Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler? Not looking to good?

Poster: A snowHead
To all you Whistler experts and those with past whistler experiences, is this the norm for whistler?? Not any snow down in the village yet!!!

Any thoughts??

I am supposed to be going on 16th Dec but may be able to switch it to Europe instead??

Any thoughts??

Puzzled Puzzled Sad Puzzled Sad Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't worry about it. You have two full mountains to play on - even if you only get to play on the top half, there's still loads.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was just about to put a whistler post up, not that I've been or am going, but didn't like it when through my procastinations I came across a whistler forecast of rain with live temperatures stating +8c at village level Sad At least europe is looking good Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rambotion wrote:
I was just about to put a whistler post up, not that I've been or am going, but didn't like it when through my procastinations I came across a whistler forecast of rain with live temperatures stating +8c at village level Sad At least europe is looking good Little Angel

It always rains in whistler wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spent a whole year there in 1998 and heard all the same - no assurances but wow when i was there i could not see trees or beer cans and still managed to find both - outstanding.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whistler, give us some snow. I'm only going in April but will feel much happier seeing loads of snow there now.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Come on ....let it snow let it snow let it snow !!!!

I guess top half is better than nothing?! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mobsta007 wrote:
Come on ....let it snow let it snow let it snow !!!!

I guess top half is better than nothing?! snowHead

Will they have enough to open the peak to peak on time?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seems okay at that level! See they camera link tomorrow.

http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/p2pg/webcam/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett wrote:
Will they have enough to open the peak to peak on time?

Who cares? I don't know anyone who's been to whistler who thinks it's a good idea. Let's put it this way: if you were skiing chamonix, would you change ski areas half way through the day without a very good reason? No, and TBH skiing down and getting the next gondol back up is going to be be just as easy and convenient as getting the new one
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What do you mean there is no snow in Whistler, perhaps I'm jumping the gun or being a bit of a drama queen, but I'm heading out there on Jan 1st for the whole season to charge powder all day every day. After spending the season in Tignes last year and reading all about "it being the best start to a European season ever" I simply assumed Whistler would be burried under a few miles of snow by now. Rather silly of me I'm now starting to realise.

Should I be worried?

Do I need to pack my bags full of European snow when fly over there?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It goes to show that it doesn't pay to plan 12 months ahead based on a crap season in one area. Because of a dodgy season in Europe last year, many might have opted for the States this year. It's the same with tourism down here, we've had two terrible summers. Many might have booked to go abroad because of it. Sod's Law will dictate that this summer will be a blinder. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
60cm forecast over the next week. Very Happy Lets hope it happens.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Come on Drluvski!! Lets hope your forecast is right !!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just been looking at a buddies photos of Whistler. Looks great for mud wrestling village level.
snow conditions
It's terrible right now, but I have a feeling that as of Tuesday next week, our season is gonna change Smile

and while I do not think the peak 2 peak was money well spent, it will be handy to have.

it takes 7-8 mins to ski to bottom, then around 20-25 mins to upload a mountain, so a total of around 30 mins to change mountains, the peak 2 peak will get you there in 11. thats a decent time saving, and once you get to learn the mountains, it doesn't take long to work out which aspect got the good snow the previous night, and then depending on which aspect, you go ski a certain area/s. Also, it will let us be able to get 'first' tracks on Peak chair AND Glacier/Spankys in the SAME day Smile

then again, I think the money could've been better spent in many ways.... new lifts elsewhere for new terrain. I do think it will be good for summer hiking and hopefully biking on blackcomb :0
snow report
wbsr, I hope your Tuesday prediction is right as that's when I'm heading over... Toofy Grin
snow report
I hope so too jcbaragorn, I am heading over on the 16th Dec, COME ON WHISTLER !!! SHOW US YOUR SNOW !!!
snow report
8th December - Monday.. Increasing cloudiness. Snow beginning in the afternoon.
Snowfall accumulation 5 to 10 cm.
Freezing level 1200 metres.
ski holidays
10cm today. Looking a bit better for your trip mobsta007,
ski holidays
Looks like a big storm is pushing through the week so hopefiully you get some snow.
snow report
Yeaahhh looking a lot better now and even some snow in the Village!!! Just something about an ARCTIC WIND now !!
snow report
Im in edmonton, i know not near, but its -29 right now, and with the wind chill its -39, Its bloody cold, its set to warm up a bit on tuesday.
ski holidays
Gjspain wrote:
I Its bloody cold,

That, I think, is a bit of an understatement! How cold will it be in the mountains if it's -29º in Edmonton?
latest report
The Banff snow report thread is saying down to about -40C - with wind chill added on!
ski holidays
cathy, good grief! I've only once been in temperatures that cold (-30 ish, plus wind chill) and it was quite a scary experience. Started to get a touch of frost nip on my nose, so headed lower down the mountain to find a warm bar.
snow report
Scary cold in Whitefish - every who took the first chair up this morning went straight into top lodge to warm up/deal with potential frostbite.
snow conditions
yup, extremely cold here in Whistler right now, good looking forecast for the Xmas / New Years period though. It better be real !!
We are suffering from a high pressure system keeping the precip away from the coast.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BUMP!!!!

The Acacias are back in Whistler, and conditions are kicking.

We arrived on Friday evening, to about 60cm new snow and a pristine alpine (not open on Friday). (Not unexpected, due to assiduous reading of wbsr's, blog)

Saturday morning dawns with bluebird skies and a pack of powderhounds slavering at the prospect. I hit Blackcomb, since it's the nearest to the condo we're renting, and the pack is out in force (apparently even bigger on Whistler) - Not so good for the most recent arrivals (me) since I always think its a good idea to test the ski legs on something unthreatening before hitting the steeper and
deeper, but fortunately, the only lifts open early are those accessing the groomed terrain, while the patrol carry out the avy safety checks.

Eventually the Glacier express opens, but this just generates a line-up on Spanky's. In fact, at one point the tail of this line looked like it was going to meet up with the line extending back from the Showcase T-bar. Both access points to the Glacier eventually open (to rousing cheers from the assembled multitude), and I eventually get up and over at around 1pm.

The powder is deep, but heavy, and as it gets tracked out, it starts getting heavier, so after my first run down the Glacier I'm toast.

Mrs. A, being of a tender disposition, stayed in on Saturday (which meant that I could have unrestrained fun), but takes to her skis this morning. - Another bluebird day! Is two in a row a record for Whistler?

Also - and unlike Saturday - the crowds have gone. So has the powder, flattened out into into a cement-like texture which is a bit hard on the old legs. However, by the afternoon, it's softened up, and Seventh Heaven is a blast.

WooooHoooooo!!
ski holidays
I'm off to Whistler in 2 weeks time - staying at the Fairmont Chateau.

Be interested to hear your take on general snow conditions - we ski 99.99999% on piste so aren't too worried about off-piste getting tracked out or how much powder there is. Of more concern to us is are the pistes (or trails as I've discovered they are called over there) icy or are there patches of mud showing through etc?

Could you link to wbsr's blog please! Oh, and isn't the whistler piste map (holiday company sent one through) just unlike anything i've ever seen in europe
snow report
fleetelise, got back last week and wasn't too bad
(twisted my knee on a run though so only got 3 days of skiing in Sad Sad )
though sharon got loads in. conditions aren't bad at present though some of the lower slopes had some ice (hence knee)
photos are here
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/845
and PM me if you want more details. snowHead

If you are in the Fairmont 2 things i'd say
1. Pompadour (I think that is how it is spelt is a small snack bar under the Fairmont, great for breakfasts)
2. watch out for the path to lower village as they weren't gritting it and it got really slippy and icy
ski holidays
rob and sharon, thanks - haven't figured out how to do PMs.

Any tips on good places to eat and bars for the evening. Not much of a disco lover, but like to go to a bar with a bit of atmosphere.
ski holidays
fleetelise,PM click on the persons name and you should have an link there

Blacks at the bottom of whistler is an ok pub but expensive for food.
Longhorns food isn't too bad and prices are ok.
Our favourite is GLC, food it good and not expensive as are the drinks (have experience of this , this year after twisting knee Sad Crying or Very sad ) Can get busy though
Old Spaghetti Factory is ok too, though again gets busy
Monks grill in upper village is nice but pricey as it is a “proper” restaurant
Trying to remember the name of the place we had breakfast at on a couple of days (Pompadour I think) again upper village side again as we were in Glacier lodge this years.

As for on the mountain we love Chic Pea on Whistler.
Ski down upper whiskey jack from the gondola station and it’s in front of you. Gets less busy than some of the other places.
ski holidays
fleetelise, PM by using the link at the top of the page 'send/read messages' just under the SnowHeads logo.
snow conditions
Have a shufty of this

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=290965
snow report
fleetelise,

Just scroll up the page to one of wbsr's posts, and click the "Whistler snow reports" link at the bottom.

The new trail map is an abomination. Fortunately, we know our way around pretty well now, so don't really use it. I can't think what possessed them to change the perfectly serviceable old one. (Well I can, I guess: it's the same reason that the august educational establishment at which I toil periodically blows a fortune on a new "visual identity").

The groomed trails vary, depending on where they are on the mountain. Generally, they're not icy, although those around mid-mountain can be pretty crusty first thing in the morning. You're most likely to encounter problems on the high-volume traffic areas, like some of the cat tracks (to and from 7th Heaven on Whistler; around the bottom of the Crystal zone on Blackcomb). The lower part of the hill is starting to get a bit slushy by the end of the day, although they're in better nick than they were a couple of years ago, when it got quite warm. This is the only time I ski these (when I'm heading down at the end of the day). My guess is that they might be a bit nasty first thing in the morning, if they've frozen overnight. - This could be more of a problem in a couple of weeks time, if it starts to get a bit warmer. Higher up, you'll find them pretty good, and there's a comprehensive list of groomed runs published on the resort website each day. - But you should take advantage of your trip here to venture off the groomed runs. Everything inbounds is avalanche controlled and patrolled, and so there's a great opportunity to extend the range of terrain you can explore - the best thing about Whistler isn't the range of groomed trails (although this is pretty extensive) - it's the variety of the terrain: take some lessons, or a programme like the "Ski Esprit" instruction/guiding - and don't forget to hook up with the Mountain Hosts, who run free tours of each mountain every morning.

Everyone else,

Whistler has returned to normal over the last couple of days (in other words, the sun's disappeared and half the mountain's been enveloped in low cloud). The good news is that it's a big mountain - or pair of mountains, and you can still find pockets where you can see to ski. Also, the freezing level's stayed pretty low, so at least we haven't been rained on. Additionally, the occasional flurries have been laying a thin coating of new snow over the tracked-out cement, making for nice riding.

Monday provided enough sunshine in the morning for a few trips in Harmony bowl, where the snow was in rather better nick than over on Blackcomb. This morning, though, Whistler mountain seemed to be enveloped in fog, so we were up on Blackcomb most of the day.
Some nice packets of powder around off the Solar Coaster lift, first thing in the morning. Since it was midweek, and the Canadian Spring break has just ended, there were no crowds, no lift lines and most people preferred to stick to the two groomed trails that run down beside this lift. However, just across from these there are two runs - "Stoker" and "Cruiser Bumps" that get neglected (maybe because they have bumps), and these were very nice indeed. - They were still holding up at about 3pm, although by this time the fog had moved around to make one think that terrain-following radar would be a useful piece of kit to incorporate into the helmet.

The forecast is for clear skies and sunshine on Wednesday, so we'll probably be heading up on Whistler to ski the Peak.
snow report
Acacia wrote:
fleetelise,
The new trail map is an abomination. Fortunately, we know our way around pretty well now, so don't really use it.

Forgot to warn people about that one. the new piste map is not great and if you can afford it I found the guide book well worth the money with photos of runs etc.
there are 2 one for beginner / intermediate and one for more advanced
have a great time
snow conditions
fleetelise, BBK's (which is across the way from the Chateau) is a favourite of some friends of ours as a place to go and eat. Bistro style and not too pricey. The Brewhouse is OK too but has been a bit up and down the last few years. Not been this season but will do for Murray Camp apres while we're there so we'll probably eat there one or two nights. Blacks do good pizzas and the GLC is a favourite too. We're out for Easter too - flying out on the 4th April. Can't wait now Very Happy How long are you there for?
latest report
geetee, i think we get nine days skiing starting on the 10th april. We're having a city break in Vancouver prior to going up to whistler.
snow report
fleetelise, oh that brings back memories of my honeymoon with mrgeetee - we did a Vancouver city break followed by around 9 days at the Chateau. Very Happy I hope you have a lovely time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy