Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Chamonix skipass?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just been told that my 7th March week in Chamonix has been booked Cool

We're decent skiers, will attempt pretty much anything between the pistes, and are looking to have two or three days' guiding (hopefully to include Vallee Blanche/Envers and Pas de la Chevre) through the week.

Not having been there before, I can't work out whether the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass will work out better than the Le Pass. The differences seem to be €10 per top lift on Les Grands Montets and €36 for the Aiguille du Midi cablecar. So far, sounds like a no-brainer...

But, I am picking up from various webby sources that (a) the top lift at GM is very overbooked and you can spend a lot of your day waiting and (b) most "retail" Vallee Blanche tours include the lift price.

Can you shed any fact on these potential urban myths?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sproggski, AFAIK you can reserve your GM lift (rarely can be bothered). Have always had to pay for AdM lift when with guide. So - no brainer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, Surely if you had a unlimited pass you wouldn't have to pay twice to get up AdM? I see guides websites quote €75 to ski VB, I presume the lift pass is not included in this? Also with the unlimited pass isn't Courmayeur also included this year?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, I'd go MBU - the top lift can be busy but it isn't always and you can reserve, do a few runs and return, and the Midi pass is not usually included in the guiding fee. Courmayeur is a nice bonus too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
firebug, I read on another thread here that getting to Courmayeur by bus can be a pain as they aren't that frequent and you have to get out in the town centre and walk and it is not possible to get the lift just after the tunnel. Is this true?

Also is the train free with lift pass in the Chamonix valley?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Ross, quite right. I only had to pay when before I had MBUs. MBU includes Courmayeur and free shuttle buses (two in morning and two in evening - but NOT all of the scheduled services are included) - expect to need to reserve these too. No idea whether Courmayeur's a pain or not but am looking forward to finding out. MBU includes Montenvers train no idea about LP.

sproggski, wouldn't bother with "ordinary" VB route. Envers fun though. Pas de la C. on list for this year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, do you know what the done thing is about getting guides and them assessing our ability rather than our hopes being dashed if they decide we are not good enough to try xyz descent? I'm picking on you as you seem to be aware of the big "retail skier" ticklist routes!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The valley trains and buses are free with the carte d'hote which you will get from you accomodation when you arrive. If for any reason you don't, just pick one up at the tourist office. Lunacy I know. Why they don't just make it free with the ski pass I have no idea.

Le Pass doesn't include Montenvers which you'll probably need for the VB. it's on the MBU

I haven't tried the Courmayeur shuttle yet though nothing would surprise me! We drove over. There is a lift from near the town of Courmayeur though. And you needed, last year, to go to the office there anyway, and pick up a (free) lift ticket as the Chamonix passes don't work in Courmayeur.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sproggski, hmm, no not really. The only time I did it commercially the guide was told he had a fairly mixed group and given reasonably accurate descriptions of the weakest skiers. You describe yourselves as "decent". Unfortunately, that's fairly meaningless. The nice thing that if the weather is what you need, I don't think you need to commit to either Envers until the guide (if they're any good) will have a reasonable idea of how you'll ski. Alternatively, book the same guide for the 3 days and get them to spend a day taking you to some more challenging elements of the area - i.e. places where you might think twice about jumping into a given couloir on basis of potential avalanche risk.

I am going to submit that bad guide experiences are often down to bad client information...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, cheers, was arriving at a conclusion to get a referral and then book them for a couple or three days as you suggest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy