Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nagano / Hokkaido?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm travelling round Japan at the moment.I would like to go skiing for a few days on or around 20December.I thought Nagano as it is close to Kyoto and has backpacker hostels. I need to get back to Osaka for my flight eventually.Can I get to Nagano from Takayama? Might fit better with itinerary.I could do further North if the bullet trains are quick or have to ski mid December?Night trains or night buses are an option with the JR railpass though I hear night trains don't usually have sears - all beds I'd couchettes.Are there hostels in Hokkaido?Any suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Takayama to Nagano by train will take at least 5hrs7mins, with a minimum of 2 changes.....a bit like getting to Wengen for the MSB! There are small ski areas in Gifu.....incl HidaTakayama: longest piste 2,000m. You could do worse than hire a car and visit the local ski areas....... check out www.snowjapan.com , but if you want something bigger Nagano is probably better. Last time I took a night train from Ueno(Tokyo) to Nagano there were only seats, no couchettes. 'Bullet' trains by nature are quick wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, is it better to get back to Tokyo and take the bullet? I'd be coming back from south and Kyoto anyway so doubt the time saving will be much.
Tgere's also the overnight to Sapporo. I have a Japan rail pass so should save me some.
Think I'm looking at Happo-one or Niseko. A car would eat even further into my diminishing budget Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
? :0 ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, have you gone onto the hokkaido thread on the snowreports - there is a another snowHead in situ that might be able to give you the word on the ground (not to take away from Mac46 input at all)

Mac46, 5hrs7mins....nice Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
doogo, ara sure it's the logic of it all isn't it?! if I hadda given him the number of minutes spent on platforms he might have become befuddled.
:0 =??????? Mr Freeman, Sir, like most travellers you're talking yourself into a decision which none of us will influence at all, at all. A final word before I return to my balcony to gaze upon the distant snow-capped hills and wonder if it's worth the effort to drive an hour and 20mins to ski for a few hours before our annual ski club meeting at 4:30; you'd better check the snow reports and let them do your deciding.......I've left here(Zao) when we've had 185cm of perfectly wonderful snow and gone to that super-hyped northern ski area N. to find 64cm(measured it meself!) of rock hard crud. As the song goes, Seasons Differ. And don't go bothering that nice fella MikePow; he's got enough on his plate with the 30% drop in visitors and nobody wanting to buy those condominiums he and McAlpine's Fusiliers have been building and the snow almost gone. Where ever you end up, enjoy! Sure isn't that what it's all about. Last night's tennis cub party was just great......I think Confused Maybe I'd better not drive today...........
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ha ha Mac46

All I've got on my plate is great Japanese and Western food Wink

I replied to GordonFreeman on the snowjapan forum.

Go with Mac46's advice. Honshu at that time of the year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
but if you're determined to use that JR Pass........Tokyo-Hachinohe on the Hayate Express, on to Aomori by local train (journey time ,approx 3hrs 17mins) then the night train from Aomori to Sapporo(journey time 7hrs 25mins......leaves at 22:45, arr 06:07)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow...that is a long trip.
Honshu then...fingers crossed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It looks like there's a massive dump coming to Hokkaido this weekend.
What are the conditions like there anyone?
Might be worth making the overnight trip up for skiing on Monday/Tuesday?
The temps in Hakuba are waaaay too higgh for anything decent...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy