Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's it like to live in the alps?

Poster: A snowHead
DB wrote:
There are two particular German programs about immagrating German familes on TV here. One program is about the people with dreams going out with all sorts of crazy ideas (sausage stands etc) the other program covers their return when it all goes t!ts up. .

Is that Goodbye Deutchland ? I watch that. The Germans emigrate to some bizzare places !!

http://de.youtube.com/results?search_query=goodbye+deutchland&search_type=&aq=f

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-11-08 14:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton,
Quote:
The Germans to emigrate to some bizzare places

I wouldnt call Holland 'bizarre' .. just the views some of the folks who live there. Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
Well, try the small villages in the highlands .... rolling eyes All small, isolated (at least in the past) communities are extremely protectionist - but that's hardly surprising.

easiski" -thanks for the tip-- (do you mean Scottish highlands?) ...but I 'd like to live in France anyway! And I know exactly which village, where I know people... I can teach English there-- as I have that EFL qualification from way back....But it's just taking the plunge that requires the courage I don't seem to have right now. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre wrote:
stanton,
Quote:
The Germans to emigrate to some bizzare places

I wouldnt call Holland 'bizarre' .. just the views some of the folks who live there. Shocked

Mof are not welcome in Holland
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, "MoF" ????? ..

I think I understand now " Racist Tw@s only" ? Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre, I wondered about that, and - having, sadly, consulted the internet acronyms dictionary - decided that he was saying, 'as a matter of fact Germans aren't welcome in Holland.' I think.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, Thanks .. I was confused ( as usual). Having recently spent a week there, their integration is to be admired. However if one were racist ....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:
you are accusing the people who are trying to be straight with you as being greedy ("I like the way you're both trying to put people off so you can have the place to yourselves") - my answer to that is a very un-agressive "well if you don't believe us then try it".

Hahaha. Brilliant. Accusing people of being greedy. I love it.

Because, you know, that's exactly what I did, complete with a SMILEY.

Just because you've moved to Germany doesn't mean you have to lose your sense of humour. It might help you fit in if you pretend not to have one, I suppose.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mof is a commonly used term in Dutch referring to Germans. RotMof is evern worse , LOL !!

You can learn more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terms_used_for_Germans#Jerry_.28inoffensive.29
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio wrote:
Just because you've moved to Germany doesn't mean you have to lose your sense of humour. It might help you fit in if you pretend not to have one, I suppose.

I'm not in Germany you dipstick, but thanks for the laugh. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agenterre wrote:
stanton, "MoF" ????? ..

The English use the word "Kraut", the Austrians use "piefke" the cloghoppers use "Mof" as a slang term for Germans.

Link in german
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mof
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
paulio wrote:

Austria, Germany, same thing. NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio, So you have now demonstrated your complete unsuitability to move to another country and integrate. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
DB wrote:
paulio wrote:

Try and explain that to a Bavarian! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio wrote:
DB wrote:
paulio wrote:

Well that's fantastic. I had no idea you had such an indepth geographical knowledge. I'd say with such a talent you should get yourself over to the alps asap, central europe would really be your oyster. A winter ski season in Hamburg along with a summer season teaching surfing on an Austrian beach should be no problem at all. You might have to pick up a few additional skills (language etc) but there are courses for these things where they can be picked up almost overnight, similar to snowboarding really. Good luck, do post back and let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
DB, did you actually just take that seriously?

Crikey. Thank god your lot didn't win the war.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:

I think you'll find that DB comes from Manchester ( forgive me if that's wrong DB ). Of course it is a good job that the Mancunians didn't win the war. Question is, which war was that Puzzled
snow report
paulio wrote:

Don't tell me you're an expert in WWII History too. No end to your talents is there. Wink I can see you will fit right in the alps, esp. in Austria. The last war us mancunians lost was Hatton v Mayweather Jr init. Wink
latest report
DB, Have you got altitude sickness or something? I'm sorry but you're completely putting me off the idea of moving abroad, if only to avoid having to meet uptight ex-pats like yourself. Seriously mate, chill out! Paulio's only messing around and you're getting all defensive about how hard it is to live abroad, like all of us who are considering it are just a bunch of jokers who are going to turn up, decide it's pants and head straight back to Blighty on the first Easy Jet flight!

I didn't start this post for an argument mate so just calm down a bit... Cool
latest report
2000overdrive,

Uptight Puzzled Defensive Puzzled

What are you talking about? I'm having a bit of fun and like others here giving you straight information.

Quite a few people do turn up in the alps to work a season and jack it in around Christmas / New year. They thought they would be partying and skiing / boarding all the time like they did on holiday only to find out it's actually hard and sometimes dirty work.

There are not many in this life who get to ski on a regular basis without putting in the work and taking the risks. If you, Paulio or anyone else can't accept that then that's your problem.

I'm chilled, skiing yesterday with an Austrian and a German. Been down the christmas market today with my rabble and a German family. Came back just in time to see the ski racing and saw the Herminator show he wasn't finished yet. Bode skiing at 60mph on one ski was class too. It's all good.
snow report
DB wrote:
I'm chilled, skiing yesterday with an Austrian and a German. Been down the christmas market today with my rabble and a German family. Came back just in time to see the ski racing and saw the Herminator show he wasn't finished yet. Bode skiing at 60mph on one ski was class too. It's all good.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
2000overdrive, I agree with DB there are large numbers of people who decide to move out to the alps and basically think that it's going to be like an extended holiday. It isn't. You see the same thing on TV with Spain too. Where you love on holiday is not necessarily where you want to live. You don't often have time to stop and look at the views (no matter how nice they are) although hundreds of glances a day is really good Very Happy Very Happy , and you're often too tired to go skiing when you have the opportunity. Sad Insulting people who are trying to give correct information is really annoying.
latest report
2000overdrive wrote:
DB, Have you got altitude sickness or something? I'm sorry but you're completely putting me off the idea of moving abroad, if only to avoid having to meet uptight ex-pats like yourself. Seriously mate, chill out! Paulio's only messing around and you're getting all defensive about how hard it is to live abroad, like all of us who are considering it are just a bunch of jokers who are going to turn up, decide it's pants and head straight back to Blighty on the first Easy Jet flight!

I didn't start this post for an argument mate so just calm down a bit... Cool

I sense that DB and co have lost the English sense of humour here. So, not only are they never "properly accepted" in their adopted countries, they no longer are on the same wavelength as 2000 overdrive and Paulio.

It is hard to project comedy via this medium, But DB, anyone who wants to make the change knows that hard work is involved, but this seems to imply that you done little in th UK as its "oooh so much harder out there".

You have to work hard over here too to make a living, its all presure, they are not giving money away in London you know ! Its a lifestyle choice and one that requires careful consideration.... anyone making that consideration surely does not think they are going to chill out on holiday for the rest of theirt lives (unless lucky enough).

You may have made the lifestyle switch, but that does not make you superior DB.
snow conditions
Libertine, I'd like to opt out of your 'and co' please!

I'd also like to say that I'm really not recognising all this village hostility that people are describing - it might be different in Austria, but I've only ever found people to be friendly here. You're obviously not going to fit right in and be described as a local, because you're not one, but so what?
latest report
Libertine,

Londoners are trying to tell a northerner that his humour is out of whack. Michael Jackson will be trying to tell Barack Obama he ain't black next. Manchester - split the atom, made the first computer and invented Vimto. London? Toofy Grin

I've worked in the UK (North and South), held down a full time job while studying for a degree (took eight years for ONC. HNC then honours degree). 80+ hour weeks were the norm and my further education was paid for by my employer (who could then afford to pay me less esp during the recession). Born in a council house not far from moss side. Never went on a school holiday let alone a ski holiday because with 4 kids and humble beginnings my parents couldn't afford it. 30 years ago, a teacher paid 10 quid for a day trip to Scotland because I was the only kid in the class who couldn't afford it. Had to give up a managers position for a normal job over here. The life style I have I've worked for, I've taken risks that could have gone belly up.

No I'm not superior but really shouldn't be taking crap and insults from people who have only talked the talk. The same people I'm trying to help with straight advice so they can prepare themselves for what lies ahead.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 1-12-08 10:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DB wrote:

No I'm not superior but really shouldn't be taking take crap and insults from people who have only talked the talk. The same people I'm trying to help with straight advice so they can prepare themselves for what lies ahead.

Uitstekend Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
DB wrote:
No I'm not superior but really shouldn't be taking take crap and insults from people who have only talked the talk. The same people I'm trying to help with straight advice so they can prepare themselves for what lies ahead.

Hello.

Nobody's insulting anyone. I reckon you might have overreacted to an idle gag I posted earlier, and then I might have bit slightly too hard in response.

Propose we leave it all there, no harm done, and get back on topic. Whaddayasay?

I'd offer to kiss and make up but the last time I kissed a man from Manchester it all went horribly wrong.

For the record I'm pretty damn sure that upping sticks and moving to the Alps is a massive upheaval and involves a tonne of yer actual proper hard graft, and I've nothing but admiration (tinged with the faint envy that admiration often brings) for people who have made a success of it. In fact (feel free, anyone, to go back and check) I have not said a single word to the contrary, ever.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 1-12-08 10:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
paulio wrote:
Propose we leave it all there, no harm done, and get back on topic. Whaddayasay?

I'd offer to kiss and make up but the last time I kissed a man from Manchester it all went horribly wrong.

OK, but this time no tongues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back on the subject Very Happy
I would imagine the 'inter seasons' would be pretty challenging in terms of boredom. The few people I know that live full time in the Alps all seem to b off on rather nice holidays in the sun.
But you can't spend May to July and September to December on holiday. Can you? (and I realise doing the ski shows is no holiday wink )
snow report
paulio wrote:
For the record I'm pretty damn sure that upping sticks and moving to the Alps is a massive upheaval and involves a tonne of yer actual proper hard graft, and I've nothing but admiration (tinged with the faint envy that admiration often brings) for people who have made a success of it. In fact (feel free, anyone, to go back and check) I have not said a single word to the contrary, ever.

It's not so much the hard graft it's the fact that you drop down the ladder. One day you could be an up and coming manager the next you could just be an immigrant cleaner / general dogsbody who can't even talk properly. At first ordering a sandwich in the local shop was an ordeal. It's the same with any country I've experienced, the locals only give up the menial posts (e.g. Polish people working in the UK). In my case I've ended up doing the work of people above me who have then moved up without moving up the ladder myself. It's more who you are and who you know (esp politically) than what you can do here. You can't have it all and I've sacrificed my career for things like family time and skiing, but when I look back I don't think I will miss those extra hours in the office. It can be done but it normally takes a while to get comfortable again. Be weary that the locals don't normally give up good business opportunities either (these are kept in the family/ friends circle) so that dream business (e.g. hotel, guest house etc) might not be the goer you thought it was so check it all out carefully. My parents are now living in Spain and they are currently being shafted by the spainiards. They don't want to move back but they too realize it's not as easy or forseeable as they thought.
ski holidays
Quote:

One day you could be an up and coming manager the next you could just be an immigrant cleaner / general dogsbody who can't even talk properly.

My, that sounds familiar. Not easy, particularly when you're actually quite bright and used to being recognised as such. Makes me laugh when the Daily Mail types accuse immigrants of going to the UK for 'an easy life' - they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
ski holidays
Maybe we're all grabbing the wrong end of the stick here and I'm glad everyone's made up, I think it's just a bit of misunderstanding - perhaps when something's written down you can't quite judge the tone in which it was delivered and it sounds more aggressive than it was meant.

Anyway, back to topic... DB, how long would you say it took to be comfortable and in the time you've been there do you find many people coming out there to try it, then realising it's too difficult and going home again?

By the way, I'm from Blackpool, I just live in London now, so you don't have to worry about me being a southerner! Cool Very Happy
ski holidays
2000overdrive wrote:
Anyway, back to topic... DB, how long would you say it took to be comfortable and in the time you've been there do you find many people coming out there to try it, then realising it's too difficult and going home again?

We are all different (thankfully), some will slot in and never move back. Some people (e.g. partners) miss their family,friends, Fish & Chips too much and go back as soon as possible. I'm not in a resort but Austria's capital city, working a normal (non-ski industry related) job but being able to drive / train to the resorts. I'm a long way from the major resorts though. Friends of mine have moved from the UK to places like Geneva but to further their career they have taken opportunities elsewhere. Some have moved back to the UK, others are in Germany, one is in Holland and another has moved here etc. Have heard from many people that getting accomodation in Geneva is very difficult. Perhaps Lizzard, Easiski or others could comment on what it's like in the resort. My impression is that resort work normally doesn't pay enough to raise a family etc and once people have done a season or two their skiing / boarding skills are developed and they look for other challenges in life. Positions elsewhere that will reward them better financially. This enables them to explore life's other pleasures but still be skilled enough to ski/board for a week or two on the slopes of the world's more challenging resorts. I'd say it's true for most people who stay - they never reach the place on the career ladder that they would of reached had they stayed in the UK. It's down to what that individual and their family deems as comfortable. If you are the only mad-for-it-skier / boarder in your family and you have a good circle of family / friends back in the UK it will almost certainly not work. I moved out when I didn't have any dependants or mortgage (was renting) and could of picked up something back in the UK had it gone belly up. Although I couldn't speak German my wife (then gf) is Austrian which made it a lot easier too.

2000overdrive wrote:
By the way, I'm from Blackpool, I just live in London now, so you don't have to worry about me being a southerner! Cool Very Happy

Did my degree at The University of Central Lancashire (that's Preston poly to us normal folk).

If anyone is thinking of moving to the alps then start learning/improving the language now (e.g. French, German etc). Worse case you don't move but can still insult queue pushers whilst on a ski holiday in their own language. Wink
snow report
DB, did you find the language to be much of a barrier to your career? I've known people come out here and work in places like Siemens for more than ten years without learning the language rolling eyes Some of them have done OK career wise. Everyone here speaks english, to the extent that it's sometimes difficult to get them to speak German with you!
snow conditions
It's good that this thread has got back on track. I've worked a few winter seasons in Austria & Switzerland for local ski schools which just about covered my expenses, but didn't allow for any luxuries. I've attempted on a couple of occasions to stay year round but as DB states, finding work ain't easy. The only summer work i could get was labouring, driving/deliveries, cleaning, bar work etc. Although it paid enough for me to survive, it was a bit "hand to mouth" style of living.

I'm getting a bit too old to be doing that now. I guess if you're seriously looking into living in or near the Alps, a robust and realistic wage earning plan must be top of your priority list. Most of this thread is useful and informative, Good luck.
snow conditions
[quote]
anyone is thinking of moving to the alps then start learning/improving the language now (e.g. French, German etc). Worse case you don't move but can still insult queue pushers whilst on a ski holiday in their own language.

HA HA, i think that is definately the key to learn the language. I feel that the work would certainly be lower paid but would hoper to have the sufficient funds behind me so that I did not HAVE to work all the time. However, working is the best way to really get to know the area and help you meet different people and have new skills to move around freely and help with the local language.
snow conditions
Steilhang wrote:
DB, did you find the language to be much of a barrier to your career? I've known people come out here and work in places like Siemens for more than ten years without learning the language rolling eyes Some of them have done OK career wise. Everyone here speaks english, to the extent that it's sometimes difficult to get them to speak German with you!

Without learning the language I found that the interpreters were far happier taking credit for the content rather than the translation. Confused I have many conversations where the other person hears my accent and still wants to speak English, I've had whole conversations this way. You get more respect if you learn the local language but I would say it depends on the company's business language (e.g. some Austrian firms are very international and have English not German as their business language).
ski holidays
I didn't speak much french when I came here, and my 'friend' who did a fair bit of translation for me turned out to be not as helpful as I thought. Once I could speak enough french (and he'd left due to failing his exams) I found he'd mis-represented a fair bit of what I said, and plain old lied on a few occasions. Shocked the local french are much friendlier that DB, suggests the local austrians are, but when you're the incomer you have to be the one to make the effort.

Yes I did mean the Scottish highlands, and I have to say that the hardest place that I've moved to is Yorkshire - much more difficult than either Scotland or France. Shocked

Boredsurfing, I would sooooo love to be able to spend the interseasons here - it's so peaceful. Little Angel Unfortunately I have to go back to the UK to earn some money in the autumn as I can't get temp work here. I don't write french well, and my back trouble and the tendonitis in my right arm mean that I can no longer do cleaning. BTW I don't see any problem with doing cleaning jobs either.

Yes, it is hand to mouth to a large degree, but once you've thrown off the idea of living in an oversized space for your needs, and buying lots of new stuff just because you can, you do get used to it. Very Happy If you have what you need, what else do you want???

WRT people realising that it'll be hard etc - well, we've all seen lots of people come and go again over the years, most people don't realise how hard it will be, so those of us who might have appeared discouraging are just being realistic.
snow report
DB, easiski, If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan to do as you get older and get towards retirement age? Do you have a contingency plan, will you come back to the UK or stick it out in Austria and France respectively?

Is it right to assume that what can be difficult now would become almost impossible as you reach old age.
snow conditions
Such an interesting thread. I planned, at one stage, to live in France - with pretty fluent spoken and written French already and with specific skilled (professional) work in mind, two essential conditions IMV. That fell through for family reasons but I was very clear at the time that, although it would be good to be within easy reach of the Alps (and within 10 minutes of Mont Ventoux, a sort of outdoor equivalent of a snowdome! wink ) there was no way I would survive, either financially or socially, actually living in a ski resort.

One thing that I found when I did a season - working as a resort rep for Supertravel - many years ago, was that most people wanted to talk about skiing all the time. Dare I admit on this forum that that proved fairly boring in the end? (I'll get my coat, just in case.)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy