Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

sun cream question AND prescription glasses?

Poster: A snowHead
do i need to have special skiing sun cream?

the kids have pretty sensitive skin that burns easily, and we always (well in the summer) use an all-day-long protection spf30 that is water/sweat/sand resistant. (bergaderm). it's an australian brand and has good uva and uvb protection, is hypoallergenic and good for kids skin (i use it too)

would this be ok for skiing? never been to the alps before and not sure why skiing suncream is different - other than it comes in little tubes!

cheers

bit more added later on about sunglasses when wearing glasses....not sure how my editing it going to work!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-12-08 22:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blueberry, not special just use an extra high factor.. higher than you usually would on a summer holiday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blueberry, it comes in little tubes so you can slip it in your pocket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blueberry, Total block or minimum spf 50+ for kids and sensitive skin. Altitude and reflection make a big difference . . . Even MORE IMPORTANT is eye protection. Wrap around and full spectrum UV blocking shades and goggles. This is one of the few areas of ski wear where 'budget' isn't best.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, Yes, and I bought a highly expensive tiny tube of Piz Buin in VT in April intending to refill it to take again as I was given the tip to do so (I hadn't a tube small enough to pocket and it was sunny enough that I though re-applying at lunchtime would be a good idea so I shelled out on a tiddly tube from the ski shop at a wince worthy £12 for about 100ml).

Can I find it since coming home? Can I be bu**ered - I reckon it went home in someone else's pocket where I loaned it out. Talk about teed off - I'd had to go and buy another small tube to take to VT in a couple of weekends time. rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Remember to put sun cream on even if it looks cloudy out & keep reapplying the suncream during the day to the whole face. We always have a standard size bottle in the chalet/apartment/hotel which we use before we go out & then carry the small tubes with us on the slopes so we can keep reapplying during the day. Some of the small tubes have lip "wotsits" (can't think of the name, sorry, senior moment Shocked ) on the end which are also handy. I always go for a high factor as a sunburnt face on top of a completely white neck (cos it's been zipped up in your coat all day) is particularly unattractive when you put on a v-necked t-shirt in the evening
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blueberry, I once got burnt in April up my nostrils and down my ear holes. And I am a Kiwi who doesn't burn easily. Remember... snow reflects about 90% of UV light.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the one we have used before has 8-12 hour protection which has lasted all day before without needing reapplying.
maybe we'll start off with this in the morning, then use a tradition ski one to top up during the day too.

we all have the sort of skin that can burn on a sunny english april day!

an a slightly different note - i hadn't thought about sunglasses - as we always ski with goggle (me cos i have glasses underneath) and the kids cos they don't fall off so easily.
will we need sunglasses too for when we are outside but not skiing?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blueberry, ideally yes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
um, slight change of topic now....

i wear glasses and haven't got on well with contact lenses.
i have ski goggles that go over my glasses, but sunglasses?? i know opticians can make presctiption glasses with a tint, but would this be any where near enough darkness?

any advice from fellow short-sighted skiers

cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oakley can make you sunglasses to whatever prescription you require ++ they look sweet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blueberry, There are quite a few ski shades manufacturers that have a prescription range. If you have a high Index your range of choices will be limited. Wrap shades cannot be made above around -5 because of the curve of the lenses. Suggest you look at:

Oakley

Rudy Project

Adidas

All do prescription inserts into frames, though with some you might have a frame clip in. Here's one example of a supplier, there are others out there.

http://www.sport-spex.co.uk/13_lev2_Prescription_Sports_Sunglasses.asp
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks that's really useful

i;m only about a -3 but with quite a marked astigmatism too.

never considered getting glasses online though - don't they need fitting, all that heating up and bending around the ears that opticians do to make them fit better??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blueberry, Oakleys are a pretty standard fit.. you could easily try whatever model you want prescribed on in a shop and get i t online. Sunglasses Hut or something.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
blueberry, Most Opticians do have access to at least a couple of the big brands, if you'd prefer to see your own optician. You can always buy on line if you are confident in reading your prescription and take them anywhere for minor adjustment.
snow conditions
blueberry, your optician can make you up either prescription sunglasses or glasses with lenses that go darker or lighter depending on the brightness. How dark the latter go depends on what type you get. Talk to your optician & they should be able to advise. Do you go to a big chain or to an independent? - some big chains do try & sell you their latest deal & make out you're getting a major bargain (surprise, surprise!) when often the independent down the road will give you a better price & a more personal service.
latest report
blueberry, another consideration with prescription glasses is whether your lenses are plastic or glass - again this is something you can ask your optician
snow report
There are lots of threads about prescription glasses and skiing. Try the Search box. One thing that has been discussed is reacilite lenses. IIRC the concensus was that they were not really up to skiing use. I get a pair of prescription sunnies from Boots with my regular specs and have the darkest tint that they do - they are fully UV - ed up enough for skiing and I find they are fine to ski in. I also have a pair of OTG goggles but they can be a little uncomfortable over specs. so when necessary do sometimes use contacts and ordinary goggles. It very much depends on the current weather and how much they may fog up.
ski holidays
blueberry wrote:

how long ago did you try contacts and what type hard / soft / gad permeable etc.

the tech has moved on a lot and if you've jsut got standard weird eyes (long/short) and nothing complicated like astigmatism then I'd give contacts another go. I ski/sail/windsurf in mine and could not bear the thought of having to wear glasses and gogs skiing cos I'm a sweaty bug and i have enough issues with the goggles steaming without having another layer of glass to get sweaty..

For me googles for flat/low light and sunnies at all other times...

Oh and back on the sunscreen - I use http://www.prosportsunscreen.co.uk/ and it works very well when windsurfing as it survives loads of dunkings - boots, ambre solaire or any of the other 'high-street' products just don't work for me. P20 is muck and needs to be applied a year before you go out in the sun. Just ordered a couple of bottles for this seasons jaunts.

Enjoy your trip(s)
snow report
Quote:

nothing complicated like astigmatism

I've got astigmatism & have soft lenses that correct that. I find them great for almost all occasions, particularly all things outdoors including whitewater canoeing when they still serve me well when upside down in a freezing cold river!!
ski holidays
I think mountain / skiing sun cream is oil based/ has less water in it (summer sunblock seemed to work fine for me until I skied in a minor blizzard and it froze on my face - painful and lobsteresque, but at least I thawed in the evening, so not quite as bad as sunburn)

Iirc, Soleil Noir - common French brand - was half price of Piz Buin
ski holidays
awol, That is incredibily useful and interesting. I haven't read that on here before.
snow conditions
blizt,

Mrs Trenmold and me do a lot of skiing in Winter and sailing in summer and always use the Boots Soltan SPF50+ kids suncream. I don't know why they differentiate between kids and adult suncream but the kids one offers good protection even for gnarly forty somethings. I am a fairly typical anglo saxon complexion (ie not really fair skinned but not dark either) and I find with a lunchtime reapplication I do not get burned while skiing or sailing in the sun all day and I get a gentle tan after a few days. We also always wear a hat or baseball cap and good quality UV blocking sunglasses.

I believe (but may be wrong!) that Aussie suncreams never have a factor higher than SPF30 as they do not wish to lull users into a false sense of security - but if I were you I would always go for the highest factor available (50?) on UK creams for skiing. Check the side of the sun cream for the highest UVB protection as this differs from the SPF rating.
latest report
I usually buy Piz Buin Mountain cream , but it can be expensic,e however I stocked up last winter when they sold it all off in Boots for £2 a tube, but will try the Soleil Noir next time. I have never gone even the least bit pink with the Piz Buin so then to think it is worth it.
ski holidays
I like the Aloe Up stuff, you can get it in S&R. "Will not run into your eyes and sting" Cool
latest report
Which reminds me of another tip - always put your contact lenses in before getting suncream all over your fingers.......
latest report
Trenmold, and never, but never, put contacts in within about 12 hours of chopping a chilli...
snow conditions
jonm wrote:
Trenmold, and never, but never, put contacts in within about 12 hours of chopping a chilli...
Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blueberry,

I'm blind as the proverbial bat and have very bad astigmatism as well as also needing reading glasses now.

Many years ago I bought soft contact lenses purely for skiing. They don't fully correct my astimatism and are now not even the correct prescription. However I use them for skiing because I can use good sunglasses in sunny weather, yellow lensed glasses in flat light and yellow lensed goggles when it's chucking it down with snow.

I did have a problem with the soft contact lenses until I found a lens cleaning regime that suited my eyes. My eyes are very sensitive to any preservatives and they used to sting, get red and painful. It was only when I started using a Boots own cleaning solution that I didn't have problems with my lenses.

What are the problems you have with contact lenses?
snow report
How you supposed to get a good goggle tan line with all these high factor things.
ski holidays
Quote:

we all have the sort of skin that can burn on a sunny english april day!

Factor 50 absolute minimum for your kiddlies. I've seen many children with badly blistered faces and it's not at all funny. And remember the nostrils and earlobes, as Scarpa said - that's not funny either!

Another vote for Piz Buin, though that's mainly because I tend to skin allergies and stick to what I know isn't poisonous.
snow conditions
Quote:

Another vote for Piz Buin, though that's mainly because I tend to skin allergies and stick to what I know isn't poisonous.

Ditto
ski holidays
blueberry wrote:

i have ski goggles that go over my glasses, but sunglasses?? i know opticians can make presctiption glasses with a tint, but would this be any where near enough darkness?

any advice from fellow short-sighted skiers

cheers

have used these. http://www.oracle-eyecentre.co.uk/Home.asp "top class service"
snow conditions
I am -3.25 in one eye with fairly robust astigmatism correction - the optician has granted me occasional use for contacts (longer story attached as to why I can't wear all the time). So I got a box of disposables for sporty things. I tried a non-astigmatism correction lens for starters, but it didn't give the vision I wanted - the optician gave in and let me try a disposable astigmatism lens and I was 'hooked' - they are more pricey, but you can get them in a disposable, and they are worth every penny.
ski holidays
i was looking for a pair of prescription sunglasses at the start of the year but decided i really didn't want to spend £300+ on a pair of Oakleys. Instead I decided that it made much more sense to just get a 30 day supply of daily disposables instead and that way could buy a pair of standard Oakleys for circa £75-£120 and then about £30 for the contacts. As i do a bit of trackday driving, wearing glasses with a helmet was also anoying me too so again contacts to the rescue.

I guess it depends on the exact prescription and the person as to whether it's possible to go that route but I somehow couldn't justify such an expensive pair of sunglasses.

As it stands i went in for an initial fitting and took 40mins to get one contact in and out, then my daughter was taken ill with an extended time in hospital and haven't gone back in yet to complee the 'see i can do it myself' task of getting the contacts in and out....mind over matter and all that Embarassed
latest report
Some very expensive suggestions above... I had a pair of prescription sunglasses, with just my distance prescription, made in Albertville for about 30 euros. If you wear goggles over prescription specs and want something for sitting in the sun on the restaurant terrace, a low cost answer is a pair of clip-ons. It may not be super-cool but you would be able to read the menu. wink
latest report
best thing to do for the eyesight probs is pop into your opticians.

they should know everything about the correct tint and contact lenses for skiing. and i promise most of us are not into ripping you off!

also mentioned above, transitions --> best in cold skiing conditions as the "swing" on them (from light to dark) works quicker and goes a deeper colour. its one of their downfalls in hotter climates!!
ski holidays
jonm wrote:

I once chopped some chillies and a couple of hours later had an itch in a very private place. I made the mistake of having a quick scratch. Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
blueberry wrote:
(bergaderm). it's an australian brand !

Quote:
Bergaderm Sunscreen Mousse (formerly known as Proderm)...
The sun mousse sunscreen was developed by Ponsus Pharma a Swedish medical research company

ummmm nope....

Ego and Hamiltons are the big brands here... Hamiltons Quad block has the sailing market last I checked... Ego the family one...

My brother always packed nostrils and ears with Zinc Cream when ice climbing/mountaineering...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy