Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More than one ski trip per year, how do you do it...?

Poster: A snowHead
lynseyf wrote:
Many people think they lead quite a frugal life but in reality don't.

This is very astute. I recently switched from getting lunch from Pret/M&S/etc. with the rest of the riff raff, to making my own sandwiches* and taking a little plastic lunchbox to work like a schoolboy. I look pretty stupid as a result.

I'm also £1k+ per year better off as a result.

That's two holidays, right there.

I haven't calculated how much I've saved since moving from predominantly takeaways and ready meals to predominantly home cooked food. I bet it's £massive though.

* sig. other makes them for me actually, but that's not the point Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im filthy rich...well compared to friends with kids/ mortgages etc I am, I earn a decent salary and dont have many financial commitments other than a car loan and my student loan.

I try to go 3 times a year, one long one (2 weeks) and a couple of long weekends.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a motorcycle, a mortgage, a daughter (cute as hell), a reasonable job and did two seperate weeks last season and doing two agian this season - how do i do it? i've no idea!!!! Puzzled

Oh, yes i do, just looked at credit card bill thru the door Embarassed

Seriously, tho, i book with minimum (usualy) of 4, look up on line for the online early booking deals, then visit my usual friendly TO and say i want to better this. She has managed to do so for the past 4 or 5 years.

A lot depends on when you go, i'm off to Serre Chevalier in Jan for on week with three mates, all in for £500 (although we do all have own 'equipment' Embarassed)

However,......... am off to the USA for a week in half term in Feb and i need a new mortgage! Fuel charge when i booked was based on the high cost of fuel then (against now) and they do NOT reduce if costs down when you do travel.... so a last minute deal here would probably have been better (luckily i got my dollars when rates were good too... was alomost as cheap to spend a week east coast usa in half term as to go to europe..

Bottom line i think tho, is find some like minded individuals (this site i believe 'may have some' ? wink and dont go on your lonesome. Hope we see you on the pistes soon! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio,

Jeremy Clarkson once made a joke about the person in the office who took their own sandwiches to work, with the comic delivery only he could make. But if that's what it takes, fair play to you. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, Do your research and don't stick to europe under the assumption it's cheap.

Being a lone traveller can be a real kick in the teeth pricewise, however some of the canadian youth hostels (think Banff/Lake Louise/Fernie/Red) do a 1600 candian dollar deal for a MONTH! Yep, that's a bed in a youth hostel AND your ski pass. FOR A MONTH! I took that deal and did 3 weeks with it and was still quid's in.

I have absolutely no social life although I do run a large horse so I suppose that's my social life.

Try and find groups with whom you can travel and keep an eye out for bargain tickets and accommodation. E.g., although the dollar is (comparatively) strong against sterling this winter - condo owners are BEGGING for business and the airlines are snouting around for trade.

My favourite label is "35% off" and this applies to everything from meat to skis! Very Happy

Edit: I do my own packed lunches for work and don't think there's anything weird about that at all - on the days I don't I find myself easily spending 8 euros in the supermarket.

Edit 2: Jeremy Clarkson is funny? Mein gott - I thought MY "frugal" life was tragic! Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kel wrote:
paulio,

Jeremy Clarkson once made a joke about the person in the office who took their own sandwiches to work, with the comic delivery only he could make. But if that's what it takes, fair play to you. Laughing Laughing

So you would rather have an M&S sandwich every day than a weeks skiing, think you're on the wrong forum then, is there a sandwicheads.com?? Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lynseyf, Laughing

There appears to be 30000 members of this one:

http://gsmsandwich.com.ph/forum/index.php
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you looked at Skitopia? They do all inclusive ski hols to the French Alps (Serre Che and Montgenevre) for just under £600. The price includes flights, transfers, accommodation, ski and boot hire, lift pass, 7 days breakfast, 7 days afternoon tea and 6 out of the 7 days dinner. If you book early enough with them you get a discount, as well as a loyalty discount on top if you've been before with them. The accom. is quite basic, but the foods good (was last year - my first time with them). This year we are going for just over £450 each, knowing that the only spending money we need is for 1 nights dinner and lunches each day. Depending which hotel and which resort you go to, they even run a free bar in the evenings.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kel, is there some kind of stigma attached to making your own lunch then? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are afflicted with a snowHead addiction then you will find a way. Drug addicts manage to feed their expensive habits.
I'm 60 y.o. - whats the point of saving Puzzled The value of my pension & sterling savings have been desimated by irresponsible behavoir of financial institutions & an inept government .
Who knows how long I will be fit enough, wealthy enough or even snow to be able ski in future. I'm not waiting, see you on the slopes & in the bars throughout the season. I may buy you a beer if you get me one first:-D
Travelling solo can be on a shoestring, if you can go without notice and don't have to liase with others you can snap up fleeting last munute offers.
I have had a weeks H/B package for £99 less £60 for booking on line, it was a modest club hotel but had a great time with other cheap skates.
The T.O.'s often waive the single supplement if they need to offload the accomodation.
If you have a specific desire to go to a specific resort/date solo then perhaps take advantage of very early booking offers.
You can do DIY trips by snapping up a cheap flight offer & in non peak weeks inexpensive accomodation & transfers can be arranged using the internet.
My deal of this season is £163 rtn to Denver ( fellow snowHead tipoff) & b&b in Frisco.
I have no problem surviving in budget accomodation & sometimes the company is the most fun but saying this, I do enjoy luxury & being pampered & if I have money left over I am tempted to indulge myself with a week in a luxury hotel in Zurs. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lynseyf wrote:
Kel wrote:
paulio,

So you would rather have an M&S sandwich every day than a weeks skiing, think you're on the wrong forum then, is there a sandwicheads.com?? Wink

It's just an example of one of those things you don't think of once you've reached the point where you think "there is literally no more money to be saved in my lifestyle, anywhere."

There always is. Keep looking.

Basic old fashioned tight-fistedness can go a long way.

This time last year my TV blew up. I scoured the shops looking for a decent value replacement, and was going to budget myself about £650. After a bit of soul searching I realised that a 1080p widescreen was overkill given that the only programmes we watch are Newsnight, Eastenders and QI. So I scrounged an old broken one off a mate that makes a whining noise for the first 20 minutes after switching it on, and has a large greenish tinged area to the left where the shielding has falling off the nearby speaker magnets.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio wrote:
This time last year my TV blew up... So I scrounged an old broken one off a mate that makes a whining noise for the first 20 minutes after switching it on, and has a large greenish tinged area to the left where the shielding has falling off the nearby speaker magnets.

Ok, Ok, a joke's a joke mate. Smile What next, you sold your house and now live in a paper bag by the side of the M1 so that you can afford another 48 hours on the slopes?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio, why don't you just ditch the telly altogether and stop paying the licence fee? If that's all you want to watch, you might as well do it via the interwibbit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, That is 100% true. The TV bit, not the paper bag part.

But, really, who gives a rancid dog's toss-pipe about having a fancy TV? Or limp E-coli drenched supermarket sarnies?

We mend clothes sometimes too instead of buying new ones.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
paulio, why don't you just ditch the telly altogether and stop paying the licence fee? If that's all you want to watch, you might as well do it via the interwibbit.

Don't have a fast enough internet pipe for that sort of thing. And actually, I believe in the license fee on principle. Same reason that I keep my National Trust membership up to date despite that being unquestionably a disposable outgoing. People have different priorities and that, but the point remains: everyone can save money somewhere.
snow report
I love the kind of inverse 'American Psycho' tone of this conversation. Having a boastful bun-fight about who is poorest (me).
snow report
One final money saving tip from me:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7755315.stm
snow conditions
EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..
snow conditions
I normally bring my own lunch into work and have breakfast at home - breakfast at work and lunch can easily come to £5-£7/day.... Sad Mind you, I do have coffee at work, about 2 cups in the morning at 57p each - very nice coffee though! Very Happy

We have 2 very average incomes, small mortgage, no kids (well I don't have any!) and no going away summer holiday. Don't go out excessively. We manage 3 weeks/year skiing.
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Mind you, I do have coffee at work, about 2 cups in the morning at 57p each

1) Buy one of these: http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm
2) From here: http://www.firebox.com/product/1320/AeroPress-Coffee-Maker
3) Begin saving money after approximately one month.
latest report
Dare I say it but try Bansko .... 4 Wizzair flights to Sofia about £80 return= 320 + return transfer £100 apartment £150 = £570 divide by 4 = £ 142.50 add lift pass £120 equpment hire £40 all in 302.50 plus beer at £1 for a half litre. Meals about £5 per head.
ski holidays
Must admit, I think I already live quite frugally. Takeaways and eating out are a very rare occurrence (less than once a month), I take packed lunch every day and I don't have much of a clothes shopping habit...

However, I think many of you have hit the nail on the head in that I travel alone. There's not really any way I could avoid the single room thing, I'd probably consider sharing with a sister or a close mate, but definitely not a complete stranger. But maybe some of you other snowHead snowHead won't be complete strangers for ever... Very Happy

Somebody mentioned it can be quite good value outside of Europe. Sadly that's not something I can consider at the moment, I'm very much limited to the EU as I can't currently get unlimited worldwide medical travel insurance. But hopefully I'll eventually get a 5 year all clear and that will become affordable again...

Anyway, thanks again for all your suggestions. I look forward to hearing about everyone's multiple trips this year and I'll make a damn fine job of enjoying my one trip. Sniff...
latest report
paulio wrote:

Paulio, sorry that tip is of no use to me at all. Snigger...
latest report
We do two or three trips a year, trying to make up for starting late! We book late and look for bargains around the time of the ski show, this year we booked 6 weeks in advance, and have gone for the first week of the season staying in a catered chalet, you take a chance that the team in the chalet don't know the ropes yet, but I can be better as they aren't stressed from a season. We normally drive last year (13 Dec) with Ski Amis we had two holidays one for £299, plus the cost of driving, can't remember the cost of the other one but it was lower and in late March. This year we are off with Silverski, with flights its around £250 each, we have also done a few Skiworld trips if your not bothered about were you go you can pick up a good deal. Look for accommodation that is slightly away from the main resort, try Coolchalets near Les Arcs.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:

yeah but all those hookers soon add up..
snow conditions
Not that I know much about it, but it's never free is it? Even if you don't frequent hookers, you'd still have to pay for going out outfits and copious amounts of alcohol...

So glad I'm too old for that sort of thing... Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
why not have 2 weeks in a row, then only one lot of flights and transfers?

I'm going on three seperate weeks this year but it is the transfers and flights that are the boring parts and although cheap, they add up ! so going to do a 2 (or maybe 3 Very Happy ) week jaunt next year.

what do you work as ?
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

Can't ditch the licence fee just by watching on teh interwebz, the jackbooted TV Licensing Enforcers will still have you.

On the lunch point - packed lunches are surely a false economy - you get to work, know you've skipped breakfast so scof it immediately then have to buy a sandwich anyway.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob wrote:

Can't ditch the licence fee just by watching on teh interwebz, the jackbooted TV Licensing Enforcers will still have you.

Only if you watch it live over the 'net. Watch it behind time, and then it counts as video, so you're OK.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
packed lunches are surely a false economy - you get to work, know you've skipped breakfast so scof it immediately then have to buy a sandwich anyway.

I reckon that would probably happen if, say, you were a fat bloke called 'Bob'.
snow conditions
paulio, brilliant post Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(Although I entirely sympathise with fatbob!)
snow report
2 good incomes, get six weeks holiday, thats's 2 full weeks skiing with wife and kids, 4 days with the boys (mid forties now), 2 weeks surfing in summer, a week sailing in greece october and a big limit on my credit cards Smile. I don't go out very much and my mortgage is small, bought early.
snow report
Oi, Paulio, I resent that remark (true as it may be) Smile
snow conditions
queen bodecia, I thought that doing multiple trips each season was going to be impossible but it's all about cutting your cloth accordingly.

I did my first trip to la Plagne on a £119 last minute jobbie with Crystal, albeit self-catering and there were five of us. Two months later we managed to DIY it, booking through Pierre & Vacances and got everything down for less than £350 inc. lift pass, again to La Plagne.

I only managed one trip last season due to work, but this season i ahve at least two planned, maybe three. Second rip will be late march/April when I can get a last minute trip and Feb might bring someting too. It just means putting off the new TV, finding cheaper servicing on the car and generally not going out - I've even resorted to doing TWO home brews to save me money!! Smile

Ebaying all my old rubbish has also come in handy - it's amazing how much you can get for a part worn pair of undies!! Smile
ski holidays
Specialman, did you only have one leg in them?

I'm gone..
snow conditions
I think we manage to do it because I am retired and we now run a small business from home. Mr DS's brother helps things tick over while we are away. Affording it - well, we have a pretty low income (mainly my pension), but....we don't drink, don't go out, don't smoke, don't have any summer holidays, save a lot and don't replace our three piece suite and lounge carpet every year (or even every 25 years come to think of it...). We run relatively old vehicles which we maintain ourselves. We have no mortgage (house is paid for). We have no loans and pay off our credit cards each month. I grow a lot of our own vegetables. We have no kids although we do provide board and lodging to four cats. We repair and recycle rather than buy new stuff, where possible.

It wasn't always like this - when we both had jobs, we could only manage 2 weeks although we had much more money.
latest report
Libertine wrote:
why not have 2 weeks in a row, then only one lot of flights and transfers?

I'm going on three seperate weeks this year but it is the transfers and flights that are the boring parts and although cheap, they add up ! so going to do a 2 (or maybe 3 Very Happy ) week jaunt next year.

what do you work as ?

I'm a graphic designer. 2 separate weeks would be easier to negotiate with work but one fortnight's trip wouldn't be impossible if I gave enough notice. However, I think I prefer the idea of 2 separate weeks, although I'm sure it adds considerably to the cost factor...
ski holidays
docsquid,
Quote:

when we both had jobs, we could only manage 2 weeks although we had much more money

Snap. When I had a 'proper' job and loads of dosh, it was much more difficult to get away!
ski holidays
things like flying ryanair for £44 return and thing like that you just have to keep an eye on the budget airlines when they are having sales on etc.and not go for the 4-5* hotels there are plenty of nice and clean 3* hotels out there just cause its a 3 * doesn't mean it will be un-clean it just means that it hasn't as many facilities at the hotel and if you ski-ing all day why would you bother if the place has a swimming pool or gym.
snow conditions
£220 for one trip last season , 4* fully catered chalet , flights ,transfers etc in La Rosier. Mind you that was for 8 of us and booked 2 days before we left. find a loaded SO Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy