Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Pack

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi people , i'm doing the Haute route later in the season (guided) and i will need to get a few bits of gear Very Happy
I've been told that i will need a 40/45L pack..........Any recommendations from the expierienced ? I've looked at the Grivel Mont Blanc and Osprey Variant, but would value any opinions Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mistermouse, don't bother with a guide the tracks are easy to follow... Wink

I do multi day tours with a 38L sack which gets over filled, 40/45L sounds about right. Go too big and you will fill it, go too small and it's a pain getting at things when it's stuffed full.

Fit is the most important part so don't worry about what features it does / doesn't have... if it doesn't fit you properly you might not even make it to the end. Seriously, I know a fit guy who gave up half way because of his ill fitting pack (ask my feet about boots too Wink )

Having said that, features that are a "nice to have" include:

Hydration Compatible - it's a love / hate thing. I love it, get a good one, I would only use La Source.

Ski Carry - personal choice, I like A-Frame, it makes walking easier.

Ice Axe Holder - easier and safer to have it well attached.

Crampons Holder / Attachment - crampons, being sharp, are a pain to store.

Easy Access - top loaders are fine but having back panel / side access is awesome, especially when the bag is full. No matter how well I pack at some point I need the item that is always at the bottom of the pack.

External Pockets / Straps - some of these can be added yourself, I like the net pockets on the side of my pack, I can just access them with it on, ideal for skins / maps / food / liquids / rubbish (waste & bits n pieces). Things like ski crampons are bulky and spikey so being able to put them somewhere on the outside but can easily get them is a godsend.

Hip Pocket on Waste Belt - a great little place for all kinds of stuff.

I also always add a small karibiner to my left should strap at chest height, gloves, googles, camera and anything else that I want easy access to and take on / off regularly just clip on.

One of the (many) tiring things about long tours is faffing, if you have good systems for your gear you will be more comfortable and expend less energy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Fit is the most important part so don't worry about what features it does / doesn't have... if it doesn't fit you properly you might not even make it to the end. Seriously, I know a fit guy who gave up half way because of his ill fitting pack (ask my feet about boots too )

When trying the packs on (for fit), be sure to put a lot of weight in it. If you are not a male 'average' size, have a look at packs with an adjustable back system.

Ditto parlor, for the features. The solution to
Quote:

the item that is always at the bottom of the pack

is simply to pack everything in the top wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out the Marmot La Meije. Only 38l in the long back size but it is so well organised I can get more stuff into it than I could in my old 45l pack and it is super-comfortable.
Has all the things parlor mentions except proper hydration compatability. i don't mind this because in my hands hydration systems are more trouble than they are worth.

trying on is a good idea as the people say. i find it a little difficult to imagine what went wrong with the pack to such an extent that someone had to stop a tour but maybe I've just always been lucky with these things. maybe he was carrying too much junk Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski wrote:
is simply to pack everything in the top wink

I knew I was doing something wrong. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your replies , the Marmot La Meije looks to be a good pack with all the right features. Do you think it would be big enough for a 6 day trip ? (staying in huts), i know its a kind of 'how long is a piece of string' sort of question, but obviously once started this tour it will be a little late to have made a bad choice.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mistermouse, I use mine for that sort of trip. it's tight if I am carrying the rope and have taken most of my layers off for going uphill, but that suggests it's the perfect size to me. this thread has some pics of me modelling it:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26612

Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find my rope normally sits on top of the shoulder straps between the pack and my head when I'm really packing lots of gear. As mentioned I also cope with a 38L but then I start / return to cars or my house so I don't need to worry about other things like shoes, non ski clothes etc etc.

How is your trip organised? Some guides will send your luggage from the start point to the finish...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm going with Twid Turner http://www.sheersummits.com/ and luggage is carried by me (i think)

I will be asking them some questions but i also want the opion of the Snowheads massive snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mistermouse,
Quote:

Do you think it would be big enough for a 6 day trip ?

The advantage, and disadvantage, of a bigger pack will be that you can carry more stuff. As you won't be carrying the rope, 38L should be fine. Note that not every manufacturer's litres are exactly the same. The guides will tell you what you have to carry..try not to take anything more than you need too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mistermouse, I can say with almost complete certainty that you won't be carrying anything except what you need for the tour - valley clothes etc will be kept in Chamonix or transported to Zermatt to wait for your arrival there

most guides are quite assertive in making sure their clients don't carry too much excess weight!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Silo-40

I've got the 30 litre version which I'm well chuffed with.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy