Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche training doesn’t reduce risk of incident, says researcher

Poster: A snowHead
New research has found that people with avalanche training are no less likely to be involved in an avalanche than other skiers, and that being accompanied by a woman tends to reduce the risk. Albi Sole, program co-ordinator for Public Avalanche Awareness Programs at the University of Calgary Outdoor Centre, has just finished a master’s degree looking at who is at the highest risk of being involved in an avalanche incident. He found that the male backcountry skiers, aged 25-29 years, with a bachelor’s degree or higher and earning about $10,000 more than provincial average are most at risk. ...The study included 447 skiers, who were asked about their socio-economic status, attitudes and experiences on the slopes during one season. Of the people involved in the study, 35 had been involved in an avalanche incident. Only one had experienced injuries of any significance due to an avalanche.

For more information see: http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/nov27-08/avalanche
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a pointless study....

This is like saying having a driving license make you more likely to be in a car crash rolling eyes

For sure people with avalanche gear and training are more likely to be involved in incidents.
Mainly because they are more likely to venture off piste in the first place.
I could have told you that with out spending a year at uni!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Canadian masters degrees take longer than a year.. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely what they should have studied was the survival chances of those who have studied avalanches compared to those who hadn't for all those in an avalanche, that might have given slightly more useful data Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Being accompanied by a woman reduces the risk becuase it means you're still in the kitchen or at the ironing board wink

I agree with the above- absolutely pointless study unless you have a control population which spends the same amount of time in the backcountry but doesn't do any education or stats are filtered by time spent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Glad about the money part, thought I was fooked for a moment there Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hands up those of you who have actually read this guys study/thesis...........?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The demographics are interesting as a comparison to the last figures compiled by the Mountain Rescue Council, Those most likely to need MRT in the UK are males aged 21-30yrs and are from the home counties, so the age group is similar as is the affluence factor.

But If research was looked at for kayak accidents/deaths and mountain biking accidents Im sure the same age group would feature.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Experience counts more than any training, certificates in any sports or industry.

You can take a kid out of university with a plethora of training & certificates but unless you gain the experience they are the same as the next guy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
447 surveyed, and 35 (8%) reported to have been in an "avalanche" yet only one of 35 was injured. hmmm......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
447 surveyed, and 35 (8%) reported to have been in an "avalanche" yet only one of 35 was injured. hmmm......

the words were "been involved in an avalanche incident" so presumably that could include rescuers, bystanders and so on
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, you must be a lawyer or something wink if it does indeed include rescuers etc would'nt really be a fair sample though.

sample set sound weird to me, would you say 8% of backcountry skiers have been involved in an incident? perhaps, but i felt if 8% actually in an avalanche sounded high to me..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think the article on pistehors (previous post in this section) is much more useful... not least because its based on actual incidents, rather than 'questioning... status, attitudes and experiences'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, don't ski with Tim Tim Rich but Dim, take the wife or mistress.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

being accompanied by a woman tends to reduce the risk

that is to misunderstand - or at least misprepresent - the statistics. On a given day, and itinerary, it wouldn't reduce the risk at all. That statement makes it sound like you should take wife (or mistress) like a sort of lucky charm.
ski holidays
pam w, hey, if someone wants to take me on their ski holiday at their expense, as a lucky charm, good omen, spiritual guru, snow digger etc, etc, I'm here for the asking!!!! Laughing
snow conditions
sharon1953, I'll put myself forward as a blokey alternative too. Queue up quietly... bribery will get you anywhere... I can cook too Little Angel
snow report
Critiquing a study on the basis of the newspaper report is a pointless exercise. If you want to make a decent evaluation go to the original study.
snow report
Best comment so far.
latest report
Well done T Bar (and PP). To suggest you can conduct a randomised controlled trial into accidents is bonkers.
This is the real world. We have to make best use of the data available. So well done to Albi Sole for trying.
Even the summary is full of sensible useful information.
e.g.
"The message here isn’t that avalanche training is the problem. It’s just that training opens the door to a recreational activity that is very valuable to this group"
"It would obviously be far more dangerous to do these sports without proper training"
"Going out into the wilderness carries about the same risk as being a motorist,"
"the potential risk of being involved in an avalanche is much less than the risk to your health from physical inactivity"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy