Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

moguls?

Poster: A snowHead
any one got any links to good video clips or advice on how to ski moguls

we are having a few lessons while away this year, but i've never skiied moguls before and would like to get my head around the technique required. things like do you aim to turn ontop, up the side of, or at the base of the bumps - i really haven't a clue!

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
put some head phones on, turn up the sound and enjoy

http://uk.youtube.com/v/ausvn9sTaME
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blueberry, here's my take on it...(I have no qualifications, a modicum of experience and a deep joy of fine mountain dining)... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=726971&highlight=bumps#726971
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another snowHead linked to this site which I think is excellent
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry about this - you're not going to like it.
You can't learn to ski bumps from a video or website.
The first thing you'll notice is that the world is lumpy. You need to control your speed (with less room for maneuver). You need to choose a good route. You need to control the rotation of your skis MUCH faster that on piste. etc etc etc
Best advice I can give would be to take private lessons
Wear a helmet
Get used to falling over
Give it a go
DON'T try copying what you see other doing - you'll never do it to start with
GO SLOW
Wear a helmet

The route that you choose will be linked to your skiing ability. You can go over them, round them, though the hollows then up the next, down the back and round the next etc etc. There is no set way down a bumps field.

Some are on quite flat terrain and are quite small and soft - some are on VERY steep slope and very big and hard.
I would try the soft flat ones first and then move into different gradients as you feel able to.

Good luck (wear a helmet)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, Do you think it's advisable to wear a helmet on moguls? Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like a mogul or two. Preferably relatively small and not too close together.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Preferably relatively small and not too close together.

and all the same size and shape...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like the flat ones best Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, and not those icy ones with a sheer drop off the front either.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The route that you choose will be linked to your skiing ability.

Quite agree. As an intermediate, the technique that worked well for me last yr on mogully reds was to plant my pole pretty much in the centre of the bump & turn round the pole as normal. You have to be more dynamic in your skiing too.

Works as long as the bumps aren't the size of Volkswagon Beetles of course! Then only God can help you! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blueberry, finding the right sort of moguls (as Poo would say) is really really important. Smallish is important- but soft is vital at first.

Some videos are good- Mrs Ed and I both found Martin Heckleman's videos very helpful-- but others not so good/useless.

There are lots of ways to ski moguls. But however you ski them you need good basic techniques- foot steering, shot swing, jump, rocket or even larger GS turns can all work if your basic skills are strong enough....so practice this first.

We also found that our mogul skiing- like off piste did not progress gradually- much more like riding a bicycle- for us we at first couldn't do it- then we could and weren't really sure how that came about! After practicing our basic skills- and watching some videos we were lucky enough to find some smallish but very soft moguls down from Mont Vallon in Meribel- an epiphany....we then had some really good tuition from a lady instructor in Val D'Isere- I think she was called Violane Schnider (probaby wrong spelling there - sorry) (she also happens to enter mogul competitions) and she very gently upped our pace....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
here you go, bode miller teaching:

http://youtube.com/v/4qH5Cpr3Kc0
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The technique I remember most when I first started doing moguls is that it's much easier to pivot your skis on the top of a mogul. Try it - get on top of a mogul and your skis will pivot really easily. As others have said though, there's no set way to get down, more a mixture of techniques.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Buy some really long fat skis, and use them to practice moguls on. When you go back to normal skis, they'll be a piece of wee wee.
snow report
I've never yet plucked up the courage to ski a proper mogul field, though I've stood at the top of a few thinking about it (and ultimately bottling it).

Later this month, though. Zermatt. The Triftji bumps. Got to be done, right? Skullie

http://www.bumpbash.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=154&g2_serialNumber=2
snow conditions
As I'm still a beginner at moguls I find it helpful to ski the small moguls that appear on the piste after a snowfall. You can aim for those to practice on without being stuck in a huge mogul field. You can have a lot of fun with these - even getting a little airborne.
I was taught to turn on the top of the mogul and this is easier because the snow tends to be softer on the tops. You have to keep your weight forward and look ahead.
ski holidays
blueberry, hard to learn from text but one drill i like is to find the easiest looking bump field you can find in resort to start with. Try skiing across the bumps instead of down the falline extending/ retracting you legs as you go over the bumps whilst keeping your head level. Do this over and over increasing speed and try to feel like your knees are hitting your chest as you soak up the bumps. What feels like huge movements will actually be pretty small but will help greatly when you start to ski down the bumps.

Im out saturday for 6 days of bumps training so we shall see if that works Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I've never yet plucked up the courage to ski a proper mogul field, though I've stood at the top of a few thinking about it (and ultimately bottling it).

Ditto. One of the Warren Miller videos (can't remember which, and it's in France so can't check) has a very useful set of skills to practice - and he says that to practice until you can do them all properly on a flat slope before taking them into the moguls. That makes sense to me; when I've skied bits of moguls I've got down them in an appalling manner. Waste of time; better stay on a blue practising the drills!

I did once ski some not-very-difficult moguls really well, following very close behind an instructor who was picking the right line and pace for my ability. Felt fantastic, but I couldn't repeat it on my own. Embarassed
snow conditions
blueberry, Start with very small. 'bumps in the making' on piste, often found in the afternoons and build from there. You can use then to set the line and practice your technique in an easy environment.
latest report
blueberry, My advice is have a go at something not too steep, like david@mediacopy, suggestS. Baby growing ones on the edges of blue runs are nice to start with. The fluffy snow mounds that pile up at the end of the day on flattish blues are a good place to start. Unless you have the fearlessness of a rhino, avoid anything steep and car sized and frozen.

Moguls are my favourite, mostly because I can go slowly down something challenging. They are great for sorting turns out for me - it is nice to think 'I'm going to initiate my turn HERE and NOW' on the top of a big mound. I can't do it like the pros do, and spent a particularly humiliating afternoon on Black Magic in Banff Norquay in the mogul field under the chairlift - a rather sweet lady on blades swooshed past me on the run at least 4 times Embarassed before I had got down once, but the hipflask at the bottom never tasted so good snowHead . Oh, and same in Val D, and in Serre Che...ok A theme is emerging. Embarassed

Just go out and have some fun.
snow report
pam w, I assume you meant Warren Smith? I get them mixed up too Smile
snow conditions
Winter Park is brilliant for learning moguls. The are blue run moguls especially for beginners. Having gained a bit of confidence we went over to Mary Jane to do a black run. It looked ok to start off with. Shocked
snow conditions
we're off to adh and have got a few lessons booked so will be trying out some baby moguls
thanks for the tips
snow report
Jeez, I must not be good at this mogul thing since, I "learn" without wearing a helmet, and years later, I still don't bother with one!!!
snow conditions
The key question IMHO, is how to turn on one bump. After all, if you can't turn on one, how can you expect to turn on many?"

Preparation

Start with your skis on the apex of one bump with your skis pointing across the fall line.

Skis together

One of the few times where this is necessary. The idea being that one essential element is that your skis can swivel as one on the apex of the bump.

Avalement

Literally, to swallow. You bring your legs up as you crest the apex so that the bump is completely absorbed by them. Design faults in the human nervous system mean that until you get used to it, this feels as though you are grossly over-absorbing. In most people I observe skiing, absorption is happening at maybe 20% of what's required.

Fluidity comes with practice. For this single turn though I think you ideally want to be crouched to the point that as you pass over the bump and extend into the trough, your hips follow a straight line down the hill.

Anticipation

The idea is that you position yourself so that as your skis slide forward and pass over the apex, they naturally rotate on the top of the bump and you extend into the trough with your skis pointing the other way. In order for them to naturally change direction like this you need to anticipate the turn by extending the arm on the side you want to turn to, out to that side. You don't want to rotate your torso (if you're starting from the fall line) but because your skis are already pointing across the fall line and you are extending your arm in the opposite direction, you end up a little like a wound up spring, ready to trigger the rotation.

Poles

Almost essential. Your inside of the turn pole (held in your extended arm) is planted just beside your inside of turn boot.

So for the exercise...which involves a little commitment from both the instructor and the instructee.

Instructor supports the pole and allows the instructee to angulate a little edge into the bump.

Instructee pushes forward a tiny little bit - and provided all the parts are properly lined up - naturally sweeps down the front of the bump extending into the trough and with skis rotated in opposite direction.
latest report
blueberry, listen to Wayne. He talk sense.
But don't forget the first item: learn with an experienced teacher.

Despite hundreds of posts on this forum, you can not learn to ski by reading. Or watching videos.
You have to do it. Preferably with an instructor.

I like moguls. Unfortunately, they don't like me. Sad
latest report
Quote:

You bring your legs up as you crest the apex so that the bump is completely absorbed by them.

But be careful not to smack yourself full in the face with your own knee, because you will have to spend two months with your jaws wired together while all your facial bones knit back together.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, actually, the bigger risk is piercing your bum with your bindings. It can nip a little.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
be careful not to smack yourself full in the face with your own knee

So that's what the protruding attachment on the front of the helmet is for - I've always wondered . . . . snowHead
snow report
I'm 45 weigh 17 and half stone and mostly go through them
snow report
...oh and I'm shot to pieces!
snow report
[quote="Lizzard"]
Quote:

You bring your legs up as you crest the apex so that the bump is completely absorbed by them.

basically bend your knees alot when going over the bump!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy