Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going skiing in school term times

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if all you parents out there would mind if this teacher took a week out of school to benefit from all the cheaper ski holiday prices in term time. Not only would this save me money, but a week away from the stress of the classroom plus the benefits of experiencing life in another country whilst breathing the rejuvenating mountain air would surely improve my teaching far more than a week in any classroom could. Just imagine the benefit to your child when I returned to teach them after my week away. If you could just contact my headteacher to explain your support for this well thoughtout idea, I would be most appreciative....... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blizt, Just so long as you go on the week that my sons wont be at school 'cos thay're away skiing, that'll be fine Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blizt, you have got my blesssing, go !
the parents are allowed to take the kids out of school for agreed amount of days a year, and I believe, the teachers should be allowed the same as well,
my next door is a teacher at my son's school, I see her going to school when we go downstairs to have breakfast ! She returns at 5.30, that is just an infant school,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blizt, feel free to take the last week of term off - all you chaps then do is let the kids watch videos while you scoff mince-pies... Toofy Grin

helena57, Pupils - even in primary are not allowed any days off like that around here - and haven't been for some years - mores the pity.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

let the kids watch videos while you scoff mince-pies...

Videos - we've advanced to DVDs round here - Sussex is clearly so yesteryear. Anyway, I teach ICT so obviously all my classes ever do all year is play games on the internet Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, we get 10 days a year,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother wrote:
blizt, feel free to take the last week of term off - all you chaps then do is let the kids watch videos while you scoff mince-pies... Toofy Grin

We were scoffing mince pies today - warm, with clotted cream Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think what's wrong here is that holiday companies profit from the fact that parents/teachers can only travel certain weeks of the year and hike prices accordingly...

Doesn't affect me as I have no kids and choose to travel at non-peak times, but I can see how it irritates both of my sisters with kids. It also means I'd never be able to go on holiday with them...

I feel your collective pain...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blizt,

Yes that's OK by me. I'll send you a note for your Headmaster.

When I went skiing for the first time with school there weren't any packages never mind cheap packages. The teacher made all of the arrangements using the old fashioned franked letter to Switzerland and telephone (I think he had to give the Post Office a days notice to set up the telephone link to Switzerland). We went by ferry to Calais and train through to Switzerland, it was an adventure not the commodity it is now.

The same was true when I arranged ski holidays for university students, no email, no internet, no cheap flights just old fashioned planning and organisation.

So instead of paying tour operators through the nose, because they have to make a profit, just organise the whole thing yourself.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
blizt, With all those long summer holidays you should go skiing then and not set such a bad example by going skiing in term time Toofy Grin wink
Why do schools have a long summer holiday? Why not a long winter holiday. At least it would save a fortune in not having to overheat all those classrooms, school halls, canteens and Headteachers office complexes. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia,

If your sisters chose to have kids then that's their decision and they shouldn't be irritated when you go skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Teacher friend of mine is off to New Zealand for 5 weeks next Summer skiing. Those 5 weeks still leave him with 8 more weeks holidays. Easy life...Days of every second week now for 'marking and prep'................ Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh God, this will get my wife going (she's works as an adviser in Surrey education). Every half-term I moan about the cost and then I get the inevitable "Well, I could give up work you know". Every Sunday night I get the "Can I retire yet". I always say no, of course.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blizt.....why dont you just go during the crimbo holidays, surely you get enough holidays as it is?? Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
13 weeks holiday and a cracking pension!!... sorry, no way.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman Twisted Evil , you are so boring. I always thought school was overrated anyway. Let the poor guy have all the time off he wants. Who would ever want to teach in a classroom all day. Yuk!! Laughing
ski holidays
snowcrazy, I have 2 kids of secondary school age, that makes 4 people that I have to pay the premium rate for. Now where did my 13 weeks holidays and cracking pension go........
latest report
barthez1980, She is!
latest report
You're lucky - I had 3 kids of secondary school / university age until recently. Down to 1 now and persuaded the oldest who is working to actually pay for herself. She doesn't seem to realise she's probably got more disposable income than her parents !
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
queen bodecia,

If your sisters chose to have kids then that's their decision and they shouldn't be irritated when you go skiing.

Fair point, but shame I can't take my nephew skiing ever...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, You can take him when he leaves school - or maybe to a glacier in the summer?
snow report
Most teachers whoI know have no problems with children having the occasional holiday with their parents during term time as long as it is not too frequent and not near important exams.
ski holidays
Take the time off, just work like the rest of us for the additional weeks you miss out on during the rest of the year!

Reminds me of a kibbutz meeting, they were discussing changing the working week from 6 to 5. One of the "niks" suggested that they should work to a 5 day week and start by doing 2!!!
snow conditions
I posted the original tongue in cheek question when feeling more than a little jaded by the mountain of coursework waiting to be marked by my desk. I would never complain seriously about the amount of holidays (although as a snowHead I'd prefer them at colder times of the year). I just wondered whether anyone would jump on the "only work from 8 till 3 & have more holidays than work days" band wagon. Good to see that sentiment hasn't prevailed. Just sorry no bashes are run in school holidays Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
Easy life.

Pretty offensive to my girlfriend, I have to say.
latest report
blizt, Organise a school ski trip and run it during term time. That way you get in an extra ski trip once a year. Thats what I do. Razz Sure, youre still with students, but its a good alternative to being stuck in a classroom.
ski holidays
Take a sicky- we don't need no education. Broken limbs or tan google eyes may take some explining.
snow conditions
Quote:

Broken limbs or tan google eyes may take some explining.

Just ski in a balaclava. Has the additional advantage that any parents sneaking the kids on a trip in term time won't recognise you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Easy life.

Pretty offensive to my girlfriend, I have to say.

My wife would probably feel the same as your gf, but we just have to put it down to ignorance on the part of the poster.
ski holidays
I'm sure the fat controller works 10-11 hour days with unpaid overtime regularly
latest report
Ray Zorro, agreed. My daughter is in her first year of full time teaching, in a very demanding school, and working 104 hour weeks. Hopefully she will get on top of it and calm down a bit as she becomes more experienced; at present the stress is causing her lots of problems. I'd like to see some of these "easy life" people coping with a class of unruly adolescents twice their size. Another friend has just become headteacher in a primary school in a good catchment area - very high performing school. All her teachers are in before her in the morning (she arrives at 8 am) and she's having to chase them out of the school at night, hours after lessons finish.

One wonders why, as it's such an easy life with such a great pension, all the people who moan about their own much harder lot are not doing it. wink
snow report
pam w, I didn't say it was an easy life BUT it certainly has many plus points.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, pam w,

I have a few mates that are teachers. They could all do with spending a few years in reality before they start "educating" children.
snow conditions
Johnboy, unless you have ever spent a few years teaching kids then you're on pretty thin ice with that argument
ski holidays
johnboy, Frosty the Snowman it would certainly be very good if more people with experience of "reality" trained and worked as teachers. I wonder why so few of them do it and even fewer stick at it? And why headteacher vacancies are at crisis level in some areas?
snow report
pam w wrote:
My daughter is in her first year of full time teaching, in a very demanding school, and working 104 hour weeks. Hopefully she will get on top of it and calm down a bit as she becomes more experienced; at present the stress is causing her lots of problems. I'd like to see some of these "easy life" people coping with a class of unruly adolescents twice their size. Another friend has just become headteacher in a primary school in a good catchment area - very high performing school. All her teachers are in before her in the morning (she arrives at 8 am) and she's having to chase them out of the school at night, hours after lessons finish.

One wonders why, as it's such an easy life with such a great pension, all the people who moan about their own much harder lot are not doing it. wink

If she is working almost 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, then she is doing something seriously wrong.
ski holidays
It's because they don't like the easy life. It's far more challenging in reality, don't you see
ski holidays
I know several teachers and best mate is a Headmaster. They do work long hours, and it is no doubt a stressful job. I am not knocking their commitment, dedication or professionalism at all......(however, if they are working a regular 104 hour week, I would suggest that they are somewhat out of their depth, and should consider switching career)

However, I work in Industry. I also work long hours, and know people who work a lot longer hours than me. I am on call 24x7, at the mercy of clients across the globe. If I make a mistake, I get fired. If times get hard, I get made redundant. I chose my career path, they chose theirs - probably with their eyes wide open. They have after all been in the education system for at least 15 years prior to taking it up professionally. They knew the terms and conditions, so stuff 'em. Make 'em take holidays when the schools are closed.
snow report
Quote:

something seriously wrong.

with my arithmetic..... Embarassed she's in her first year of teaching, which is hopefully the hardest, and she will become faster and maybe less conscientious. She works from 8 am to 7 or 8 pm 5 days a week and does a full day of preparation and marking at the weekend. I don't think the OP was making a serious point about taking time off in term time. I still think it's astonishing, if life in industry is so hard and precarious, that so few people switch to become teachers.
snow conditions
pam w, And with my arithmetic, that is 5x 12 hour days, which means she is working 22 hour days on Saturday and Sunday to make up a 104 hour week. I sincerely hope it does not get any harder for her.....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy