Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Folgarida

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody tell me what it's like?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went there in early March two years running as we enjoyed it so much. Having previously stayed in Madonna, Folgarida was a cheaper way of skiing in that area and also we went with a mixed party of beginners and intermediate skiers plus a boarder. It worked really well for all of us as the beginners had morning lessons and the rest of us could all go over to Madonna/Marilleva and meet up at the bars and cafes at the top of the Folgarida gondola. The instruction was good and our beginners were skiing on the blues and a couple of reds before the end of the week. There is a snowboard park over at Marilleva. We found the area really friendly and very good value. It is quiet in the evenings however if you are looking for somewhere lively. Where are you thinking of staying?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've found two hotels that are very reasonable The Caminclito (sp?) and the Kapriol - both quite close to the gondala. We are a group of 4 adults comprising 1 good skier, 1 good but very nervous (me! popped my ACL last year so very, very careful now) 2 adults returning to skiing after a long, long gap and 2 kids who after 3 ski holidays are propgressing well. We're looking for something that's friendly, pretty, good ski schools and lots of undemanding territory to grow confidence. Would you say Folgarida woudl suit?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For general info on the resort look at
http://www.folgarida.co.uk/folgarida_resort_details.htm

for hotels that you can ring yourself and book look at
http://www.valdisole.net/cms-01.00/articolo.asp?idCat2=56&idcms=7017&nome=&idLoc=280

I know all the hotels in the town and have never heard of the Hotel Caminclito
Do you mean the Caminetto (0039 0463 986109). If you do, you'll like it. Dead Posh
Oh and it's almost in the town center about 1 min walk to the cable car (yep 1 min - basically it just up and over the road from the cabe car). I have never had a room there but I have been in the bar a few times and it's really nice.

The Kapriol (0039 0463 986101) is also OK (I had a room there for a few weeks, a few years ago), it's about 250m from the center and cable car and the meals are REALLY nice.

Don't drop the zero when you call italy, dail the full number

Have a great time in Folgarida
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It should suit your party well. We have stayed twice at the Kapriol and really enjoyed it. Run by a family who are quirky but great fun and the food is excellent and arrives in great quantities! The other hotel - could it be the Caminetto? Have only been in it for a 'welcome' drink by the Equity/Rocket ski reps. Bit of a trek up to the gondola in the morning but only takes five minutes and gets the legs warmed up! There are lockers at the top of the gondola but we never used them as the blue run back to the village is so enjoyable. The black run back is floodlit once or possibly twice a week. At the top of the gondola are two chairs and one is a slow easy two seater for beginners to get used to and goes to two runs for beginners - ie not part of another run so nobody hurtling down knocking beginners out of their way. The main chair goes up to some lovely blues and reds and from there you can go over to Marilleva or do the link over to Madonna. You can buy the local pass or add on a full week to Madonna or just the odd day. The run to and back from Madonna is a red. There is a bus link though and there is also a bus to Passo Tonnale also. The beginners we have taken to Folgarida made really quick progress with their lessons. There is an instructor called Ricky who runs the Eta Beta bar and he is quite a character but a good instructor according to my niece! Folgarida is a very small place and quiet but we love it. There is a good supermarket, a pharmacy, couple of gift shops, ski shops, etc. We flew into Verona and the transfer was about two hours I think. I hope you also enjoy it if you do go there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well thanks for all the encouragement. Had a trawl through the web today and a chat with the TO and have booked the Hotel Kapriol for week commencing £17th January. We're so excited I can't wait to get Christmas out of the way so we can go ski.

We did think about the Caminetto - but decided that the £330 extra it would have cost for the whole party would buy a lot of beer so we went for the not so plush option, I'm sure we will have a ball and the skiing sounds just right.

From a Very Happy snowHead in Hampshire.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are looking for ski hire - try Rossatti Sport (under La Buca Restaurant). The staff speak English there.
http://www.rosattisport.it/?hl=folgarida_en

If you need ski lessons there are 2 ski schools in the town. No I'm not saying which one I work for, I have mates in both. The 2 biggest are Azzurra (sky blue) and the official ski school. The Official ski school office is next to the tourist office in the square. Azzurra is above the tourist office (go up the stairs next to the TO and turn right at the top). Talk to both and see what you think.
http://www.scuolascifolgarida.com/
http://www.scuolaitalianasciazzurra.it/

Somewhere on this forum (I forget where) I think I remember someone saying the steepest runs are around 45%. Note that the black run back into town is almost 60% in places - if you slip you'll keep going, so take the blue until you get your ski legs.

There are "lots" of cafes on the slopes so have a look round and see which you prefer.

Don't buy a full area lift pass get a local one. You can pay euro20 for the extension if and when you want it.
http://www.skirama.it/EN/en-skipass-dolomites/?s=85

Send me a PM is you have any specific questions

Have a great time in our resort
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, We've gone with the TO package for kit, passes and lessons. I was so happy to have found a holiday that I got a bit trigger happy and agreed to everything. We've gone for the updgraded lift pass as it was only £9 more and I thought it was worth it for the chance that we might use it. Although we're all a bit wimpy really and will probably be quite happy trotting up and down the local stuff.

I don't know which ski school the TO uses, but we're with Rocketski so you might know?

I'm sure I'm going to be pestering you for more local info. if that's ok? Like what is the walk to the lifts from my hotel really like...and is it worth finding somewhere nearer the lift to leave skis & boots?

Cheers

Sharon
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowlamb wrote:
I don't know which ski school the TO uses, but we're with Rocketski so you might know?

You will be with azzura ski school (I'm with the other one : - )

snowlamb wrote:
what is the walk to the lifts from my hotel really like...and is it worth finding somewhere nearer the lift to leave skis & boots?

Yes you can leave your boots n stuff at the mid station, but you'll have to get the cable car back to the town in this case. What ever your TO tells you, the best place to leave your skis n boots is right at the top of the cable car at the mid station.
When you look down at the cable car station you will see our on-slope office (the ski school that you ain't using Sad ). Underneath this (down the slope) there is a shop/ski hire/deposit (on the left of the slope). Not sure how much they charge but it is in the same building as the cable car so no walking around with your skis.
In the morning just crab your gear and get the bambi lift NOT the big four man but the small 2 man lift. Go to the top (about 300m) and just ski down to azzura to meet your instructor - thier ski school is half way up the bambi. But sometimes they meet right ourside the cable car - down the stairs on the left as you get out of the car - so speak to your TO rep.
Not sure how much the deposit is but it won't be that much.

The walk from your hotel (it's on the left of the Hotel Vecchia America) is about 250m.
For map see here http://www.folgarida.co.uk/folgarida_resort_details.htm
Zoom in on the Vecchia and your is on the left of it. Doesn't look much from the outside (looks almost French) but it's nice on the inside.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad you have decided to go to Folgarida and hope you enjoy the Kapriol as much as we did. We are very tempted to go again and are watching a couple of January offers at the moment. Off to Austria on Sunday to Lech - can't wait! I really envy Wayne actually living out there.......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, Janska,
Can you ski back to town ( e.g. close to hotel Kapriol etc) & leave you kit there ( or in hotel if they have boot room)?
Could you give an indication to costs in town( & on slope) as money is quite tight this seasons; beer, snack etc
Please let me know
Thanks
Mitch
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like there might even be a little snowHead gathering in January.....how cool.

We are really excited and I'm watching the webcams with a big smile on my face.

Wayne, My 9 year old boy is really keen to try boarding - we've booked him for ski school, but is there any where that we could get a 'taster' session for him?

Janska, We've yet to see any bad reviews of Folgarida and can't wait to get there and see for ourselves.

Mitchell, From what I've read, you can leave your kit at the hotel but it's a treck up the hill to the lift in the morning. It sounds like the mid-station might be the best place to leave skis...my kids aren't too great at carrying their own gear and walking in ski-boots. But the run down to the town sounds lovely too.....decisions, decisions. We were looking at the Hotel Caminetto which is very close to the gondola I believe, we were just too tight to cough up the extra £55 per person...but I may regret that, although as my other half pointed out it buys a lot of beer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Kapriol has an outside ski/boot room but with boot warmers. The walk up to the gondola is uphill but is a slight incline rather than a major uphill slog - I am asthmatic and managed it ok even in ski boots and carrying skis!! Also it warms up the leg muscles...... Of course, on the way back to the hotel it is therefore downhill but may still require one or two stops at a bar or two! We were never tempted to leave the gear at the gondola station though as the run back down - Blue 2 - is so enjoyable as the last run of the day. Once you get to the gondola station there is an escalator up to the gondola itself. Really not worth an extra £55 per person to gain a few metres.
Can't remember thinking anything was expensive in the food or drinks on offer. We have been there with our children and their partners/friends etc. who were all on really tight budgets and they all enjoyed it so much they came back with us the second year!
Equity/Rocket Ski used to offer a discount card which got 10% off meals at the restaurant at the top of the gondola - worth asking if they still do anything like that. I think they will also organise an evening at the ice rink at Upper Folgarida which the children might want to do, quiz evening at the Eta Beta bar and medal presentation for anyone in ski school.
Have a great holiday everyone!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowlamb,

Oh my god , I,ve just looked on J2ski snow forcast & theres over 2 metres of the white stuff now with more to come snowHead too

If this carries on , there wont be any point looking at the webcams coz' they'll be buried in it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowlamb wrote:
My 9 year old boy is really keen to try boarding - we've booked him for ski school, but is there any where that we could get a 'taster' session for him?

Yes you can call in at the ski school office next the touist office in the square. We have lots of snowboard teachers so you can book a private lesson for him. You will need to get equipment so just down from the office the are a few ski hire shops just go in a haggle ??
I think (may be wrong) that you can also hire a board at the ski hire shop at the middle station - come out of the cable car, go forward though the doors (not down the steps) turn right and the hire shop/ski deposit in in front of you
But speak to the ski school office 1st to see what type of gear you need - long/short board ski/soft boots etc. I know sod all about snowboarding so you could ask in the snowboarding section of this forum - I am sure there wil be lots of experts there

If you have not booked yet try talking to Antonio - the boss of the Renzi, next door to the Caminetto and cheaper but just as nice
http://www.hotelrenzi.it/

Janska answered all your other questions I think

Mitchell,
I have replied to your PM about hotel locations.

Mitchell wrote:
Oh my god , I,ve just looked on J2ski snow forcast

Here is a better one http://www.folgarida.co.uk/folgarida_webcams.htm

I wont be in Folgarida in Jan - am teaching in another Italian resort until end of Jan, then a week of and then I'll drive over the Folgrida, but have a great time and spread the word.

Top tip - If you want private lessons in Folgarida during Jan go into ski school office and ask for Simon (my mate) and in Feb come and ask for me Blush

I am in Zermat at the moment - it's been snowing on and off for the past 3 week (still snowig tonight). The Zermat website says there is 3 times more snow than normal for this time of year - there is a LOT Very Happy
latest report
Mitchell, Yep - doesn't it look fab? So have you booked yet?

Wayne, Sorry that we'll miss you. Thanks for the tip re' the boarding. I didn't know there was a section of SH just for boarders - where do i find it?
ski holidays
snowlamb, It is the forum that is titled "snowboarding" Toofy Grin

The third one down in the main list of forums.
ski holidays
alex_heney, DOH! Embarassed
ski holidays
Mitchell,

I'm trying to reply to your pm but my reply doesn't seem to be leaving my outbox. So I'm not ignoring you a reply will be on it's way just as soon as I can work out what's happening.
ski holidays
snowlamb, your PM will stay in your outbox till Mitchell reads it, then it will move to your sentbox
snow conditions
Wayne,
Been chatting with the TO and have been told that there is a pool in the resort that we can use, I've been trying to confirm this on t'internet and can't. Can you throw any light on this or is the TO getting confused?

I know that some of the hotels have pools but as far as I'm aware not the one we're in (the Kapriol).
ski holidays
Hi,

I stayed in the Kapriol last March, and have been there a couple of times now. Nice hotel, good food and friendly staff ;its only a short walk to the gondola. Would have been happy to book there again this season only i couldn't get a flight from Manchester. The pizza shop near the bottom goldola in Folgarida sells cracking pizzas if your after a spot of lunch.

Tip, you don't have to ski over to Maddona. You can get the bus up from the stop near the Kapriol: it only takes 5 mins.

Have a good en Madeye-Smiley
snow report
mcfcPaul,
Is that pizza shop on the piste or in 'the town'?
Ta muchly
Mitch
snow report
Mitchell wrote:
mcfcPaul,
Is that pizza shop on the piste or in 'the town'?
Ta muchly
Mitch

Hi Mitchell,

The Pizza shop is in the town just before the etta beta bar : you can't miss it.

There is a mean BBQ as well about three quarters of the way down the blue run back to folgarida 1300.
ski holidays
snowlamb wrote:
Wayne,
Been chatting with the TO and have been told that there is a pool in the resort that we can use, I've been trying to confirm this on t'internet and can't. Can you throw any light on this or is the TO getting confused?

I know that some of the hotels have pools but as far as I'm aware not the one we're in (the Kapriol).

If there is a public pool I've never seen it in 6 years in Folgarida, but most of the time if I'm not working at the school I'm in a bar so this may explain it.
Be VERY careful about what TO's tell you (except for us of course).
Most of the hotels have links with other hotel in the resort and some of these have pools. It may be that your hotel has this sort of agreement with one of the hotels across the road - on your side of the road none of the hotels have pools - on the other side most do
latest report
Wayne,
Quote:

It may be that your hotel has this sort of agreement with one of the hotels across the road - on your side of the road none of the hotels have pools - on the other side most do

Oh no....i've spent my whole life on the wrong side of the tracks & now even my holiday will be the same Laughing
snow conditions
Wayne, I had a quick look at your links above, but couldn't find a reference to the cost of a local ski pass for Folgarida-Marilleva....just wondered if you know the cost for a 6-day pass? Cheers Very Happy
snow report
Chasseur, The prices are in a pdf file accessed from here

BTW, I didn't even have to google to get there. Just guessed at Folgarida.it, then clicked on the Val di Sole link, then Winter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well!!! A rush of blood to the head and we've just booked to go to Folgarida with Rocket Ski, staying at the Kapriol for GBP 229/pp, HB F & T for the 21st March!! Not a bad deal it would seem Madeye-Smiley especially given that we started looking at GBP 300 Toofy Grin

Wayne, as a 'local' do you have any on the spot advice about the conditions at that time of year? I did find one site that gave average depths for the last 5 years which looked encouraging. May well be looking for some lessons also, so will check out the links above. Cheers Very Happy
snow conditions
I went there a few times, once im mid March. It was average. For Val di sole in my opinion the best deal would be booking late when sure there is enough snow. In bad snow conditions connection to Madonna is DISASTER.
snow conditions
Chasseur,
Very good price I agree...................will give you some feedback on 'our' return later this month...................roll on the 17th Jan snowHead
Mitch
ski holidays
Mitchell, thanks and look forward to the feedback Very Happy Happy sliding snowHead
ski holidays
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to hire ski clothing in Folgarida. We live in Egypt and don't get to ski too often. Have gogles, thermals, skarves, beanies etc, but no sking clothing.
latest report
Chasseur,
Unfortunately now returned from hols Sad but already checking the web for any more late deals;
Folgarida was great; we had loads of snow & possibly near perfect conditions. The 'locals' were/are friendly & whenever we stopped to buy or eat were met with fast , friendly efficient service. Also as a major bonus, the cost of things was/is very good value. The food everywhere was really, really good & came in large servings. Coffees, teas, chocolates were also good value & ther beer prices werent too bad, although much cheaper in happy hour in the eata beta bar.
Highly recommend the Caminetto; very good accomodation & public areas, food very good again......it was like dining out at a good restaurant every night. The Kapriol got good feedback from other snowheads who we had the pleasure to meet up with (hello again snowlamb + family & friends).
petertmac,
Didnt recall seeing any clothing fro hire in the ski shops although I wasnt looking fot it so they may do..........if you contact Rosattisport.it & contact them they may be able to advise you.

Would definately recommend Folgarida for a family skiing holiday.
If any one has any specific questions please ask

Cheers

Mitch

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 26-01-09 21:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
petertmac, Welcome to Snowheads. You could always send a PM (Send/Receive Messages, near top right of page) to another Snowhead Wayne who is an instructor out in Folgarida. He will know one way or another.
snow report
Mitchell,
Quote:

(hello again snowlamb + family & friends).

Hiya Mitch....don't you just wish you were back there? Wasn't it fantastic?

I will do a trip report some time but unfortunately came home to the news that my elderly mother has only a few days left to live (it's not much of a shock she has had Alzheimer's disease for sometime) so life is a bit fraught at the moment. Very Pythonesque actually - discussing funeral arrangements when she's still alive. But ho hum.

But in brief...we loved everything about the resort - the snow was excellent so that helped - The Kapriol was fab. and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. We all (6 of us) felt that the food was amoungst the best hotel food we've ever had. Restaurant quality every night and plenty, plenty of it.

Will tell more later, but as Mitch said if you've get any specific questions drop me a line.
snow conditions
snowlamb wrote:
Mitchell,
Quote:

(hello again snowlamb + family & friends).

Hiya Mitch....don't you just wish you were back there? Wasn't it fantastic?

I will do a trip report some time but unfortunately came home to the news that my elderly mother has only a few days left to live (it's not much of a shock she has had Alzheimer's disease for sometime) so life is a bit fraught at the moment. Very Pythonesque actually - discussing funeral arrangements when she's still alive. But ho hum.

But in brief...we loved everything about the resort - the snow was excellent so that helped - The Kapriol was fab. and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. We all (6 of us) felt that the food was amoungst the best hotel food we've ever had. Restaurant quality every night and plenty, plenty of it.

Will tell more later, but as Mitch said if you've get any specific questions drop me a line.
Hi Mitch,

Quote:

Would definately recommend Folgarida for a family skiing holiday.
If any one has any specific questions please ask

We're off to Folgarida, staying at the Caminetto, on Saturday. Conditions look great. Very Happy

Did you use the bus service at all, I'm especially interested in going to Tonale for a day? Also, any good mountain restaurants and any other pearls of wisdom you'd care to pass on.

Cheers,

Jimmy
latest report
jimmymag,
You lucky thing, wish I was going again.
Did not use the bus service so sorry, cant help you there. All the mountain restaurants we went to were good but specially liked the chalet Angel ( if I remember name correctly)..its bang opposite the main ski school meeting point at mid station. Theres a nice wood burning stove to keep warm , & dry any wet gloves out on. Also , about 100 yards further up, on the same side ( just at the bottom of blue 6 ) there is a much larger 'hut' that serves snack stuff on the ground floor & has waitress service upstairs. This place is good if you need to spread as there always was plenty of seats & room. The pizza 'place' at the top as you come off the four man chair does excellent pizzas although the music they play can be a bit loud.
If you are going with Rocket ski, I,m told if you ask the reps ( chris & Sarah) you can leave you skis /boots at mid station for free............assuming you dont want to ski back to resort at night. Word of warning, ski room at Caminetto is down a series of stairs which when icy & in ski boots is pretty treacherous ( my son fell down them & cloncked his head, not too badly lucky enough but still seems iffy to me).
There are a couple of cafes in the 'town' , the one virtually opposite the Caminetto & last 'shop ' in parade does lovely cakes , paninis etc so if you are peckish coming off slopes, would recommend this ( just to the left of the ski hire shop).
Caminetto is really nice although the bar & wine to table can add up if not careful. The service was/is excellent & the staff all really friendly. We never got to use the wellness area as we seemed to be always rushing from one thing to another but it did look good.
If you like beer, try to get the 1/2 price happy hour at the eta beta bar ( 4-30 till 5-30 ), they do a few nice beers as well as some disco & kareoke nights !!
Although the area is pretty low key it was busy around teh main ski school meeting areas most of the time.........if you do arrive to see hoardes of people at mid station, dont panic its pretty uncrowded everywhere else.
Theres an ATM in town if you need cash & also a chemist.
Just a bit of advanced warning , the transfer is approx 3 hours so take a book...............oh, and Gatwick seem to want 'you' there 3 hours before take off ( they did for us anyway).
Have a great time snowHead
Mitch
latest report
Mitch,

Thanks for the info.

Jimmy
snow report
jimmymag,

As Mitch says

Quote:

Just a bit of advanced warning , the transfer is approx 3 hours so take a book...............oh, and Gatwick seem to want 'you' there 3 hours before take off ( they did for us anyway).

The timing is all off on this flight too. You'll get breakfast on the plane and then nothing else until dinner at 730pm, so I'd definately take some munchies for the transfer.

We left our kit at the top of the gondola. If you scroll up to Wayne's post he describes how to find it. It cost us 50 euros for a heated locker big enough for 4. I would really recommend it, our boots were warm and toasty every morning ( i remember Mitch describing how he'd had to dry his boots with a hairdryer) and the whole locker room was warm, dry & clean. It didn't stop us skiing the home run although at times we found it rather busy and we're often glad to do our last ski higher up and then gondola down.

Our fav. restaurant was the one Mitch describes at the bottom of blue 6 (& at the bottom of the 2 nursery blues). It was, after some extensive research wink one of the cheaper places & the restaurant upstairs was great - plenty of room, good food & reasonable prices.....on our last day 12 of us had lunch with wine and it came in at 104 euros.

There's also a lovely hut at the junction of red 3 and blue 11, i think it's called Le Mez and is signposted off the main run back down to the village. They were selling vino brule (hot wine) for 1.5 euros and their sandwiches were lovely.

We didn't use the bus at all - the snow in Folgarida/Marilleva was so good we couldn't bear to drag ourselves away. First holiday ever that I've been on the first lift up and the last lift down.

We will almost certainly go back at some point and if i could get away with smuggling on board Sat's flight I'd be there!

Have a great time and tell us all about it when you get back.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy