Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

la plagne private tuition or ski clinics

Poster: A snowHead
After taking south african to meribel last week (thanks for the recommendations for ski school) he has been converted to the joys of skiing and has booked a week in la plagne in four weeks time. Not bad for someone who had never seen snow until recently!
He's looking for a day of technique improving private tuition or small group ski clinic - he skis icy reds confidently - any recommendations?
Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know but I am going there next week.

Doesn't look like many people do know either.
If he has booked with an operator he can tap the rep.....or tap them anyway, they are always
glad to help, I find..Tell him they always wear funny coloured jackets with the company logo on the back...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to Oxygene in Plagne Centre, I did the first two weeks of ski school there, and had a private lesson with them just last Tuesday. Plenty of English instructors working for them, and if not the French instructors they have pretty much all speak very good English. Just be carefull to avoid ESF Very Happy

http://www.oxygene-ski.com/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why? On what do you base that comment, past experience, present experience, hearsay?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just what I've been told by various people. I know a few people that almost give up trying to ski after a torrid week in ski school with ESF instructors that could hardly utter a word of English. I have no personal experience of ESF, but from what I've heard when in resort and a lot of what I've read on here, not many seem to have a good word to say about them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you've no personal experience why enter a negative comment.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok sorry if I spoke out of place, just trying to pass on what I'd been told by our group (some of whom have been going skiing for 15 years). As I say, I have personal experience of Oxygene and would wholeheartedly recommend them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

sorry if I spoke out of place

You didn't! Just remember, the ESF is in the snowHeads "Marmite" list. A close second to SCGB Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

David@traxvax, back off. Charlatanefc, did in fact say
Quote:

from what I've heard
Expressing an expression of someone else's opinion IS allowed. And entering a negative comment about any service provider IS allowed. Do I have to take you out in the carpark for a punch-up over this? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually, to address the question asked: I'm off to Belle Plagne tomorrow, so I'm also keen to know about good ski schools there.

I found Oxygene too. And Magic in Motion. And Evolution 2.

Was hoping they might offer 2-3 day "clinics" rather than a whole week of lessons (or an expensive private lesson!), but haven't been able to work out whether any do!!!! Does anyone know for sure? Evolution 2 does clinics in Tignes, but it's not clear whether they do them in La Plagne.

Also, is there like a common meeting place for these schools? Or what.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, I beg your pardon, please explain why you believe it acceptable to make negative remarks on the basis of hearsay?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Manda wrote:
Quote:

David@traxvax, back off. Charlatanefc, did in fact say
Quote:

from what I've heard
Expressing an expression of someone else's opinion IS allowed. And entering a negative comment about any service provider IS allowed. Do I have to take you out in the carpark for a punch-up over this? Puzzled

Ah but the initial statement was:

Quote:
Just be carefull to avoid ESF

There was nothing about why initially, until David@traxvax queried Charlatanefc about why.

(Not that I care, really, just pointing it out)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know this is off topic, but any feedback on Belle Plagne would be useful as am there for the first week of feb.

I had also been looking at what schools to look at.

Had heard, I think, of Oxygene, but cant remember what was said. The private tuition I had with ESF in Aime last year was very good. I saw a guy called Remy (I think).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, hearsay only applies during court proceedings. This ain't a court, honey. Laughing Carpark now? Cause this could get really REALLY boring for everyone else.

skanky, I agree as requesting clarification's fine.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

this could get really REALLY boring for everyone else

Quite. Rumour, gossip and innuendo is much more fun Madeye-Smiley
snow report
So. Any other suggestions regarding k's post? k, Chris M-J, and me are all interested.
latest report
I've booked 3 lunchtime sessions with Oxygene, La Plagne for the 13,14, 15 of Feb, these total 276euros for a family of four. They came recomended by a friend who has used them in Val D'isere. Evo2 are based in Montachavin and weren't interested in someone in Aime but were excellent when we used them in Val and Tignes last year. I had my 2nd and 3rd year in group lessons with ESF and found them very good, although getting the right level was a bit trial and error. If I have a comment it is that in every company there are good and not so good and as a relative beginner (5wks) rather than a novice I find a small group, even of mixed ability, is far better than a set class.
ski holidays
martyngb, what do you mean by
Quote:
3 lunchtime sessions
? I assume you mean they're private lessons? (i.e. not a clinic).
ski holidays
k, Manda, Chris M-J, you lucky lot. Belle Plagne is a great place to be. I'll be out there in 2 weeks time. Can't wait.
But you are asking about ski tuition. Unfortunately tuition is one of the few bits about Belle Plagne I don't feel expert. (I am of course not "expert" on any aspect of Belle Plagne, but I can cowdoo about the place better than most).
There are 17 ski schools in La Plagne, but only an ESF in Belle Plagne. I have used Evolution2 in Montchavin when staying with Ski Esprit, but they are not practical if you are staying in Belle Plagne. Every organisation has some brilliant, some awful, and a lot of good members. With any ski school you takes your chances. I have been quite happy with ESF in Belle Plagne, both for me and my children. I know nothing about Ski Clinics, usually going for Private Lessons.
snow conditions
Quote:

Evolution2 in Montchavin when staying with Ski Esprit, but they are not practical if you are staying in Belle Plagne

Oh, aren't they? Sigh.

Once you compress down all the EFS outlets, and the schools dedicated to instruction for disabled skiers, it actually comes down to a choice between EFS, Evolution 2, Oxygène, and El Pro.

El Pro's office appears to be based in Belle Plagne, which is a bonus for me, but the "english" version of their website is in French....

Evolution 2 are listed twice, Montchavin-Les Coches, and Les Coches, each with a different phone number. Is Les Coches not the same as Montchavin-Les Coches?

"Clinics" seem to be a big French resort phenomenon = small group lessons, intermediate and above levels, compacted into 2-3 half days, focusing on a particular skill. It's a nice compromise between private & group lessons. Can get them in 3V and Espace Killy (probly other places too) - I had hoped to find a school running them in the La Plagne area. Otherwise I'll have to bully the husband into sharing (i.e. paying for) a private lesson. Laughing
Probably with EFS at this rate Shocked Shocked
snow report
Manda, Picked lunchtime private lessons for the family as it worked so well last year in Val D'isere. Mean't we didn't have to rush to a morning meet, we could warm up and get "in the groove" and being lunchtime there is more room on the slopes/less bodies in the way for teaching.
Good luck in finding a class.
snow report
The meeting point for Oxygene is in Plagne Centre, right outside the bar "Le Chaudron". From Belle Plagne, its about a minute down the hill to Plagne Bellecote, get the Colosses Chairlift, and then a choice of about 4 or 5 easy blues into Plagne Centre.

Belle Plagne is a lovely place, the nicest of the La Plagne resorts. Stayed there for a couple of days the first time I went skiing, as we were doing a 10 day jobbie, but couldn't get the same accommodation for the whole time. We're going to Belle Plagne 12th March for a week, as we got a really good deal with Erna Low at the Ski Show in Manchester, and are staying in Les Constellations. There's a bar in Belle Plagne called La Tete Inn (used to be Matt's Pub) that is about the best Apres Ski bar in the whole resort that has live music about 5:30 every night too!

Anything else yer wanna know give me a shout, I'm afraid my 4 ski holidays have all been to La Plagne so you could say I know the resort quite well Laughing
latest report
Quote:
I have used Evolution2 in Montchavin when staying with Ski Esprit, but they are not practical if you are staying in Belle Plagne.
Why not Jonpim ?? No good for complete beginners I agree but anyone who can handle blues can just slip down to Plagne Bellecote, take the Arpette chair, then down into the Montchavin area. Snow permitting it's easy. I reckon 1/2 hour - 45mins max. Now the queues for the Arpette can get a bit long (especially late afternoon) as it's one of the main ways back over to the Vanoise Express to Les Arcs but if Manda wanted to get to a morning or lunchtime lesson from BP, I don't think Montchavin is totally out of the frame. Oh and Manda Montchavin 1250 and Les Coches 1450 are two separate older traditional style villages and I think the term Montchavin-Les Coches is used of the shared ski area between them.
Charlatanefc, pleased La Tete has picked up - I thought it was pretty dreary when it 1st changed hands. Happy Hours at the Balcons at the end of the road up are not bad for apres ski. 2 drinks for the price of one.
latest report
kuwait ian
Noted and will be acted upon in due course Wink Cheers fella
latest report
kuwait_ian, I agree it is possible, but is it practical? Why go all that way to Montchavin when there is perfectly good ski school right there in Belle Plagne?
By the way, you might be able to get from Belle Plagne to Montchavin in 45 mins, but I would set aside double that (90 mins) for the journey. 45 minutes may be possible, but most of us go on a skiing holiday to get away from the standard stresses of life. I rush to work every day, and the whole day is a mad struggle to get things done. When skiing I hope to get away from all that. I want to amble along when I want to. To have a coffee when I want to. To enjoy the view and the sheer exhileration of sliding down a mountain. I don't want to worry that I might be late for anything, except maybe the train home.
latest report
Quote:
Jonpim
45 minutes may be possible, but most of us go on a skiing holiday to get away from the standard stresses of life. I rush to work every day, and the whole day is a mad struggle to get things done. When skiing I hope to get away from all that. I want to amble along when I want to. To have a coffee when I want to. To enjoy the view and the sheer exhileration of sliding down a mountain. I don't want to worry that I might be late for anything, except maybe the train home.Sat Jan 08, 05

Hallelujah brother!! Very Happy I do 50,000 miles a year on our lovely quiet motorways so I know exactly where yer coming from!
snow conditions
Jonpim, thanks for the clarification. I posted only because several were specifically looking for alternatives to ESF in BP. Not because I'm a speed freak. I wouldn't make Montchavin in 45 mins either. Just thought you were being a little hard in ruling it out completely. When the weather's bad up top, the skiing can be great down there in the trees and Manda might get a really good experience in that area.

11 a.m. is definitely the time for a coffee and a cognac. I'm a cruiser and enjoy the scenery and the fresh air too. Enjoy your trip to BP later this month. Are you coming over to Les Arcs at all ? We are putting together a snowHeads gathering at 1pm, Monday 24th in Flying Squirrel's pub very near the Vanoise Express.
snow report
kuwait_ian, I would love to meet up with you all, and put some faces on some names, but the routine with our Meeting makes a trip to Squirrels Pub on Monday nigh impossible. The Saturday before and after is relatively unfixed, but Sunday to Friday I ski with the Big Boys. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from LP and we booked 20 into Ski School with Oxygene. Everyone raved about their tuition, both kids and adults. One private lesson booked all week with Jenny, who was simply fantastic. Cant say fairer than that
ski holidays
k, try this link. Although I haven't usedthem I have heard good reports , http://www.elpro.fr/accueil.asp?id_lang=2 , and he is base din Belle Plagne ,
ski holidays
searched and found this topic, was wondering if anyone has any more feedback about Belle (La) Plagne ski schools after experiences this year...

im perhaps looking for a 2 hour private lesson where the person might be able to give me some pointers as to how to improve my technique, so i can spend the rest of the week working on it!

I cant really afford much, so the one session will have to do...anyone have any recommendations??

PS my french is rubbish so it would have to be english speaking!!

thanks for any help Very Happy
snow report
tomski01, there's a SCGB Rep based in BP. Social Meeting place Le Matafan bar/restaurant 6-7 pm. If you don't get enough feedback here, s/he might be able to give advice for the price of a pint. But you're probably going to have to go over to Plagne Centre to get any significant choice of tuition. No problem getting there from BP.
snow conditions
tomski01, As my earlier posts we had booked 3 two hour lunch time private lessons with Oxygene. 2 days before we left they emailed me to say they'd double booked and could offer us alternatives at 3pm!! With 2 children a non starter. With it being half term and having booked these in October I was not happy. We compromised and they offered us 9am, 1 hour lessons with a pick up from our accommodation. Although not delighted we went for this. Problem was on 2 out of the 3 days the transport didnt arrive until 9/915 which meant we missed a significant portion of our lesson/back of the lift queue etc. Typical shrug of shoulders from the people at Oxygene and one unhappy customer who certainly would not recommend them. My experience of the SCGB rep in La Plagne over half term was excellent, we met up with them after lessons and had a good 3 days.
snow conditions
Well after you went, I know k, but I'd like to stick up for ESF Belle Plagne and say how good Olivier Broche and particularly Henri Roche were! Only had the latter for a half-day, but he spotted a couple of things that really helped my nascent technique!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy