Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney St Jean.... wot's it like?

Poster: A snowHead
Just contemplating a sneaky new year 5 night trip - obviously a little hard to get accomodation in lots of resorts (bloody 1 week rule - and we're looking at wednesday to monday trip so that's causing havoc) ... so flying into Milan, it looks like Gressoney might be a runner

.. trouble is I don't know anything about it?

Skiing terrain? (what are the lifts like - Tbars would be the showstopper; how about queueing? how would you rate the extent of the pistes?)
Restaurants and bars? (we're a couple - like a decent meal but some atmosphere after that as well - not all out St. Anton fun but at least some bars - let's just say that La Thuile up the road was very dead mid January a couple of years ago....)
What's the journey up to the village like in a car (are we talking motorway or evil kneivel switchbacks?)

many thanks
D
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gressoney La Trinite - skiing - good, decent hands free lift system, hardly any queues (maybe a bit busier at weekends....)

Gressoney St Jean - very limited skiing, stay up the road at Gressoney La Trinite

if you think La Thuile was dead, Gress will be quieter......

drive up is ok, not motorway, narrow roads, would be "interesting" in heavy snow.....

try this hotel... http://www.hoteldufour.it/

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you drink enough of the strong lager in the "Bierrarria" in St-Jean, you won't remember whether you had a good time or not
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied there many years ago & Mrs W was impressed with the Italian charm & Food Very Happy

Here's a link to what Snoworks thinks abot Gressoney
http://www.snoworks.co.uk/resorts/italy.html

It is deffinatly worth a visit
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, Gressoney La Trinité is a great place, not Gressoney St Jean: see the piste map .
Nice village and very good off piste as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
decent hands free lift system

what places don't actually have hands free lifts passes these days?

Seems rather stone age, not to have these.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the replies folks... food for thought ....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
doogo, have a look at my TR from last Jan at Gressoney Trip - sounds like an identical scenario - we did a Thursday thru Tuesday trip, staying at the Hotel Lysjoch (link in the TR). Admittedly the area is pretty quiet in the evening, but the skiing is ace.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geoffers, except you were staying where the skiing is, not miles away down the valley.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
St Jean is pretty.

Has a decent hill above the village that's great for when it's dumping and visibiity is poor.

Good restaurants and Italian ambiance. Quiet.

Only a short taxi ride / shuttle from your accommodation from the village to the main Monte Rosa lifts at Trinitie or Staffal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Geoffers, thanks for the TR, missed it when I did a scan of resorts thread

Sounds good - now i've just got to gets me a hotel in La Trinite or Staffal....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with Hotel DuFour but Jolanda Sport is good too. Awesome off piste - I can dig out some links about that if you want. Heliskiing too if you fancy off the top of the Monte Rosa (was too windy when I was there). Rather quiet but I've never found that an issue unless one was by oneself. Make sure you get into the other two valleys. I presume the lift up to Punta Indren (?) has been replaced. It was a museum piece when I was there last but I'd heard a replacement was scheduled.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dsoutar, don't think punta indren had been replaced unfortunately. there are plans to put a chairlift up the ridge to pretty much where the Indren used to finish but I believe that this has not yet happened Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some links (first 3 in Italian):

http://www.monterosa-ski.com

http://www.freerideparadise.it/

http://www.skiinfo.it/Informazioni-Localita/Gressoney-La-Trinite-MonterosaSki-EITGRESSONE-103-it.jhtml

This sounds like a great trip

http://www.monterosa.com/Tripsandtravels/Heliski/TwodayMonterosatour/tabid/95/Default.aspx
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

dsoutar, don't think punta indren had been replaced unfortunately. there are plans to put a chairlift up the ridge to pretty much where the Indren used to finish but I believe that this has not yet happened

Yeah - I was there in Feb. The old lift machinery is still there but the lift is very, very gone. It still rankles I never got to ride it. No work on a replacement was obvious.

I'd back up the choice of Hotel Dufour in Gressoney La Trinite. If you're feeling adventurous and are able to travel light, like really light then the Guglielmina refuge is also an option.

The heli options are less expensive than in comparable places. From memory I think we negotiated rotation + guiding for somewhere around 130GBP each. If you stay in Hotel Dufour ask around in the hotel about this as the owner is one of the guides.
snow report
gorilla, the new chairlift will supposedly run from Passo Salati up to Punta Indren (so not in exactly the same place as before). Not sure what they plan to do to replace the old bucket lift to get out of the bowl back into the ski area proper rather than going all the way back to Alagna. You can still get into that bowl (forget the name) with a short walk from Salati but you need to know how to get out
snow conditions
dsoutar wrote:
Heliskiing too if you fancy off the top of the Monte Rosa (was too windy when I was there).

For example one time when I did it :
latest report
Arno, Cheers for that - I was inspired to read Verbier61s thread on TGR about it as well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy