Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

kids on icy snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
any tips please on how to help the kids get over icy patches without falling over?

they are 4 and 6 and have mainly skied at tamworth. they can do linked snowplough turns, and the older one can traverse - sn.pl turn - traverse.

when we went this weekend there was a 2m patch of ice on the top steepest bit before the bend and every single time they both went splat and ended up doing the splits in a massive snowplough shape sitting back, a pretty impossible position to get out of! recently they've always been able to get from top to bottom without falling, but this icy patch really threw them

i can't remember how i learnt to tackle ice and get over it while remaining upright. is it possible while still snowploughing, or will the trick be to teach them how to spot it and to try and avoid it!

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blueberry, almost impossible for a small kid to snowplough on rental fridge skis over ice without a lot of leg strength to maintain the position, I would think. Skis parallel, relax, breathe out, brake once back on the good stuff.

someone who knows more will be along soon
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks, that makes me feel better already

we're off to adh at new year, and just hoping it'll be good conditions and not too icy for all those lovely green runs on the piste map.
i guess if they can both crack the traversing between the snowplough turns and and to not turn actually on the icy patch that'll help. especially the little one though, just has no prediction and anticipation and can't plan her way down a slope - unless there is a large obstacle like a cone in her way then she's great.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

unless there is a large obstacle like a cone in her way then she's great.

blueberry, then your job is to lie spread-eagled on the icy patch. Job done.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
would agree with stoatsbrother, on this one. Without sounding too obvious, kids are minature versions of us and they should treat ice the same way we do. Don't try to turn, relax and make your turn once your back on the fluffy stuff again
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
But if they're very little and can only snowplough, and are on tiny skis, it's pretty difficult. You try snowploughing over an icy patch which is ten times longer than your skis, boabski. However, I bet that ADH at New Year will be a whole heap better than a fridge.
My kids had their most memorable day ever toboganning at Eaglesham, by the way; I used to drive through the village every day on my way to work when we lived in Scotland.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IIRC the ice on that bend at Tamworth is real hard stuff, like that in this here frozen river (a certain offpistesnowhead wink might be somewhere in the vicinity). As stoaty says, almost impossible so best tell them to avoid it imho
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Ah the Orry. Sledging followed by a few pints in The Swan or The Egg - as close as we can get to apres Laughing And blueberry, doubt very much that kids of that age will be taken on slopes with ice on them wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy