Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Advice - Which one from this list...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Fairly new poster to snowheads, but been a ski fanatic for a looooong time!

I know there can be a big difference in how each ski performs and that a different ski will suit different individuals, but I have no idea which one i should choose to suit me Puzzled !?

I like to ski all over the mountain, spending most of my time on piste. I want a ski that is a good responsive carving ski primarily, but i would like not to be hung out to dry if i have a little foray into the powder after a good dumping (fingers crossed snowHead !)! I also don't want a ski that only works well at very high speed as i don't always ski like a bat out of hell...

I also like to do some jumps, either on features of the terrain or in the park (if i can bear to be humiliated by park rats for being rubbish!), and i like the idea of twin tips as a) i'll look far better than i am in the lift line Toofy Grin and b) i'd quite like to try and bring some switch skiing in to tricks Shocked . However, first and foremost i'd like to have a nice responsive ski for going forwards, that's my main priority.

the ski's i can go for are as follows

K2 fugitives
K2 Public enemy
Volkl Wall
Dynastar contact 8
Salomon Scrambler 7
Salomon Aero GT
Rossignol Radical R 8S Oversize
Rossignol Radical R 8X Oversize

Salomon Aero RT
Salomon scrambler 5

Any info, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't get Fugitives - they are cack outside of the park (IMHO). Far too soft, and just generally not fun to ski.

Quote:
I also like to do some jumps, either on features of the terrain or in the park (if i can bear to be humiliated by park rats for being rubbish!)

We all have to start somewhere. Unless you're being an absolute tard (being dangerous and/or impolite) people never really mind that you're not that good. Unless they're *&^%s Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why not add the K2 crossfire to your list - they are not twin tip but do have a small lip on the tail and will match the rest of your criteria - am considering some of these but will first demo in Jan
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just bought some K2 Apache Crossfires and I'm heading out to Wengen in 3 weeks time. I'll try and remember to report back how they are off-piste.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know about the new crossfires, but my 3 season old ones aren't that hot off piste, they're more a piste ski, and you certainly don't want to take them into the park, though I've used mine on the pipe a few times they're just a bit to stiff. the Xplorers would be better all round and a bit flexier, but again not really park.

have a look at the Extremes, scott punishers and prohpet 90, 4frt msps
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Movement do a nice range which could well fit the bill.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From what information you given I'd say look at the

Scott Punishers (Graphic not as good as last years IMHO but still modeled on the award winning Mission)
Salomon Lord (Apparently a good all round ski, I haven't skied it myself but have heard good reviews)
Line Prophet 90
K2 Kung Fujas (bit more Freestyle oriented, softer than you might think of going but probably between the Extreme and Fujative)

All these skis have a waist that you probably won't have considered due to being too wide, but skis are heading that way these days and in my opinion it doesn't take that long to get used to.

Apologies to papasmurf, who also suggest the Punishers and Prophet 90
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DrE, Volkl Wall. How much you weigh? How much you measure upwards?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:
DrE, Volkl Wall. How much you weigh? How much you measure upwards?
parlor, , I weigh about 200lbs, height 6' 4". Been reading some reviews (on the ones i can find) and been leaning towards volkl wall and K2 Public enemy, or maybe the rossi radical oversize (but they seem to be more designed for high speed is that right?).

The thing that worries me slightly about the Volkl Wall and the K2 Public enemy is that they are far fatter underfoot than anything i've skied before at 87 and 85 respectively, which i'm sure will be amazing for powder (if i'm lucky enough to get any) but not so sure how they'll work on piste, or how different they are to ski on piste than the standard 72ish underfoot that i'm used to?

buckers, you mentioned this point but seemed to think a fatter ski underfoot would be ok to get used to/ski on piste, everyone agree? anyone had any problems going to something fatter undrfoot?

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions by the way! i do unfortunately need to just stick to those on the list though as that's the ones i have the choice from.

cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrE... i went to skiing fatter skis last season. Do it, you won't look back.

How come that's all you've got to chose from? From that list i'd be going towards the Public Enemy, although it's not been called that for over a season now. Last year they were the PE, this year they are the Extreme but with a different top sheet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly, I was a lucky beggar and won some skis Laughing !! and this is what i've got to choose from..

how long did it take you to get used to the fatter skis? what is the main difference you found? i'm imagining it's harder to tip them to carve cleanly but i don't really know not having skied them. I'm quite excited to give them a bash though even if i do start off with a few face plants snowHead !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
might want to check with who evers suppling the skis, as they don't make the PEs any more..or at least they re branded them the Extremes...though I wonder if maybe the PEs might be a bit short at 179 for 6"4 and 200lbs..which is why i discounted them..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrE, I went from 94mm (my old everyday ski) to 130mm and it took half a run to adjust. Seriously. Now, my everyday skis are 112mm underfoot, I only use skinnier skis now to tour on. For powder I use 130mm.

Mrs P has some PEs and loves them, she was talking to Canadian dude on the lift on Sunday (biggish guy), they were both gushing how great they are for ALL conditions. A true all mountain ski.

At your size though get the Wall, it's stiffer. And get it longer than you think you need. Mrs P is 5'5" and <50kg she skis the PE in 165cm (164cm?)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
I do unfortunately need to just stick to those on the list though as that's the ones i have the choice from.

In that case I say go with the Volkl Walls.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers guys, makes me feel a bit more confident about going for something fatter underfoot! So it's definitiely either the Volkl Wall's or the K2 PE's - thinking the Volkl's. Can't wait to get out there with them snowHead !
snow conditions
DrE, as parlor says, it takes hardly any time at all to adjust and all of a sudden you'll find you're more stable as well. The only thing i'd say is it takes marginally more time to initiate the next turn but this is only apparent when churning out lots of quick short turns and high speed. If you're a racer then this might matter, but for generally faffing about on a big white hill - which, in all honesty is what most of us do - then you'll notice bug all difference.

enjoy your new found freedom on the wider planks. Very Happy

if you're looking at the Wall, there's some pretty handy videos on the Volkl website that tell you more about each ski.

http://www.volkl.com/ski/skis/FR7.php
latest report
cheers for the advice shoogly, excellent link too!

on the website they have a little graph saying who it's suitable for - i'd consider myself more of an intermediate/advanced than advanced/expert but i'm hoping i'll still be able to master them...

bring on the mountain Twisted Evil !
snow conditions
Bought a pair of 2008 PEs this summer and took them up to the glacier in Tignes in October. Obviously didn't get to test them in the pow but they were pretty handy on piste. Turned well and didn't seem as heavy as people suggest. Had Scramblers before and really wasn't keen on them.
ski holidays
I would say the PE's
I own a pair of 07 PE and love them. great all over the mountain, I rarely go into the park, but they are great for jumps and crap around the resort.

I haven't skied any of the other skis in the list though.
snow report
I was in a similar situation, looking at a similar list of skis,

After much research I opted for the '08 PE's , although I haven't used them yet (only 6 weeks to go!)

I found a pretty good price here -

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=kategorie&kat_id=40&art1=70005232
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy