Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resorts for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Folks,

Complete novice requires advice - where best to go in Austria in early January for 2 beginners. Inital thoughts are Obergurgl - been there lots in summer and like it - or Ischgl or Neustift
Also - just how much clothing do you need to tolerate temperatures down around -10C and lower??
Thanks in advance for any advice

Regards, Geoff
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
geoff10, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geoff10,
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Out of that lot I have only been to Ischgl, I would not particularly recommend it to beginners as it is quite expensive the nursery slopes are up the mountain and you have to buy a full area pass to get to them. Great area but when you are having to buy a whole load of kit as a beginner you might find it very expensive and not be able to appreciate its good points.

Galtur in the same valley is very suited to beginners.

Secret of clothing is layering. Skiing is not usually as cold as novices think , but on occasions it can be very cold in January. All the areas you mention are high and cold is more likely to be a problem.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The main priority for beginners is the quality of the ski schools. I've never had lessons in Austria so can't help you there but I'm sure other snowHead can provide such help.

The one point I'd make about clothing (apart from the layering mentioned above) is to have something to cover your face with if the wind blows. I usually wear a scarf or something else aroung my neck which I can pull up over my chin and nose when needed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Geoff,
How fantastic, your first ski experience. Hope you really enjoy it. The advice already posted is right, layers is the key as beginners do quite a bit of climbing before learning to use lifts and this can get you warm, to say the least! Also, a resort which has the ski area close by the village is much easier to deal with and much less tiring especially with children. The Austrian ski schools are legendary, and I would heartily recommend Niederau in the Tirol as a perfect place to start your ski life.
Good luck
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
geoff10, Have you thought about Saalbach? Obergurgl would be a great choice though. Like Tbar says, Ischgl probably not best suited but Galtur or Kappl down the road would fit the bill. I would not be worried about the cold as long as you layer, as the above posters have stated. The cold in the Alps is a dry cold and not the damp cold that you get in the UK - as a result it does not feel as cold.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geoff10,

Welcome to Snowheads.

Scroll down this link to see ...

"Ski Resorts with the Best gentle Skiing in Austria"

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Austria/TopAustrianSkiResorts.html

Make sure you have a rucksack with you so that you have somewhere to put the surplus layers should you become too hot.

Here's a summary of current snow depths
http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoff10,

Regarding the trip there are many suitable places in Austria so to narrow down the options-

What's your budget? Where are you flying to? Are you booking a package or DIY from the point of view of the potential transfer difficulties? Have you ever skied, even at a snowdome? Do you want somewhere with other things to do if either of you decide to have a day off skiing?

On clothing, agree with T Bar, layers are the secret, as is quality, if cost is not an issue buy the good stuff- it works and lasts. I use North Face baselayer with Icebreaker next and then lightly lined North Face shelljacket that fastens onto slalopettes. Falke socks - there is nothing remotely comparable in quality and comfort. Don't buy cheap gloves - you will regret it- make sure they are goretex with leather palms and good insulation. Finally, please also consider a helmet, as a beginner you will probably have a few falls at low speed, however, more importantly, you won't have the skills to get out of the way of some idiot skiing beyond their ability!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geoff10, I learnt in Westendorf. Great big nursery slopes for beginners right in the centre of the village. Nightlife isn't in the same league as Saalbach or Ischgl so if crazy Apres Ski si also a re-requistie probably not ideal but for beginning your skiing experience I found it perfect.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
awksquawk, so did I, and the nurseries are indeed good, but the progression runs are a tad on the hairy side I recall. Mind you it's got a new link to Brixen or something now hasn't it, so maybe that's improved now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geoff10, My wife learned to ski in Austria in Elmau, I had been skiing for many years and obviously wanted her to take to it, so chose the resort because of very easy nursery slopes right in the village, excellent ski school, superb hotels and it links into the skiwelt, which was a much larger area for me to explore. She loved it and was up and down the local blues by day 3. Hope you have a fab time and become seriously hooked like the rest of us snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the trouble with keeping warm as a beginer having lessons is that you do a bit of skiing then stand around while everyone in your group takes there turn. so you keep warming up then cooling down again. have you thought of booking private lessons instead. might work out as cheap as a group because you will learn quicker so wont needs as many lessons , and less standing around getting cold .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoff 10, i'm sure some TO's do special deals for complete beginners where if they book a package they get free ski hire, lift pass and lessons. I think there may be a limited availability for these though, but its worth asking. I may have read about it on here somewhere so maybe someone will be able to help.

Clothing wise, as everybody says, layering is the answer. I usually wear a wicking base layer, micro fleece mid layer and ski jacket which seems to do the job for most situations.

Hope you enjoy this and many more years on the piste, but beware, it is addictive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoff10,

Masque, did an excellent summary of clothing for skiing on the cheap, it is a sticky at the top of equipment.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carolyn, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Useful first post and do keep us up to date with conditions and news from Neiderau.
snow conditions
of the 3 you mentioned Neustift / Stubai Glacier would be my choice - it has superb slopes to progress into, has excellent snow and a great lift system.
snow report
Hi Geoff, I learnt in Obergurgl and had a great time, so much so that I go back every March. The nursery slopes are separated from the main slopes but only by a short walk. Seppl who taught me, still takes the beginners classes and is a very good instructor, he had our group at the top of Wurmkogel on the fourth day. As it's at pretty high altitude, Obergurgl's good for early season and late season trips. I now go DIY and take a train from Innsbruck to Oeztal bahnhof and then the public bus up the valley.
latest report
Folks,

Thanks for all the good advice - much appreciated. My sister (works for one of the big TO's) has found us a great deal to a posh hotel in Obergurgl! so off we go after the New Year. Can't wait!

Regards, Geoff
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy