Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very Last Minute Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I am in the fortunate position of possibly having a few free days this week - I'll find out for sure later today if work need me at all, but at the moment it looks like I am not working again until next Monday. Meanwhile all the snow reports, webcams, forecasts and indeed the comments on this forum are making me think I really should be in the Alps enjoying myself rather than sitting here wishing I was there! So I was looking at the possibility of heading over this evening and getting in a good 4 days of skiing before flying back on Sunday.

I can get to either Lyon or Geneva with easyJet no problem, and was thinking of heading for somewhere like Val d'Isere, but obviously the exact resort is not important - anywhere will do.

But the only minor problems I can think of are actually getting to a resort and once there actually finding somewhere to stay as it's a bit early in the season to expect everything to be fully open yet... Or is it? I have no idea. Can anyone already out there comment on how "open" the resorts are, specifically accomodation?

As far as I can see the likes of Altibus don't start a full service until the weekend. Any other ways of getting there, or is hire car the only way? And does anyone know if I'd have trouble finding a B&B (or similar) if I just turn up late tonight, or are they not yet fully open for the season? I'm sure that if I just go for it everything will work out fine, but thought it was worth an ask of you guys to see if anyone has any good tips for such a last minute trip.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on but thanks in advance for any tips you can offer. With a bit of luck (and no phone call from work!) I may be on my way in a few hours....

Cheers
Billy M
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are few places open now, people will be along here to let you know.

Some Verbier lifts are open all day and the conditions are fantastic. You will find B&B very easily.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Billy M,

Verbier is easy to get to from Geneva. Train from Airport to Martigny. Bus to Le Chable? The Gondola up the mountain?

You'e right it's not easy to get to other resorts like Val because the buses don't start til next w/end.

How about St Anton. Fly to Innsbruck or Zurich and train. Freidrichafen and bus. If I wasn't off to Val D next w/end I'd be going to St A for a few days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Reasonable selection of runs open in Avoriaz - not sure how much will be going on the resort though.
Getting there from GVA shouldn't be too much hassle. Try giving Ski Transfers or Alp-Line a shout - they will probably have some drivers and vehicles up and running now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Billy M, we're open, easy access from Lyon, grenoble or at a pinch Chambery airports. GVA a bit further. For short trips a hire car is recommended though rather than waste time on local transport. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much for the replies everyone.

St Anton was my first thought, welshflyer, but I don't think I can get to Friedrichshafen today - as far as I can see Ryanair not flying there today from STN and BA are pricey to Zurich, which is why I'd thought of Geneva - cheaper/more options.

Anyway, all great suggestions, thank you to everyone - I'll keep researching this afternoon the L2A, Avoriaz & Verbier (went there last year) options - this sounds a good one, train would be perfect. Just have to get to 4.30pm without a call from work and I'll be off...

Cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ctskifam, Bit misleading dear boy. Avoriaz is closed untill Saturday 6th. They only opened for the weekend. Shame as there is loadsa snow.
Billy M, We can offer you B&B in Morzine if you wanna come for the weekend. Transfers from Geneva. Come on Friday PM and be ready to roll first thing Saturday.
We have minibuses collecting staff now so can get you up and down.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi there.
I've never done a self drive but I need to get away quickly to be back for the 15th.

I don't want to drive my own vehicle. What about hiring a car one way all that way? The next thing is, I've no idea where to book a B+B.

As you can tell, I usually use package hols. But I'd like to get the hang of just being able to go for another time.

I prefer the 3 valleys as I've been there before. Gonna call round for late deals now
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think hire and a Le Praz B+B might be nice, if i can just figure out how to find the b+b's...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jago25_98, Hmm. Can you provide a bit more information. The alternative to packages isn't necessarily self-drive, and if you don't have a suitable vehicle I'd say that flying would be a better bet.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Billy M, Last year I did Saas Fee around this time. Geneva to Saas Fee by train and Poste bus. You could also do Geneva to Zermatt by train. I booked a B&B via the www.saasfee.ch site at a very reasonable price. I used the Hotel Europa, which was very nice but a bit far from the lifts. Not too much of a problem as they had use of a heated ski room in an hotel near the lifts.

Both resorts have good skiing at the moment. Saaf Fee will be more limited than Zermatt, but should be plenty for a few days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So far the plan is driving the camper to La Tania (Trois Valleys), then book accomodation when I get there. Got to have my bags ready to leave early for work if need be and unfortunately that means 50kg of bags...

I wonder if I should buy show chains on the way...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I'm ashamed to say that I'm still stuck in boring, non-skiing England!!

DallyPaul, that is a fine offer, thank you very much. Unfortunately in the end I didn't go yesterday because there were a few things I'd organised that I couldn't get out of at the weekend, so I can't take up your kind offer. But thanks for the offer.

geepee, yeah I spent yesterday looking into where I should be going and came to the conclusion a flight to Geneva then a train and bus/taxi along the valley to one of those resorts - Verbier, Crans Montana, Zermatt, Saas Fee. Seemed like the best and easiest options.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the recommendations and help. I'm just sorry it never ended up happening for me this time. Fortunately I'm very quiet work-wise over the winter months so I'll certainly be doing a short break or two if this snow carries on....

Cheers
Billy M
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I could be driving in the next few days if anyone's interested? I have a high top campervan (only vehicle) so it would be nice to get someone who's done it before!

There's space for 2 people and I'm driving from Bournemouth (all being well).

- Andrew 07811 787 591
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Drove all the way and back on my own no problems.

Dug the camper out of 2 foot powder. Scraped half an inch of ice of the inside of the windscreen. Hardest things were getting up in the morning and washing up. Everything else was fine.

Did about 5 days skiing in the end. Spent about £250, but most of that was optional. Finally got both legs together for better technique this trip (3rd week)

Next time?
Would I do it again? -definately. But I'd rather go with someone and that would mean staying somewhere warm for them so I guess I'd go for the usual package deal.

I could also spend a lot less money going to a cheaper resort and avoiding the toll roads for a slower drive. I'll try that next time.

Also, it would be nice to do some seasonaire work temporarily. That would improve the experience. Does anyone know anything like that? Like where I could supply myself as relief work for a week or 2 rather than a full season? That way I could continue my work and do it every year.
latest report
Good going, jago25_98, sounds like it was well worth the effort. Did you go to La Tania in the end? Bet you had a great time, the conditions looked great the last week or so. We drove out last year and it's really quite manageable isn't it?

I never got out there in the end unfortunately, so I'm very jealous. I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't do something like you did, but next time.... My work roster for January is pretty quiet so hopefully get out once or twice then for a few days, and also got 2 weeks off from the end of Jan (we're off to Big Sky & Jackson Hole).

I can't help with the work idea I'm afraid - have never done it myself, but always wanted to do a whole season. Looks like I may be taking a sabbatical next year and will be spending the winter chasing the snow storms in America, if it all comes together!!

Anyway, glad you had a good trip.

Cheers
ski holidays
We are doing any day arrival breaks in Les Coches and have availablity this week for anyone after a quick last minute in all this FANTASTIC snow!!! Three nights catered chalet accommodation £99 or £139 (depending on when you go and how close to xmas it is) with a £30 supplement for a Fri & Sat night. We do transfers from Geneva at £12.50 each way (set times, evenings).

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Didn't hang around La Tania because the lifts were closed.

I'm always looking for the long view. A season or 2 in a resort is great, but I really don't want to change a good thing to do it, and I certainly wouldn't want those awful temping jobs in ther interim. I'm not sure I could go back to that permenently!

Still, I guess I could make my own employment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy