Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Johann im Pongau

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Anyone been ?

Booked to go there end of Jan so any recommendations or advice about the place any snowHeads have will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going in Feb so would also be interested in any impressions Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where about are you staying? It is about 20 mins away from us. Maybe we could meet up .

Nigel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
djfletcher, have you MET Axsman, Shocked wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well... Sankt Johann is a fantastic town for apres.... it has loads of good bars (plus an irish pub with a mad irish landlord) Toofy Grin

The skiing.... st.Johann itself is pretty limited... a couple of nice runs but a little limited.... Alpendorf, however (right next door) is another story!

loads of runs, nice new gondola (1 year old).

Alpendorf links into Wagrain (Grafenberg), which has quite a lot on offer. from the bottom of here you can grab a shuttle to the Mozart Lift (which is accross the valley). This takes you to the top of Flachau - then you have all this available too! Massive area and great fun!

Good luck and let us know when you are out here!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Michelle, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing

flangesax, We are at the Alpenland SportHotel in St Johann for the week beginning Sunday Feb 8th. It's a time-share swap out which makes it effectively free (apart from travel, food, ski hire, lift passes oh and BEER! rolling eyes ). We stayed at Maria Alm (another SportHotel) last year and really enjoyed it. Made a nice change from all the 'mega' French resorts.

Key question - What's the Apres like in StJ or Alpendorf? I trust there will be sufficient cheesy Europop, lederhosen and Jaegerbombs available? Madeye-Smiley

P.S. take no notice whatsoever of Michelle, or indeed anyone who mentions Judy Garland. Little Angel

EDIT: Just re-read your post and noticed the very useful opening comments on Apres. Sounds like my kinda town! wahaaay! Madeye-Smiley Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
djfletcher, we're in an apatment on the edge of St Johann, there for a week from 24/01.

flangesax, sounds great, thanks for the info - still trying to get my head around the size of the ski amade area, it looks massive ! snowHead Laughing

Another question - we'll be booking our lift passes to run from the Sunday, however we arrive in the resort (hopefully) around midday on the Saturday and the plan is to try and get out on the snow for a bit as soon as we get there (like you do)...do you know if we can get a half day pass from the nearest slope or lift office ?

Looking online the minimum pass is 2 days.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax, has it just about right. I had a great time in Alpendorf last winter coming over from Altenmarkt / Zauchensee. Really interesting terrain if not too challenging. I rate that area highly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It's a time-share swap out

How tf did you manage that Axsman? I've never been able to get any sort of time-share swap for any ski area in February! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
phil625sxc, you can buy your lift pass from the bottom of any main lift at the bottom of the mountain - hardly /if any queues. Passes purchased for 'tomorrow' can be used from 3pm 'today'. Yes you can also buy a day pass - the price decreases by a few euros per hour from 11am I think. No photo needed until 10+ days - but its all digital anyway. Lift stations take visa, as to most ski hire shops, but watch out for the supermarkets and small shops/restaurants, best take cash. Austria is still a bit backward about coming forward when it comes to visa. Happy skiing. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the ice perv, Yes it can be tricky. We own a time share in Marbella (Marriott) and the swap company is Interval International (about 1/3 the size of RCI) so not too many places to choose from in northern Europe. However we found the Maria Alm place last year and managed to get booked in Ok so this year we tried for St Johann. Put the request in sometime around August and it just came up about 6 weeks later. Probably helps that we are going the week before half term i.e. not peak. of course with your annual service charge it means it isn't really free, more like about £400 for a weeks accommodation without food. But that's not bad for a family of 6 in the Alps.

If it works out Ok we'll probably be swapping our for the next few years. (got bored with beach holidays a few years back) snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Axsman - we're back to Maria Alm again this year! That makes 5 years in a row we've exchanged our timeshare to go skiing. We get 2 apartments because some friends go with us. There's never any problem getting into either Maria Alm or St Johann, they seem to have loads of availability in Interval International. In fact there are still studio apartments available at both place for January and February 2009.

Sorry to turn this into a timeshare thread but hey, it's still snow and holidays Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have just booked 5 nights for four of us on 8th March returning to flangesax's place,

The frostlets are gutted as they just loved the place, the skiing , the snow etc etc and it is school time. This is a boys tripo (The Boss is having a girly trip in the New Year). If anyon else fancies it then let me know. Flights with Thomsonfly from MAN will see us get 5 days skiing in Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Get thee behind me Satan Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sue S, Sounds good, we'll probably make it an annual trip either to Maria Alm or St Johann from now on. (we need two apartments too, as there are 4 teenagers in the family!)
snow report
Quote:

we need two apartments too, as there are 4 teenagers in the family!

Does that include you and Mrs Axsman? Toofy Grin
snow report
flangesax, very useful info, thanks for that. Very Happy
latest report
Sue S, er, better make that 6 then! Laughing
snow report
Sue - if you are at this end of the valley ( Muehlbach ) let us know and we can meet up to have a ski. There is a new gondola opens here this year. We are getting our first ski this weekend.

Nigel
snow report
Axsman, I've never heard of Interval, I'm with RCI, maybe that's where I'm going wrong!
ski holidays
the ice perv, http://www.intervalworld.com/

I think RCI has more choice though (but Marriott don't use them as far as I know.)

djfletcher, Is that Muehlbach that is just up the valley from Maria Alm? after Dienten? If so we skied there (and part way back) last year and liked it a lot (but were completely kn@ckered, it was a heavy snow day Very Happy )
snow conditions
St J in P can be an absolute hoot.Went there a long time ago now and still remember the local crazy ski school owner called Ziggy Muller. On the first day of ski school he used to arrange an ambalance (however you spell it) to be waiting at the bottom of the slope into Tennis Prem so that people who were not as good as they thought had transport waiting. I used to stay at Pension Pernbacker run by the local cross country ski champion ( a lady of advancing years)

Food and beer was reasonable and you could get over to other resorts very easily.

We went over to Kitzbuhl for the local downhill which I had entered as a result of too much beer and wine. Finished last surprise surprise the Mousefaller is a lot steeped in the flesh than it looks on Ski Sunday. I have been wearing brown ski suits ever since.
snow report
Juno 23, Thanks for that - excellent first post and Welcome to snowHead 's. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy