Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Walkie Talkie

Poster: A snowHead
Hi i just bought a set of Cobra MT200 because they seemed a good deal. But am now unsure whether they will be good enough to use on the slopes does anyone have any idea how good they are or if there are any better walkie talkies for the job?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At £20 a pair I suspect they'll be almost average. Only 8 channels so you might find others on your frequency, and I doubt you'll get anywhere near 5km in the mountains. You might get 2 or 3 in perfectly clear line of sight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10-4 Rubber duck..

I love these radio threads, just wish i was in my big rig now..with ali MacGraw
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Madams wrote:
Hi i just bought a set of Cobra MT200 because they seemed a good deal. But am now unsure whether they will be good enough to use on the slopes does anyone have any idea how good they are or if there are any better walkie talkies for the job?

A mobile phone !! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we've been using the motorola T5522 for the past 3 years. battery is re-chargable and has 308 channels on it. good for illiminating other users.
also range is good. £80 a pair.
the new motorola range looks like a bottle of shower gel?
just keep fresh batts in the walkie talkies and they should be ok.
don't use your mobile unless A - you are minted or B - have a country of origin mobile sim card. (well advised).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kel wrote:
A mobile phone !! Laughing Laughing
Can prove to be costly. 2 ways are a great way to keep in touch on the mountain
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Madams, I bought a really cheap Motorola pair from Maplins for £19.99 a few years ago and found them to be great. I admit that it's sometimes difficult to get a response from the other walkie talkie if there is an obstruction but I think this is a common problem for walkie talkies. Having said that, I contacted my friend who was on the nearside of La Plagne when I was at the mid station of the Transarc in Les Arcs above Vallandry, which was about 6-7km as the crow flies. I think you'll be fine with what you have bought. Not sure about the number of channels. Mine has 8 main channels but you can select a number of privacy channels within a main channel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we have used the cobras too - no problem. all basic two-ways that dont require a licence have basically the same range - apparently. More a case of which features you want- so if its just press and talk then anything should do - rechargeable is handy - but spare batteries are useful to have. Knock mobiles for 6 as long as you are within range!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kel, A company mobile is even better!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mine are some mid range Adventure 450's picked up for about £10 on flee bay. Did the job last year in Cham'
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers guys some great advice I tried out the Mt 200s on the mountains (brecon beacons) just near me and they barely did 0.3miles (as crow flies) which was a bit dissapointing!! I have now sent them back but am looking at some doro ones the wt77 or wt87 does anyone have any info or reviews on them? Also ill take a look at the motorola ones the sx900R looks good for £30!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd defo get ones with the privacy channels within the main channels. Some friends got some real cheap ones with only the main 8 channels and they were flooded with noise, even in the very quiet ski mecca of La Ros....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah but with these "PMR" walkies there is no real privacy remember. and only around 8 channels - so you have to choose one that you can't hear other people on. When people do share your channel its tricky to negotiate swapping (plus they can be plain rude!). We use motorola and panasonics - very useful... would be good to know how the new round ones get on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

they barely did 0.3miles (as crow flies) which was a bit dissapointing!!

that's really bad. In clear line of sight? We have cheap ones which do a good 5 kms, but they have a big drawback which is worth watching out for. You can "cook" the batteries if you leave them on charge. Given that the obvious system is to leave them on the chargers overnight and pick them up when (if) you go out in the morning, that's a real nuisance. I'm thinking of investing in some new ones as they now seem so cheap.

It's certainly well worth having the 7 channels, or whatever, broken down into sub-channels.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just looking on amazon and see that ours are not actually that cheap. But the flaw with the battery chargers makes them worth avoiding, I think

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2-Way-Radio-Twin-Walkie-Talkie-Charger/dp/B0006FOARI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228944612&sr=8-8&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
I've got some Motorolas that I use mountain biking. T5522 I think, they've never let me down and survived being crashed and covered in mud. Can you use PMR 2 way radios in Canada? I'm of the Whistler in Feb.
snow conditions
I bought a set of Uniden PMR 885 from ebay, £30ish and they have been great - sub channels so you can avoid other people on your channel (or join in with random strangers' conversations if you prefer !) and a suprsingly good range, on occasion...Flegere to Le Tour !

(They came with headsets and voice activated mics but I've never used those)

If you're on the other side of the hill you can fail to get a signal even when quite close, but generally I've found them really handy, good (rechargeable) battery life and as mentioned above, loads cheaper than international calls !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy