Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Restoring water repellent properties

Poster: A snowHead
My boarding pants are getting a bit old and were not very water repellent last year and some lifts gave me a wet back side. They are like a best friend and I don't want to buy new ones.

Any recommendations for what to treat them with and any application tips?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bar shaker, this question comes up regularly - if you put 'reproofing' into the ForumSearch, you'll get lots of answers (not all of them sensible) Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker,

Snow & Rock or Ellis Brigham sell nikwax (TX Direct?) products that you can use in the last rinse of your wash cycle.

Spray on stuff isn't too good.

Were they Goretex or any other "technical" brand. Goretex needs special treatment to restore its properties.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm getting a bit 'wet bummed' in my Schoeffels that cost £mega which I'm not happy about. Might try that nikwax stuff.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I actually find the spray suff Nikwax works really well (just don't wash your clothes in normal liquid as it negates the spray on stuff - get the nikwax wash stuff if going to wash before re-proofing) Cool

FS
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Freestyle,

Doesn't the spray on stuff pong and therefore you need to let them dry off and get rid of the pong weeks before you need to use them or was that the Graingers spray?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wash in a tech wash or soap flakes that should help if still not better wash like before and then use reproofer..Graingers I find slightly better then nikwax.

though after a certain amount of washes and years of usuage this won't help much, and if you ever washed in normal or bio washing powder then you've probably buggered the proofing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
papasmurf wrote:
if you ever washed in normal or bio washing powder then you've probably buggered the proofing

Bum.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If your gear has a lining and is not just a shell, use the spray rather than the wash. If you soak the lining becomes waterproof too and it won't allow heat to escape.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all,Nikwax wash in proofer is probably the best way to go for re-proofing the face fabric of your clothing, however if the waterproof liner or membrane is leaking then Im afraid thats it! there is no'special treatment' to make Gortex or other mebranes waterproof once they start leaking.

The best thing to do is have a very careful search for holes and glue them up with seamsealer or similar types of glue.

Remember, the wash in proofer is only to make the face fabric water repellant, so that it doesnt 'wet out' and stop the waterproof membrane from supposedly breathing.

Never get wet again, even if you tear a hole in it! choose Paramo, the most waterproof and breathable kit available ( and its not even marketed as waterproof) Little Angel

Look in to the eyes, not around the eyes - Paramo,Paramo,Paramo,Paramo
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
welshflyer wrote:
Freestyle,

Doesn't the spray on stuff pong and therefore you need to let them dry off and get rid of the pong weeks before you need to use them or was that the Graingers spray?

No, it's fine. Just done all mine - Techwash first, then wash-in for the gortex (etc) shell and spray-on for the insulated stuff. Dries in a day an no smell to speak of.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some one said to me on here not to forget to tumble dry with warmth after re-proofing as this is, apparently, what 'fixes' the spray in the fabric
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah, Nikwax TX Direct Wash -in. Buy it on Ebay by the litre. We get through a fair bit with 5 skiers and 1 boarder in the family.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
Some one said to me on here not to forget to tumble dry with warmth after re-proofing as this is, apparently, what 'fixes' the spray in the fabric

I tumble dry mine on Low, check the labels before hand, but most will say its okay.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davehk wrote:
welshflyer wrote:
Freestyle,

No, it's fine. Just done all mine - Techwash first, then wash-in for the gortex (etc) shell and spray-on for the insulated stuff. Dries in a day an no smell to speak of.

Yep - I agree with davehk.

Cool
ski holidays
Fabsil also works well, it's a spray on water proofing agent. Whiffs a bit on application but given time to dry the smell disappears, I think it's about a fiver a can from Millets and army surplus stores.
snow report
bar shaker,
Quote:

My boarding pants are getting a bit old and were not very water repellent last year and some lifts gave me a wet back side.

I can highly recommend Rubber Underwear, failing that Nikwax. If you go onto the Nikwax website they sometimes send out samples for free.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
I can highly recommend Rubber Underwear

I think that that would be the only thing to prevent it.

Surely if your sat on a snow or damp covered seat there is some amount of pressure developed to force the moisture through even new goretex or technical fabric of any description?

*** SOLUTION ***
Make a ruck sac with a kind of roll out foam or plastic pad, two grab straps at the bottom corners are grabbed and pulled down just prior to sitting down, ride in comfort and then when you exit the chair an elastic retracts said foam or plastic along a squeegee attachment to wipe away any moisture on pad/plastic making ready for next lift ascent.
snow report
daehwons, Goretex or Dermizaz is waterproof to 20,000mm head of water or 20m which is the same as 3 atmospheres of pressure. So the fabric will hold back a column of water 20m high without letting it through. Sitting on a hard surface could exert enough pressure to force the water through.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
papasmurf wrote:
if you ever washed in normal or bio washing powder then you've probably buggered the proofing

Bum.

Sad

I've killed my jackett!
latest report
Quote:

I've killed my jackett!

Hmm. Yes I forgot and washed my shell jacket in bio.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad But proofed it anyway with TX Direct spray and it works, so phew and snowHead

Have tried the wash in proof stuff, but just ended up cooking my legs in my ski pants, which was not a pleasant or attractive sensation. The spray is best. It is never the same though, even if washing in Techwash, and the spray is pfaff. Off to take Megamum's tumble drying advice as have just proofed jacket today.
ski holidays
http://www.smartpel.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy