Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's it like to live in the alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard and Ordhan, Very well put. At the moment chopping logs sounds more productive than the dross we are engaged in. We'd move, but are probably the most indecisive, non-committent types and my worry would be that neither of us would get a job. It's all very well when the weather is fine, and you are on hols, but the bills, the crap and the politics are all the same wherever you go...

JFDI is probably what the Myers-Briggs would come up with... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Libertine,
Quote:

EVERYONE is in a rush....

Tell me about it, it's absolute madness round here - I just stepped out for a sandwich and nearly got mown down by a stampede of loonies covered in santa hats and shopping bags.

Maybe I could get a job in the alps chopping wood? Lizzard, require a wood chopper (erm.....Shocked)?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2000overdrive, remember what I said about minimal income? I could pay you in cups of tea and home made gingerbread, but that's about it. Laughing

Fortunately I start work on Dec 9, a week earlier than I expected. Hurrah and indeed phew!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone thinking of just uping sticks and running to the hills /mountains should realize that British people who have a fair amount of experience in a ski related business along with a command of the local language often struggle to make ends meet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

2000overdrive, remember what I said about minimal income? I could pay you in cups of tea and home made gingerbread, but that's about it.

Right, that's sustenance sorted. Just need to find a job to provide a bed, one for a roof and walls, and one for a ski pass.

Maybe I could drive a piste basher or something. That can't be too hard, careering about on a mountain. In the winter. At night. In a giant plough. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
stanton, and what are you doing to earn the money to fund this idyll?

I put my feet up years ago. I let other folk work now. Fulltime Ski Bum is much better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2000overdrive wrote:
Quote:

2000overdrive, remember what I said about minimal income? I could pay you in cups of tea and home made gingerbread, but that's about it.

Right, that's sustenance sorted. Just need to find a job to provide a bed, one for a roof and walls, and one for a ski pass.

Maybe I could drive a piste basher or something. That can't be too hard, careering about on a mountain. In the winter. At night. In a giant plough. Very Happy

I'll fight you for that wood chopping job. I love gingerbread.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's true what Lizzard says though, about small villages. She lives in a metropolis compared to LDA. We have a permanent population of about 2,250 between the two communes (including the villages themselves), so it really is very small. Also there really isn't anything to do in inter-season, like now. Just the other day my firend Luca was complaining about being bored. I love it, but then I'm basically a country bumpkin anyway. If you are a real urbanite I don't think you could settle to it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, easiski, I like the way you're both trying to put people off so you can have the place to yourselves. Smile

"Yeah, don't come here, it's rubbish..."

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 1-12-08 10:10; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, ha ha....

Its the getting a job thing that worries me, communities of 2250 no problem...... less people can dislike me than in london Very Happy

seriously tho, most people only have a smallish circle of friends, i prob only have 50 friends and only 10 'proper' friends 2250 is loads of people!

I think in five years i will have enough funds.... providing i do not lose my job and they dont cut the bonuses further Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, I'm being realistic. I like it. However, I have a tolerance for the urban environment of about 40 minutes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio wrote:
Lizzard, easiski, I like the way you're both trying to put people off so you can have the place to yourselves. Smile

"Yeah, don't come here, it's rubbish..."

Go then, try and get a job. When you are considered against other applicants who have the same sort of experience as easiski or Lizzard you'll be looking for a long time for anything half decent.
If your love of skiing and the mountains is so great that you are willing to give up many other things then you might make it work.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, why the aggressive tone? It looks like you're goading me.

"Go on then, I dare you... bet you're not good enough."

When all I was really doing was chatting and stuff.

Hard day at the office?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
2000overdrive, Fortunately I start work on Dec 9, a week earlier than I expected. Hurrah and indeed phew!

Where is the new job for the winter?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anniepen, lift company at 2Alpes. More character-building Francophone working environment - hoping to reduce amount of time spent feeling like the village idiot. Laughing
snow report
 brian
brian
Lizzard, a lady of loisirs eh ? Discounts for snowHead s ?
ski holidays
brian, chortle. DAL are not known for discounting, unfortunately. Though Mr L will get his season pass for under 200€, which is something of a bargain.
ski holidays
Lizzard, I asked in case we were to be treated to more comedy reports from the aisles of SuperU (was it Puzzled ) but never mind - I dare say there is scope for fun in a lift pass office Very Happy
ski holidays
Anniepen, I certainly hope so - flogging lift tickets could get dull otherwise. I was in two minds about applying for cashier or lift op, but the cashiers are paid more and don't lose pay when there's bad weather and lifts are shut.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:

Hard day at the office?

I got the same impression here Paulio.

What those who have 'done it' have to remember, they started out dreaming of the move and, because of their desire, they have made it work for them. There is nothing to suggest that others like us could do just as well (if not better).

OK, a lot are at that dreaming stage and it may never pay off. but its talking about our dreams that makes it become reality and closer if thats what we chose. Simply saying that we are not as experienced as Easiski is a bit disapointing....

Anyway, back to the topic..... whats it like Very Happy
latest report
Libertine wrote:
paulio wrote:

Hard day at the office?

I got the same impression here Paulio.

What those who have 'done it' have to remember, they started out dreaming of the move and, because of their desire, they have made it work for them. There is nothing to suggest that others like us could do just as well (if not better).

OK, a lot are at that dreaming stage and it may never pay off. but its talking about our dreams that makes it become reality and closer if thats what we chose. Simply saying that we are not as experienced as Easiski is a bit disapointing....

Permission to shout "Bravo" at an annoyingly loud volume, sir..... Permission granted..... BRAVO!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

What those who have 'done it' have to remember, they started out dreaming of the move

Actually I just got a summer job in France while out of work during a recession. I switched to ski because I came back to the UK one October and had an irresistible urge to scream and run away.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

What those who have 'done it' have to remember, they started out dreaming of the move

Actually I just got a summer job in France while out of work during a recession. I switched to ski because I came back to the UK one October and had an irresistible urge to scream and run away.

So all the rest of us need now, is a recession...
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

So all the rest of us need now, is a recession...

Now - I know I saw one somewhere.........
snow report
You can have the best of all worlds! Live in Munich, Zürich, Geneva or even Milan. A friend of mine works in Munich and lives in Axams (Innsbruck). He's arranged things so that he only needs to come into Munich on one or two days a week! Ideal!

You shouldn't have any illusions about the locals welcoming you with open arms! They have not been sitting around waiting for you to come along with your business idea for another photographers shop/hairdressers/fish & chips restaurant ( now there's an idea )/ Irish pub. Most niches have already been taken, and they are not willingly given up!
My wife comes from a village deep in the Austrian Alps. Personally I couldn't handle it long term. It's village life, which means that everybody knows exactly what everybody else is doing! It needs to be understood that an outsider will NEVER be accepted as a local! That applies to people who come from other parts of Austria and in greater measure to foreigners who move in and want to become part of the local scene ( You should hear what the guys think about the Dutch who move into Kleinwalsertal Toofy Grin ). And as stated above amenities are lacking to say the least!
To my mind the ideal solution is to find a decent sized town with good access to the mountains. Annecy springs to mind, but that probably isn't the cheapest place on the planet Very Happy
latest report
Steilhang, Annecy is known for being one of the most expensive places in France. Very nice though.
snow report
Steilhang, Yes - you can never 'belong' but it's no worse than when I lived in Aviemore - just with language problems to boot. However you can be accepted, but you have to prove yourself, and also prove that you're in it for the long haul - that takes about 10 years at least. However I was thrilled when one of the 'real' locals told clients that 'charlotte n'est plus anglaise, elle est une de chez nous maintenant' Very Happy However, as Lizzard says: it's small village life. You have the same conversation with different people on a very regular basis - wow - when the Marche U closed for 3 weeks to expand two years ago that kept us going for at least 2 of the 2 weeks. Laughing Laughing

The point is, living in the alps is great, but you do need to be happy without many people around for long periods of time.
snow report
easiski wrote:
It's true what Lizzard says though, about small villages. She lives in a metropolis compared to LDA. We have a permanent population of about 2,250 between the two communes (including the villages themselves),

Crowded that is Wink ! Our community's about 1600 and not much to recommend it!

Quote:
You can never 'belong' ......... you have to prove yourself, and also prove that you're in it for the long haul - that takes about 10 years at least.
... blimey, round here I reckon you have to be 3rd generation and even then it's touch & go. I have NO chance - I'm a Yorkshire lass, living in Lincolnshire rolling eyes

Quote:

I'm basically a country bumpkin anyway.

Me too, & nowt wrong with that! Mind you it is getting to the point where living in a town/city would be considerably cheaper. I am well fed up with coughing up £5.40 to cross the Humber Bridge on the days I work at Hull Uni and there is no public transport alternative.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:

Hard day at the office?

What are you talking about? there's not an agressive word in there.

People are just being straight with you, people who have done it. There are two particular German programs about immagrating German familes on TV here. One program is about the people with dreams going out with all sorts of crazy ideas (sausage stands etc) the other program covers their return when it all goes t!ts up. Just because the world isn't rosy where you are doesn't mean a quick change of scenery will make all your dreams come true esp in a recession. Very few make it work.

After 8.5 years here in Austria things are a lot easier for me now but in the early days when I didn't understand the lingo there were times when I really questioned my decision to move here.

Most Brits who move out to the alps and make it work long time have something to offer (e.g. they can speak the local lingo and they have experience in a ski related profession such as ski instruction, the hotel industry etc) but even then very few make a comfortable living without having to work hard. Sometimes much harder than the locals for a lower pay.

It's a free world you can do what you want, but you are acusing the people who are trying to be straight with you as being greedy ("I like the way you're both trying to put people off so you can have the place to yourselves") - my answer to that is a very un-agressive "well if you don't believe us then try it".
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Steilhang, Annecy is known for being one of the most expensive places in France. Very nice though.

It's like the French Eastbourne, full of old dears pottering around. Would drive me mad. The old town is pleasant but very little in the way of work. The outskirts are the typical mix of jerry built flats and shopping centers.

I sometimes wonder what the French who live outside Paris/Lyon actually do for work, then I remember that most are working for the govt. Laughing
snow report
Libertine wrote:

Nobody is saying you couldn't do it, it is hard work even when you are qualified/experienced to do something that the central europeans are looking for.

What's it like - there's pros and cons, as time goes on the cons become less. Off skiing for the 4th day this season tomorrow. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 28-11-08 21:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
easiski wrote:
Steilhang, Yes - you can never 'belong' but it's no worse than when I lived in Aviemore - just with language problems to boot. However you can be accepted, but you have to prove yourself, and also prove that you're in it for the long haul - that takes about 10 years at least. However I was thrilled when one of the 'real' locals told clients that 'charlotte n'est plus anglaise, elle est une de chez nous maintenant' Very Happy However, as Lizzard says: it's small village life. You have the same conversation with different people on a very regular basis - wow - when the Marche U closed for 3 weeks to expand two years ago that kept us going for at least 2 of the 2 weeks. Laughing Laughing

The point is, living in the alps is great, but you do need to be happy without many people around for long periods of time.
My wife's grandfather was from Munich. He married an nth generation Walser girl back in 1920. The family is still considered suspect by the rest of the valley rolling eyes That and the fact that they have made an economic success of their business is the source of much mistrust and envy! I do speak the language, and I even understand the Walser dialect ( not many people do Shocked ), I grew up in Austria but I will always be an outsider, and my wife who has lived outside of the valley for many years now is equally considered an outsider! It's the way it is unfortunately!
If and when I do finally move to the mountains it will definitely be in a town, like Garmisch or Innsbruck or even Oberstdorf! Alpine village life would just grind me down!

And besides, my liver wouldn't stand up to it for long Toofy Grin
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
I grew up in Austria but I will always be an outsider, and my wife who has lived outside of the valley for many years now is equally considered an outsider! It's the way it is unfortunately!

The French are a lot friendlier than that.
snow report
I've lived in two British villages within Derbyshire & Shropshire (because I wanted to be near Mountain bike & walking routes). Other people who were not born there but had lived there for over 15 years but were still considered outsiders. The Brits were also a lot less friendly to outsiders than the Austrians who live around me now.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 28-11-08 21:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Libertine, Well said. I would not want to live anywhere else. I suppose I am lucky, living in the fabulous North Yorkshire, nestled between 2 National parks snowHead

Too much information ...I'd have hoped you would have at least described your nocturnal resting place as National Assets. Mrs Frosty will be disappointed.

Snow out the back door.. Med out the front door, suits me!
latest report
We've been in Saalbach 5 years and like a lot of others in the mountains already, loving it.
I must say I have never had a view from my office like I have now Very Happy
People say about missing the city and maybe living in a city close to the mountains. We can be in Salzburg in about 1 1/4 hours where there is a great cosmopolitan atmosphere and all the same pubs, restaurants etc you would find anywhere. If you live on the outskirts of london it could take an hour and the views into Salzburg are much better than on the tube.

The life in the mountains is hard work as many jobs in the UK are, but the life is very different. There are positive and negatives to moving abroad, its not all grass is greener (or snow is whiter!). I must say that I cannot see myself living in the UK for some time, if ever, and would say to anyone thinking about to give it a go. You can always go back if it is not for you, not met many who later go back though !!
latest report
davidof wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
I grew up in Austria but I will always be an outsider, and my wife who has lived outside of the valley for many years now is equally considered an outsider! It's the way it is unfortunately!

The French are a lot friendlier than that.

Yes, but ....

Talking to a friend in the village recently, about another villager, who had recently married. I asked

"who did she marry"

to which I got the reply, "oh, someone not from around here... an outsider..... from Courchevel"

Courchevel must be all of about ten miles away Laughing
ski holidays
Move to Calgary. Good job opportunities. Fab mountains, for both summer and winter. Cowboy culture. No language barrier and cheaper to live.

Gryphea
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
.... I came back to the UK one October and had an irresistible urge to scream and run away.

Exactly what I feel --when coming back to UK from France or Spain.

As I don't partake much of city life these days, I think it's crazy for me to stay in the middle of London, even though it's a lovely leafy part of the capital.
My UK friends would visit me if I lived abroad, and so would my grown-up son--he's my only close family now. I have a circle of local friends in the village I've been going to for the past 14 years or so. I do speak French. (a bit limited in vocabulary-- but fluent with what I have!)
I was thinking of taking the plunge and selling my flat here, and buying in the Alps-- but the recession hit just as I was mentally and emotionally ready to start things moving...
So where do I go from here? Just put it all on hold?... Sad
snow report
Well, try the small villages in the highlands .... rolling eyes All small, isolated (at least in the past) communities are extremely protectionist - but that's hardly surprising.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy