Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black run recommendations in Courchevel/3V please

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Courchevel on 17th Jan & would appreciate some guidance on black pistes. Mr Neigehead did his first black runs last yr in Meribel, VT & Les Menuires with a friend of ours but this yr we'll be on our own. I know that he's going to want a bit more of a challenge & I would like to join him but I'd like to know before I do if there are any black runs in Courchevel or the vicinity that should be avoided at all costs by skiers like us (ie 5 wks - comfortable on whatever a red run may throw at us!). I realise that snow conditions play a big part too & if the snow's no good I won't be going nr any of them! Any tips on any runs that change in condition during the day would be good too. Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Courch Combe des Pylones is generally a good bet..used to be a red but now up to black (probably justified). Dou des Lanches is generally OK though last pitch can get a bit thin - can be avoided by a right turn after the second main pitch.Others can all be OK - pick up the pisteing map every morning and check out what has been groomed... Enjoy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr Neigehead, Im off to Courchevel on the 17th too..

See you at the top of Couloir Croix des Verdons!!

Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
barthez1980, Laughing Mr neigehead, probably would see you there - he'd go down anything! Like all women, I'm a little more picky! Thanks for the tips offpisteskiing, we shall certainly give 'em a go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
neigehead, Suisses is a nice run with easy route options if you require.
snow report
 brian
brian
neigehead, Suisses and Chanrossa can both grow big bumps, but you can check them both out from their respective chairs before skiing, as there are alternative ways down from both. "M" is a great run and usually pretty quiet. Jockeys and the other low black in the trees (forget the name) are good after fresh snow but can get icy and thin if it hasn't snowed recently. I'd probably leave the Grand Couloir on this trip. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs Neigehead, have a look at this site.....

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Savoie/Courchevel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
neigehead, Sorry if its the same as barthez1980, but the Grand Couloir at the top of the Saulire gondoler is one to avoid, unless you pack the proverbial brown cords. Have a fantastic time!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks brian, always nice to be able to see what you're going to let yourself in for Shocked ! Staying at Le Praz so Jockeys would be good, like you say if the snow's in good nick. I'll just keep doing the snow dance - it's working so far! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Gand Culoir is ok.Its a lot wider than people think.....As soon as you get past the first tight bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 brian
brian
barthez1980, all the Saulire couloirs are great. Just not sure I'd send a 5 weeker along that ridge !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian.....fair point....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
larry duff, yeah, I'd kind of figured that from what I'd read elsewhere. I described it to Mr neigehead, tho & he said "sounds really good". He could do with a good healthy dose of fear! Don't worry I won't let him anywhere near it - he has a bit of vertigo anyway so he'd never make it along the ridge!
barthez1980, just checked out Croix des Verdons........... Shocked !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah!!Its a RASCAL!!!!!! Skullie
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grand couloir isn't that bad I skied it in my 3rd week, the ridge is a bit intimidating but you're unlikely to actually fall and once you've got past that you'll be so relieved that you won't notice the rest of the run. The blacks runs towards la tania can be really nice, pretty, tree lined and generally empty but if you don't like icy runs then avoid them unless theres been recent snowfalll as they are pretty low and get very icy. However my favoutite black in the 3V is sanglier, think thats how you spell it, on the meribel side of saluire towards mottaret, nice and steep, generally has good snow and suprisingly quiet most of the time.
snow report
brian, Exactly! neigehead, Moral of the story is: Turn LEFT off the Saulire cable-car!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rambotion wrote:
However my favoutite black in the 3V is sanglier

I found it a bit of a boar, tbh. wink

... don't worry, coat's on ! rolling eyes
snow conditions
brian, Laughing Laughing
latest report
neigehead, Here are a few to try http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=885649
ski holidays
Creux Noir is marked on the map as a red but I'd say it's a pretty dark one - and nice too 'cos it doesn't get much traffic. Might be called Roches Grises now.

Some more useful info here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis.summerbell/skiing/skiingindex.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
neigehead, i have a list of all the black runs in the 3V's that you can download from my site go to the download page on www.skimottaret.com
snow conditions
Cheers Patch, - not sure I'll try them all in one day tho eh?!! wink
ski holidays
Second Jockeys if the snow is good, Dou des Lanches is superb, and usually very quiet, and Suisses, although it can get bumpy. Some of the reds can be quite a challenge if they get bumped up (e.g. Creux and Marmottes).
snow report
M is my favourite and the coulior belgue (sp) which used to be a black but i think is unmarked now...
latest report
From memory, the toilets at restaurant Bel Air were a bit of a black run. Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think Grand Couloir is about 40 degrees. Not including the traverse.

Not the greatest idea to send a 5 weeker up there...
snow report
bosses in meribel is good if you like moguls.
ski holidays
I'd third Jockeys. Had great fun doing Dou des Lanche followed by Jockeys a few times a couple of seasons ago in perfect snow (snowed nearly every night, sun most days Laughing Laughing ). Did them both quite early one morning and didn't see another person the whole way down. I quite liked Marielle down to Val Thorens but it was very icy and mogulled when I did it so a bit tricky - maybe when you've got a few more weeks under your belt.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You'll never see another person on jockeys, we did it in feburary half term, stopped for lunch half way down and only pair of people passed us in our 15min lunch stop
latest report
I skied M a long time ago with some French people - I don't usually do blacks but had to follow them. It was fine as snow was good. We probably did some other blacks in the area (didn't really know where I was going and they were local and fast) which must have been OK as I am not a daring type. There's a big difference between a black in good conditions and when it's icy or busy.
snow conditions
Jockeys and Jean Blanc - below the tree line, good for visibility in a white-out. And nice food at the bottom! wink
snow conditions
I'd say Grand Couloir is more like 35º - in the top third of the main bowl, which is the steepest part - which is about as steep as blacks get. Of course the front faces of moguls would be steeper.
ski holidays
Thanks for all your replies guys - sounds like we'll have plenty to have a go at. Jockeys sounds good as we're staying in Le Praz.
latest report
We're heading to Le Praz too in Feb, so this is good to hear... some great runs home before a beer in the bar. Hurtle, "nice food at the bottom" - where do you recommend ?
latest report
Richie_S, I haven't been for donkeys' years, but there are two, here and here. Serious money required...
snow report
There is a really long black in Val Thorens called combe de caron which is probably a good one to do to get more confident. Was quite tricky for me this year but that was mainly because we did it in a blizzard! One side of the piste was about 5 feet deep in snow and the other side was ice and rock the wind was so strong.
snow conditions
troublemaker,

Spot on - Combe de Caron is one of my favourite pistes in the Alps - steep, wide, good snow usually, dramatic cable car trip to get to it, fantastic views from the top what more could you want?

Another nice black not mentioned above is the grande rosiere which is the furthest left most run you can take down towards Mottaret from Saulire. Often quiet and nothing too gnarly for the less intrepid skier.
snow conditions
From the official courchevel website I see that 'sous la telepherique' is no longer marked on the piste map. Now that was/is a real 'brown trouser' run Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

user
From the official courchevel website I see that 'sous la telepherique' is no longer marked on the piste map. Now that was/is a real 'brown trouser' run

which lift is that off?
ski holidays
dmcmorrine, Top of the saulire cable car head towards the 'grand couloir', go onto the restaurant terrace and then climb over the terrace fence into the couloir.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy