Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old Swiss Coinage - still legal tender?

Poster: A snowHead
I've searched the internet and haven't found the answer so maybe our Swiss residents can help me.

I've just found a load of "old" Swiss coinage in my house. Can anyone tell me if it is still legal tender in Switzerland or am I wasting my tiime carrying it out to Geneva?

The front faces of the 1/2, 1 and 2 Franc coins have laurel leaves all around the edge surrounding the value of the coin and the date. The other face of the coins have small stars all around the edge and a tall full length roman style figure who is holding a long lance and a large shield with the swiss cross on it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.zumbo.ch/coins/ch/list.html has all of the current coins, and it looks like they still circulate stuff from the 1850s, so you are probably in luck.

Whether they are worth anything now is a different question, plus of course you may get some funny looks from the locals when you present coins they haven't seen in 20 years, but my impression is that Switzerland is a conservative kind of place, and no-one will bat an eyelid.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...plus if you have any of the older coins in silver, the scrap value of the metal is probably now higher than the face value of the coin.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ousekjarr,

Thanks for this but I do know from reading the Swiss Mint website that centime coinage was withdrawn 2 years ago whereas your link still shows it.

I have about CHF20 in coinage which is quite a lot against the weakening GBP.

We should have gone to the Euro years ago but that's a separate discussion.
snow report
 brian
brian
welshflyer, that sounds like the current coinage to me, I'll have a look and see if I have any lying about ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
welshflyer, I think the Franc and 1/2 Frank coins are all legall still, the only ones that really dissappeared were the 5 rappen /centime coins beacause no one ever used them, notes on the other hand have changed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I live in Geneva. You are describing the current coinage. 5 centime pieces are still in circulation. In my change purse I have coins from the 60s that I have received in the last few days, so I am sure you can still spend it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ruke, I said 5 Centime pieces seemed to have disappered I didn't say they were no longer legal tender, they're such small and light coins that I think no one really likes using them. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see a lot of 5 centime pieces, but that may be a Geneva thing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ruke,

Thank you for checking your small change.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ruke, nope, tons of 5 rappen coins here too. Right PITA
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, agreed. I don't ever remember getting them in change. They just materialize in my wallet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, nessy, perhaps it's more of a city thing ? with resorts charging a bit more and rounding to the nearest 10 instead of 5 ? I have to admit that I don't mind one way or the other as I always managed to get rid of most of my 5's at some point during my holiday Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
I've searched the internet and haven't found the answer so maybe our Swiss residents can help me.

I've just found a load of "old" Swiss coinage in my house. Can anyone tell me if it is still legal tender in Switzerland or am I wasting my tiime carrying it out to Geneva?

The front faces of the 1/2, 1 and 2 Franc coins have laurel leaves all around the edge surrounding the value of the coin and the date. The other face of the coins have small stars all around the edge and a tall full length roman style figure who is holding a long lance and a large shield with the swiss cross on it.

If they look like this:

http://www.snb.ch/en/iabout/cash/id/cash_coins

then they're still legal tender. Just looked in my drawer and found a two franc coin from 1912 that looks the same, so unless your coins are really ancient, you should be fine.

Correct, 1 centime coins haven't been produced in ages and stopped being legal tender 1st jan 2007.

5 centime coins are fairly common, although usually prices are not like "X.X5". Typically, they would be used when buying fruits and veggies in the supermarket which are priced by weight, or when pumping gas for instance. By the way, when in your favorite pub, try to avoid paying for your beer with lots of 5 cent. pieces. I tried that once and the waitress was not amused wink

I wish you a good season! Where are you going skiing if that's not an indiscrete question?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SwissPat,

Thanks for the information. At least the shop keepers have stopped giving you sweets as change, I suppose that dates me!

I am going to Val D'Isere. Because the snow conditions look so good I have just booked an additional week there and so I am going out on the 7th of December and returning home on the 21st of December.

Have they opened the new road between Geneva and Annecy? If the transfer coaches don't have to pay a toll they may use it and save some time on that awful journey to Val D.
latest report
Welshflyer,

Sounds great! Have fun! Never been to Val D. myself.

Not sure about that road. On the net, it says that it should open at the end of 2008, whatever that means…
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy