Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What training do people do to get in shape for Skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered if people have any specific training that they do for the forthcoming season.

I have just started going to a new gym in manchester called primal fitness (www.primalfitness.co.uk) where there are no running machines, rowers etc but there are three types of class (Bodyweight, Kettle Bell and GPP) which basically work on the core muscles. Anyway been going for a month and legs feel stronger and fitness better already.

If anybody has any specific exercises they do outside of the usual squats I would be interested to hear them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cham08, I have been mainly lazing on the sofa for the past two months, though I have been up and down the stairs a few times and chopped some wood. How does that sound?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cham08, there are loads of threads on Snowheads about this, and lots of really good suggestions and links to videos etc.

However, the straightforward answer to your question is that the majority of holiday skiers (though probably not the majority of snowHead s) do absolutely nothing whatsoever to get in shape. wink Then they wonder why their legs ache.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cham08, Work on your quads if the leg extension machines are there. Other good one that I like is by using the step platform thingy (looks like a small plastic table - sorry don't know the official name). Basically line up at right angles to step with left foot on ground and right foot on step. Quickly bring your left foot onto step platform as you put your right foot down onto floor, then do same in reverse and keep repeating until you're knackered. This is great for balance, timing, strength and cardio. Then once finished that have a nice pint of cold beer, and repeat until you fall on floor wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Defumigate my boots and read threads on fitness.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Proper preperation prevents p*ss poor performance - so I am going for a skinful of strong continental lager this evening, and I shall do the same again tomorrow
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Being a bit of a fitness freak I use an intensive regime to improve my core strength, general balance and cardio fitness. Normally buy a case of tirolean beer and drink it while dancing to apres ski music on the wooden garden furniture.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been smoking cigarettes on the roof of a 28 storey skyscraper to try and get used to the altitude.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I drink a couple extra pints a day for 3 months before wink The only exercise I get is pushing my luck (copyright KP)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

read threads on fitness.

yes, I do lots of that, and I try to step up the repetitions as my departure for the Alps approaches.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Increase wine consumption to show the liver who's in charge.

I watch my wife use the rowing machine.

And a bit of biking.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Proper dietary discipline is essential - accordingly I shall be gradually reducing the pie & chips content in favour of the more alpine cheese, bacon & potato. (If going to the US simply switch to greater burger & nacho content, if Canada stick with the chips n gravy but add cheese to them.)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I normally do a combination of Body Pump 3 times a week, at least 1 pilates class and a boxing class maybe a blast on a power plate and then some cardio and mountain biking etc so just my normal year round routine !

My boss described me as an athlete the other day which I found very bizarre rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Increase wine consumption to show the liver who's in charge.

This can easily be overlooked and is worth emphasizing. You get people who hardly drink anything all year round, and then they go on holiday with no preparation at all and wonder why they are feeling like death after the first few days of a vin chaud mid-morning, a small pichet of red with their lunchtime pizza, a couple of gin and tonics and a skinfull of the chalet's cheap plonk with dinner. It's free, after all. If made the effort, had a bit of self-discipline and put in just an hour or so a day of moderate to heavy drinking before they went, they'd enjoy the holiday so much more.

This sort of preparation is even more important for the older skier.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This approach has worked well for me over the years. I was fifty in April still go skiing twice a year to Austria - got to go where the best apres ski is - and can still party with the best of them and get a bit of skiing in in between. The 50 week preparation period can be hard work but its got to be done and is well worth it.
latest report
15 one legged squats left leg, 3 on the right leg, get bored, give up, open a bottle of wine, find a nice bit of cheese, read thread on pre-ski fitness. I'm also intending to drink lower quality wine for the next couple of weeks to ensure I can hack the chalet plonk.
ski holidays
For me its to the garage, crack open the paint stripper and a couple of hits on the head with a hammer Puzzled
ski holidays
The dedication of some people on here astounds me.
latest report
Get the ladders out of garage, stand in the garden with them on my shoulder, having bound my feet tightly with duct tape.
snow conditions
cham08, Kettlebells are so weird, but I have seen amazing results from them.... Also see PowerPlate thread on here.

Fair play to the usual jokers of course (av. age 22) but if, like me, you are older than you were and certain bits are starting to creak then you are wise to consider pre-ski training, both to maximise your enjoyment and minimise your risk of injury. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Fair play to the usual jokers of course (av. age 22)

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Nothing specific, I try for a couple of cardio sessions and a couple of weights circuits a week. Bit of cycling at the weekend.

Anything is better than nothing.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the pre ski tips, going to call into Netto and get a 3 litres box of hideous red and start training, will leave out dancing on the garden furniture bit this week though wink
snow report
Bartezki, here is one more: run cross-country (5 km) every day in your ski boots, and when you ski you will wonder why is that so easy Very Happy
snow conditions
I vaguely think about it. Then I have another glass of wine and watch the rugby.
snow report
Drink Whisky, Beer and eat Curry. I'm in shape, round is a shape.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy