Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sierra Nevada Spain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

We are heading to Sierra Nevada tomorrow for a couple of days skiing.
It looks like there is a bit of snow forecast for the weekend which is great news. The only problem is that there maybe be strong winds as well.
I've heard that this is a problem with this resort because of the exposed nature of the mountain.
Just wondering if anyone has had experiance with this resort and what the likely hood of the resort being closed due to wind.
Also if anyone can recommend somewhere to stay, close to the lifts! Happy, that would be great.

Thanks! Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was there 2 years ago and 1 day out of the 5 I was there it was closed for wind. Have a look round Granada or the Alhambra if the skiing is off. That will fill in a day or two Very Happy (you may have to book a tour of the Alhambra in advance) snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eek!

How bad would the wind have to be for them to close the lifts?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dingdong, chairs shut at about force 6 or 7 winds. If the wind is across the lift line the lower end of this scale if the wind is down or up the line they can withstand higher winds.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
II wrote:
dingdong, chairs shut at about force 6 or 7 winds. If the wind is across the lift line the lower end of this scale if the wind is down or up the line they can withstand higher winds.

Thanks for the info. So basically they could shut down the lifts for 20mph winds.. Looks like they may not be running on Saturday so.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dingdong, 20mph is lower end of force 5 Puzzled not 6 or 7 rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
II wrote:
dingdong, 20mph is lower end of force 5 Puzzled not 6 or 7 rolling eyes

Cool.. The website I checked must be wrong.. I'm in better form now! Thanks! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dingdong, My mother now lives in Granada so we are getting used to this area - when they say words to the effect of 'open depending on the weather' from experience they are expecting high winds and may well be shut. We lost one day of 3 last new year if I remember rightly. You just have to check the website from first thing - by 8am last year they generally had made the plan for the day. And I'm still waiting for the lift pass refunds too! I think 2 days of closure happens fairly frequently. Hope it dies down before you get there Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Late starter wrote:
dingdong, My mother now lives in Granada so we are getting used to this area - when they say words to the effect of 'open depending on the weather' from experience they are expecting high winds and may well be shut. We lost one day of 3 last new year if I remember rightly. You just have to check the website from first thing - by 8am last year they generally had made the plan for the day. And I'm still waiting for the lift pass refunds too! I think 2 days of closure happens fairly frequently. Hope it dies down before you get there Very Happy

Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend any of the hotels?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can recommend the hotel Alaxires(spelling Confused ) we stop there every time we go its opposite the Alhambra and easy drive to the mountains, been there a few times when it is windy and they have closed it in the past, but its a nice little resort and we love going there. You wil have a great time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, Just got back from Spain/Seirra Nevada. Well, there was a HUGE amount of snow, so much snow!
But, unfortunately only 10kms slopes were open due the wind. So we stayed for two nights and then headed back down the mountain.
The village was really nice and people were great. Just a shame about the wind.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am up there over new year for a couple of days, looking forward to it. Any tips/advice?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scoman wrote:
I am up there over new year for a couple of days, looking forward to it. Any tips/advice?

Unfortunately we weren't there long enough to be able to give much advice only to try and stay somewhere close to the center of the town/lifts.
I'm sure you'll have a great time. There will be no shortage of snow and that's for sure!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice pic dingdong, I've got a better feeling of the conditions thanks to that, you can't really tell much from the webcams.

I've got a place in Murcia so driving up for the new year and booked into a cheap 2* hotel in Prodallano for a couple of nights.

Its my first time up there of hopefully many more to come so looking forward to it. From what I can tell the snow has been limited over the last few years but is looking good for this season.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dingdong, wll PM you details on Sierra Nevada
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy