Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes Season Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Swirly, sort that rear arm out wink any romance to report?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah, bored of the snow updates, we want Totty count now Razz
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops wrote:
Swirly, sort that rear arm out wink any romance to report?

DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
Yeah, bored of the snow updates, we want Totty count now Razz

yeah...what a waste of 3 thread pages so far...get to the point...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kruisler, actually the reference to the rear arm is just that (Swirly will know what I mean) and not to be confused with any other bits of the body or romantic possibilities. Shocked wink

Valentines day soon though Very Happy and we need some juicy updates from L2A Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops,

So just so we're 100% clear, you're saying you weren't referring to any non-snowbooard related wrist injuries...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler, Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
100 % Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still no gossip to report so I’m just going to carry on with the photos! It’s been really busy here lately with it being both the UK and Paris half terms so we’ve been trying to get off the beaten track. First up was Montgenevre for some tree riding. A short hike from the end of the lift system took us to a col where we could grab some food and survey the line

gorilla slightly out of focus as I messed up the camera settings

Next on the hit list was the long awaited return to La Grave, the link finally opened (allegedly due to some pressure from the L2A ESF maybe they do have a use) so we can go for free on weekdays. Rather than take the link we drove round (much faster) and were rewarded with beautiful weather and packed powder which was nicely unmogulled.

Cloud halo over La Meije.

Gorilla had to go back to the UK for a wedding so we took the chance to visit Alpe du Grande Serre (easiski recently posted about this place which is very quiet and a good chance to escape the crowds)

These couloirs make for great lift served off piste for steep slope lovers, however note the wet snow slide left of the trees at the right of the photo: the price of the gorgeous weather.

After this it was a return to our home slopes, the stable snowpack finally giving us the option to hit something a bit bigger than what we’ve been doing. We finally settled on the route to Saint Christophe from the top of the Toura chair. We started with a short walk from the top of the Lac Noir chair as we were going to do that route but changed our minds. The routes from here aren’t too technical but they are long and remote and pass through numerous cliff bands, as the guide book states you need to know exactly where you are going.

Scottish Skier on the second pitch, look at the scale of the place.

Continuing down.

Saint Christophe, for those who don’t know the area, is about 8km further up the valley from Venosc from where a gondola runs back to resort. We used two cars to ferry ourselves between the base of the run and the lift. To complete the run it is required to traverse into the mouth of the Vallon de la Selle even at this point after a good hours ride it’s still fairly remote.

looking down the valley towards Venosc.

Scottish Skier heading off.

For a final bit of light-hearted fun it’s possible to clip back in and ride through some fields to the back to the town, this is followed by some do or die turns down alleyways to come out at the door to the bar. I’ll get some photos of this next time as it’s pretty surreal.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So with the last post we were in the middle of a warm spell and had finally begun to hit the longer descents in the area. As I said we started off with the run to St Christophe from Toura, however, there are many many other ways down! The next target was the descent into the Vallon de la Selle from the Dome de la Lauze as with all the runs off the back of the Deux Alpes lift system it finally ends up in St Christophe, however this time the start was from the very top of the lift system at 3600m where we managed to hitch a lift on a piste basher. This was actually the vehicle that tows people towards La Grave, we didn’t have tickets so were walking along the glacier when it came past, Scottish Skier stuck out a thumb and he stopped making short work of the 20 minute hike at 3600m.

The run itself starts from the Col de la Lauze on a beautiful slope of about 30 degrees, although often used by groups starting from La Grave there was still plenty of untracked snow for us.

Gorilla starting off.

Me following.

It’s impossible to describe the scale of the environment of this run, there’s 2000m of descent into a 7km long valley:

The descent ahead.

The upper slopes, the route starts from the col to the left of the cliff on the top right. Gorilla is in the photo for a sense of scale.

Dropping towards the valley floor.

After the descent the traverse out of the Vallon de la Selle remains. Although technically easy this is the more dangerous part of the route due to hanging glaciers on the Plat de la Selle, therefore it is important to move quickly to avoid exposure to falling ice and avalanches. Fortunately although the majority of the valley is flat there is enough gradient until past these dangers to ride through on a board. After that though it flattens out and it’s time to choose your method of travel. I Racquetted up for the walk out, a small price to pay for the long descent in such wild terrain.

The long walk out.

The route then involves a river crossing and finally the combat ride down through gardens and alleyways back into St Christophe.

The next day was time to repeat the run from Toura, no need to walk on this one, we took an identical route this time with Gorilla who was back (obviously given the photos from the previous day).

The descent starts left of the rocks above my head, however, we were entering from the less tracked bowl right of that ridge.

More spectacular snow.

Further down the run.

After the weather had been kind enough to let us get on these runs it cooled down and snowed, and boy did it snow. Powder was plentiful and despite the snow still falling we headed to La Grave. 50cm of fresh snow lay in wait at the top of the Vallons de la Meije and despite the poor vis it provided epic riding.

A snowy seal of approval.

Conditions suggested we head for the trees to try and help us see what we were doing and we hit the Combes du Berger from P2 to P1.

We continued to lap the trees in deep snow until last lift by which time we were truly worked. Of course it was still snowing so the next day we headed back. The wind and snow had combined to fill in the previous days tracks and although the snow wasn’t as deep the vis had improved considerably.

We’d beagn to explore the La Grave couloirs by this time and having done Banane and Derobe on a previous visit decided to use the Patou as a warm up to one of the bigger offerings. The Couloir des Freaux runs from the start of the Chancel traverse to the village of Les Freaux with 800m of descent solely in the couloir.

Gorilla with me waiting above in the heart of the couloir.

There were rocks and water ice in the start of the couloir making the narrow entrance even harder than normal, however, once in the snow was gorgeous although slightly bumpy.

Eventually it opened out into a bowl and then an icy track through trees to the road were we managed to get a lift back to La Grave.

Exiting the couloir.

Ok if you’ve stuck with this well done, we’ve finally made it to this week! It snowed again on Tuesday night and although not as much as last time it gave us another 30cm and we returned to La Grave to prove you can’t have too much of a good thing. This time the sky was a perfect blue and with the fresh snow it had to be one of the best days of the season and we began to make the most of it.

gorilla on the chancel

Me- why turn?

Scottish skier photo slut.

We finished off with a run down Derobe and then the Banane.

Gorilla in the hidden couloir.

On Wednesday evening gorilla’s parents turned up and while he was skiing with his dad Scottish skier and me went back to La Grave aiming at our biggest route yet. To tell the truth Scottish skier had skied it the day before with some La Grave saissonaires we had met, more on this soon. When we got to the top of the ‘phrique the drags were running so we hit the Col du Lac route on the glacier as it still had untracked wind packed powder.

Scottish Skier enjoying the glacier off piste.

Me following in the fresh.

That run served as a warm up and the two of us headed off for La Voute and my first chance to bring some of my climbing skills to my boarding. Taking the Col du Lac again we missed the traverse back to Chancel and rode to the rope at the bottom of the glacier. A sign marks the rope as the way to get back to La Grave for anyone without ropes and harnesses due to the cliff bands below the glacier. We ducked under and continued on our way. This is strictly no falling ground as ice, rocks and cliffs could make even the smallest slip have very serious consequences.

Part of the approach, note the exposed ice.

A short hike up and it’s time to break out the ropes.

Entering the couloir.

Scottish Skier heading down the ab.

From there it was time to put on the skis and board coil the ropes and get away from the hanging glaciers. Once into the couloir it was a beautiful ride, not too steep and much wider than the approach would have you think.

There was even space for some fun.

A job well done.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You were right it was a long one ! but it was worth the read. Showing me a whole differnt side to LDA from what I have seen the 3 times I have been there !
Nice one snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice pics - enjoyed all that
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, Tremendous effort - great pix, great time, clearly. Very Happy Lots of stuf I've never done (green with envy), and it just proves the point to all those intermediate skiers who claim to have 'skied LDa in a day, and then what do you do?' Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, yeah and there's loads we haven't done: some because of conditions and a fair bit because of (in)ability especially at La Grave. I'm pleased with what we've got done and hopefully we'll get a chance to get on some of the other stuff over the next few weeks.

Those photos are just 6 days riding from the last 3-4 weeks, obviously there have been days that aren't as good: riding down Chalance on bulletproof snow sticks in the mind!

We went to AdH on Friday but most of the off piste was sunfucked we were going to do the Fleur but it looked a bit bare so did Les Perrins Sud instead which had good snow in parts: either in the shade high up or sun low down but the bits in between were interesting!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, I think your photos do really show the scale of the skiing round here and why the off piste is so extensive and interesting. Of course, also why so many freeriders live here. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski wrote:
Swirly, Tremendous effort - great pix, great time, clearly. Very Happy Lots of stuf I've never done (green with envy), and it just proves the point to all those intermediate skiers who claim to have 'skied LDa in a day, and then what do you do?' Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think a lot of what Swirly has been boarding is not really an option for your two week a year intermediate piste cruiser, but as you say for serious skiers there is a ot of off piste opions in the region.
snow conditions
Swirly, Great Stuff from La Grave, when its on that place is amazing...Freaux is one of my favs. Its so hard to capture the "big mountain" feeling of riding in these mountains. So satisfying when you complete one of these routes as it takes many years of riding/mountain experience to get to this level. Its a feeling that not many people get to experience.

Well done Cool
ski holidays
Well I worked a season in LDA a few years ago, and this is showing me a new side to the resort (And I thought I had it pretty well covered... Shocked )

Interesting reading indeed. Does anyone have a link to a decent piste map - the official LDA site opens up a piddly little map, and I'd really like to study the routes spoken about here.
ski holidays
rayscoops, depends on the person I guess, I hadn't done that much before coming here: only 8 weeks although most of that in the previous two seasons. Of course I'm used to being in the mountains so that side of things has come more easily to me. I'm certainly not what I'd call a good snowboarder even now, maybe a couple more seasons Laughing

norris, thanks, Freaux is probably the most difficult thing I've done so far, maybe Voute is more serious with the ab and hanging glacier but it's definitely a much easier run to board. I agree, La Grave is huge but doesn't seem it until you get under the surface, then the scale is absolutely massive.

jesus, you won't find many of the places mentioned on the piste map! some are here: http://www.skierslodge.com/legend/

easiski, yes and why so many of them are so damn good. I've been very lucky in the people I've managed to meet on both sides of the hill, that's something else about this area: it's very friendly and so many people are happy to give advice and show you things.

Anyone know much about the Rama or Muretouse/Mines (probably Mines it looks a bit easier on the map!)?
snow report
Swirly, I think having the confidence to climb to access some off-piste helps a lot and being there for a season to pick the right day for your adventures is a great help too - can you imaging trying to do what you have done as part of your one week holiday with all your mates of differing ability ? night mare !

Glad you are having fun though Very Happy and I am sure your riding has improved massively and especially in the pow Very Happy btw - are you carving your turns yet wink
snow report
Swirly, Boris took Etienne down Muretouse last year, so see if you can talk to either of them. Roping along a rock traverse to get in though, and I know Etienne was pretty scared, but is very glad he did it. He's often at Jutta's if you don't know him.
snow conditions
Just to add a couple of things. This is the pick of the photos from the last dump we had a week or so ago. Given the dire visibility and the somewhat better snow we stuck between P2 and P1 in the trees or thereabouts. Skiers/boarders are ScottishSkier and Swirly.

And a final one of ScottishSkier tanking it down Vallons de la Meije. Forget when this was.

snow report
ScottishSkier appears to have taken up telemarketing in the trees wink
ski holidays
fatbob, He stayed upright that time. I have a fine selection of both of them eating it, though which I may add to this thread at the end of the season.

In other news I have stuffed my right leg temporarily and they have gone to ski Mines so I would imagine there'll be some decent photos from that presently. Sorry to hear about your injury btw.
snow report
Swirly, gorilla, are you gents likely to be around at Easter? I'll probably be in the LG area over the long weekend
ski holidays
Arno, assuming we survive the Derby we should still be knocking around.
latest report
The last week has been warm well I suppose that’s an understatement: it’s been bloody hot, fortunately the snowpack is so deep that it has stood up to the heat well and the sun has softened the snow nicely during the day. On Tuesday Scottish Skier and me had a play on the Echine des Chevres run on the Lauze glacier, we’ve been meaning to do this for a while but each of the last snowfalls have been accompanied by high winds that have packed the snow hard and formed sastrugi. However, with the strong sun the snow had softened up even at that altitude.

Me on the glacier.

On Wednesday we decided to check out how the snow was holding up at La Grave, starting off with a warm up on the col du lac. After that run we decided to try Voute again, obviously it was much more tracked than before and the snow bank at the bottom of the abseil was really hardpacked. Once into the couloir proper though it was still nice and soft.

Me in Voute.

“We’re Hardcore Us!” The last chance to turn back for La Grave on the approach. The sign reads: “Behind this point, Cliffs!!! If you don’t have any rope and harnesses... To go back to La Grave, climb back up to the rope line.”

Thursday was another chance to hit a new line for us by now we’d got a handle on what the heat was doing to the snow and this was the last day before it was set to cool down significantly. Below the Signal chair is an alluring bowl, however invisible from above, below this is a series of cliffs and couloirs ending in large icefalls. We knew there were two routes down this slope, the Muratouse on skiers right and Mines on the left but there was only one way down the final part: of the three streams that flow through the final cliff bands two terminate in 100m icefalls. The other was narrow but skiable although it had been affected by avalanches and rockfall.

I’d like to quickly point out we didn’t head down here blind or following tracks. Every time we’ve driven to La Grave we’d passed by this slope and on a couple of occasions taken a series of photos (actually we’ve done this for most of the lines down the valley) we then spent a number of nights studying the pictures and relating them to the map, what we could see from above/below and even Google Earth!! Eventually we were confident we could do it, rather than traverse in from La Grave we planned on hitting it from the Signal chair here.

Photo of the route taken from the excellent skierslodge website (http://www.skierslodge.com/legend/#) Mines takes the line on the right the bottom of the signal chair is just visible (black arrow), we descended from right of this when looking at the picture.

Although there were a few tracks down the line this is probably skied less than any of the other things we’d done and despite the heat the snow was still almost powdery in the shade and nicely softened in the sun.

Scottish Skier at the start of the bowl

The initial slope and the first gullies and bowls all had the same glorious snow and although on a route with such a large vertical descent the snow conditions are going to change we were surprised at how much really good snow there was.

Scottish Skier in yet another large bowl of fantastic snow

Me in the first bowl and then leaving it via the first gully

Into the next bowl

And down through it, this gives a sense of scale of the place.

So far we’d hit each gully and bowl that we’d intended but we weren’t going to get ahead of ourselves as we knew the technical crux was ahead of us and if we got the line slightly wrong from this point on we would be in serious trouble. It was about this point that we got a good buzzing from a helicopter, we can’t be certain why but it’s possible we were seen leaving the ski area and it’s not unheard of for people to head down this way without knowing what they’re getting into (ask Lizzard about one of her former guests) anyway they headed off so we carried on.

The route ahead looking down to the Romansche and the road (my car was somewhere down there)

As the above photo indicates falling here is right out so we made our way down carefully.

Now we were in the steep and narrow exit couloir and the snow was getting worse. To add to the snow the couloir had been scoured by avalanches and even some rockfall from one of the walls.

The choke point of the exit couloir, note the exposed rocks: a mixture of the couloir bed having been uncovered by slides from above and rocks that had fallen from the far wall. This was not a place to hang about in but care was needed as a fall could be terminally easy.

Once out the couloir we found ourselves on the massive cones of avalanche debris, fortunately this had softened slightly in the heat at the low altitude. From there was a choice of ride down the stream bed with a series of small drop offs and big rocks to avoid or through the trees ducking branches and avoiding rocks again. Combat skiing at its best. At this point the helicopter came back possibly to laugh at us fighting our way to the river.

In the stream bed: by now it there was no point riding as it was up and down all the way. In the background you can see two of the streams heading out of the area we skied which are ice falls over the final cliff band (centre and left hand side of the photo) the line out is hidden by the cliff but is above my head.

Of course this wasn’t the end we still had the river to cross and the heat had made it quite deep and fast flowing so we headed for the bridge about 500m upstream. This was pretty tiring work in snow that varied from hard and shallow to soft and knee deep. And we were both pretty surprised to discover we had to do a bit of caving to reach the bridge:

snow report
Arno, will still be here, our passes won'r be valid at LG that weekend though (not valid weekends and public holidays Sad ) btw have you done the Rama?
snow conditions
Swirly, no but would be up for giving it a try conditions permitting
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, cool it's probably the one thing left within my ability! Just a bit unsure as to the entrance to the bowl above the couloir so looking for beta.
ski holidays
Swirly, looks like Scottishskier is enjoying pair of ski's number 6, about time he got some big skis Happy Not surprised that you got buzzed by the heli down there, I remember when we were checking out that route from the top of the signal chair and we ducked the rope, the lifty was over to see what we were doing.
snow conditions
kristof, Probably gave the lifty a heart attack! Shocked

Swirly, great report, great pix, clearly a great descent. Very Happy
snow conditions
Superb report & photos Very Happy
snow report
Swirly. The first photo is nowhere near the glacier! That one is on the Ratchas looking towards Pied Moutet
ski holidays
scottishskier, is this more evidence of Swirly's legendary sense of direction Toofy Grin
snow report
scottishskier, oh yeah, I did wonder why I'd traversed so far!
snow report
As Swirly, scottishskier and my friend Kevan headed for Claviere on Friday they dropped me off in La Grave for the Derby de la Meije. The Derby is a race from the top of La Grave, in this case the col de la Lauze down to Chalvachere just above the exit from the Vallons de la Meije. The vertical drop is in the region of 1800m with most racers taking the classic Vallons route.

I had made a brief recce of the course two days earlier and had checked out where the moguls had formed in Vallons and had decided on a line accordingly - mainly deciding to cut towards the Breche Pacave before heading towards the moraines at the bottom of Vallons. This is the cowards' route and anyone aiming for a sub 10 min time would do well to take a more direct line. Better skiers than me simply made SG turns through the bumps.

Cutting a long story short I finished in 17 minutes 57, a not especially respectable time but one on which I will be improving in the future. The La Grave ski bums I spoke to were aiming for something in the region of 10-11 minutes. The really quick guys knock it off in about 6 minutes.

This was one of the most entertaining things I have done in a while on skis. You can take it as seriously or with as much frivolity as you like. The atmosphere was tremendous and even if you have skied Vallons many times, racing it adds something new.

The queue at the bottom of the telepherique.

Racers head from the glacier to P3. This looks like a serious ballache on a snowboard. I would estimate I was doing a good 50mph by the time I hit the cat track and I got no more than half way before I was skating past jogging boarders.

The start from the col de la Lauze. There is a 5 second countdown with most people going on two.

The race begins in groups of 10 with a lengthy straightline from the col down towards the col des Ruillans

Bib number 538 exercises his right to race on whatever that thing is. The guy had balls of steel. He finished about 7 minutes after I did.

The view up the course from the finish.
snow report
OTOH we had 80cm of fresh to play in wink
latest report
gorilla, Well done for doing it and a nice report. did you enjoy the legendary party after the legendary race?? wink wink
ski holidays
Been a while again...

Here's a photo of me in one of the Les Deux Alpes couloirs- Le Deversoir.

A couple of weeks ago we headed to Montgenevre just to ski some pistes... on getting there they'd had 80cm of fresh overnight!

This is a 135cm pole.

We decided to hit the trees and mellow slopes as the avvy risk was obviously through the roof.

Unfortunately they were sometimes too mellow: how to extricate yourself from deep snow on the flat!

The next day we went again to Claviere, spring has sprung but the snow was great.

Last Friday Arno was passing through AdH on his way to La Grave, we've not really made the most of the area and were more than happy to take his offer of showing us a couple of things.

After a good morning the clouds came in at the top which mikes hiking up a bit further more interesting! Anyway we got were we were going and dropped onto La Pyramide.

Arnoletting go.

Having availed ourself of as much local knowledge as our brains could take we headed back on the Monday to hit the Loupe bowl and Le Epaule de la Fare.

Me dropping into La Combe du Loupe

Lower down: dirty snow makes white lines.

A little couloir entering the Fare shoulder.

Tuesday and we headed back again this time to hike for the Arete de la Piefroid, the guidebook calls it Pied Froid or cold feet but that wasn't going to happen on this climb.

gorilla heading up to the col.

on the ridge

Our handy work.

On the way down we spotted a nice looking couloir, the next day Scottish Skier and I headed back to hit it. It's not in our guide so we don't know the name it was possibly a fraction over 36 degrees and less than 2m at the choke.

Me in it.

And back out of it, the line is the left trending one from the peak in the ridge directly above my head.
ski holidays
Nice!! I think you may be missing a photo as I can't see Gorilla....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy