Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this the best start to the European Ski Season Ever?

Poster: A snowHead
We skied Verbier yesterday and it was sweet. You can see a video of me skiing the powder in the trees at http://www.chamberyflights.co.uk/blog/weather-snow-conditions/the-best-start-european-ski-season-ever/ . My first day on the hill this year was November 8th in Cervinia and the conditions were also incredible. And this morning I woke up to 20cm of snow in Chamonix town. Laughing

All this snow has got me wondering whether 2008 is the best start to the European ski season ever...

Last year the early season snow was pretty good too and I remember skiing Montgenevre mid-November in 2000 but for me this the best start to a season yet and I am a veteran of 9 seasons.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's global warming and PC gone mad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Powder Monkey, looks good. We're getting good snow here now as well. Off to the hills on Thursday I think Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Powder Monkey, Nice video, the pow looked excellent. For me last season's start was better, because I got to ski powder in mid November, at the moment stuck in the office. Here's some pics, from Nov 2007 http://waynos.co.uk/Noah/PicGen.asp?DayNumber=471 But so far looking like a good start.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Powder Monkey, Don't speak to soon, the Hairdryer is forecast for the w/end Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stupid good here! As Powder Monkey says, yesterday was awesome. And another 30cm last night in the village, right down to 600m in the valley!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27, boo and hiss to the evil foehn. Still, to have had three consecutive weekends of powder in November is pretty incredible in my book.
waynos, great photos. Looks like you had it pretty good last year. I'll have to presuade my photographer firend who was out with us to part with some of his shots to see how they compare.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Powder Monkey, would agree with waynos, on this one. Last season (certainly for Austria) would be hard to beat
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NO

You obviously have not been skiing/boarding very long.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shocked stanton, Would love to hear about your experiences.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1987 was a good early year Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah. My limited experience of seasons only dates back to '97. Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last year still beats this for me although 60cm of powder at the Stubai Glacier the first weekend in October was something special
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1992/93 was the best by a mile...I think statistcs would proove this. It was a weird season as it snow from early October very hard and by the end of the month there was top to bottom skiing in Tignes and the Espace Killy link was fully open at 1st weekend in November. BY mid november there was a 170cm base in resort in Tignes and 320cm at 3000m. Unfortunately there was too much snow and 7 people died in Val Thorens in late November as an avalanche came down and hit innocent piste skiers. Only 140 day tickets were sold that day as it was terrible weather. Resort should never have opened. My group of 60 all came back...was horrible.

There was enough snow that year to last the whole season with that huge base so early... In fact it was then quite a lean winter. It all came early !

This is a lovely start though for sure.

Alex
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, but this is an interesting piece on the Swiss perspective on it

www.swissinfo.org/eng/front/Snowstorms_leave_some_ski_areas_scrambling.html?siteSect=105&sid=10007634&cKey=1227538750000&ty=st
snow report
It depends where you look.......we will return to this post in mid-december, the normal "start" of the season, then we will compare, but in the pyrenees now is really crazy..... I don't know if it's the best start ever, but the best in the 20 last years maybe
ski holidays
I'm not going until March 2009! I hope this lovely white stuff hangs around until then...
snow report
Quote:

All this snow has got me wondering whether 2008 is the best start to the European ski season ever...

that's a judgement you can only make once the season has started - at Christmas, say. Premature triumphalism will only encourage the malign spirits of the Foehn to stir from their North African sandhills and set out in search of their favourite food.

Shh.....

But those early days must have been great fun!
snow report
The low pressure system in Biscay this weekend could give the Pyrenees a LOT more snow.

No signs of Alpine Foehn that I can see at the moment. The isobars are much too far apart meaning any southerly winds will be very light and won't raise valley temps. Some significant snowfalls likely for the Alps again, this coming weekend.
latest report
Quote:

No signs of Alpine Foehn that I can see at the moment.

Hmm. See the weather outlook thread. Things can change very fast and it's a month to Christmas.... I'm out on 20 December and as keen as anybody for good early conditions. But it's still too early to get too excited, just as it would be too early to get cast down if the fields were still green. If the Christmas conditions are anything like as good as they were last year (when I was in Hampshire and friends were at our apartment having a ball) I'll be thrilled to bits though.
latest report
 brian
brian
bar shaker, that's a Foehn over W Austria on this chart, no ?

snow report
Europe is not only the Alps,....if we analyze the whole continent, maybe, is the best in 50 or 60 years.

Escandinavian Alps and Pyrenées (and other northern ranges in Spain) are being buried under snow, and the alps are in a very good shape too.
latest report
 brian
brian
I think it's fair to say that things are going pretty nicely in Switzerland so far (% of long term mean values):

snow report
I shan't let the doom sayers dampen my mood. I am having the best November yet and here's why. Thanks to Chris Disabato for taking these shots of us in Verbier on Sunday.

snow report
brian wrote:
I think it's fair to say that things are going pretty nicely in Switzerland so far (% of long term mean values):

Looks like Switzerland is the new Iceland.
ski holidays
It was an epic storm over the past few days.

Overall, it looks like roughly 30 - 150cm was puked in France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany and Austria.
snow conditions
brian, Sunday is a long way off in weather forecasting wink

Besides, if that low does track through, it will bring southerly winds for one day and they will be full of moisture... putting down even more snow at piste levels.
ski holidays
hello!

I'm off to Alps on Dec 13th but havent booked it yet, we're booking on Friday/Saturday
There is a group of us and our short list now is Paradiski or Three Valleys - but where is that snow going to fall?!?!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lauralime wrote:
but where is that snow going to fall?!?!

Good news for you. It has snowed across the French Alps, so it really doesn't matter. For your shortlist, they're rather close and I expect they get similar snowfall.
snow report
lauralime, it's everywhere. Most major resorts already have some cover - Val T has 65cm at resort level (2300m) and nearly a metre at 3200m. The website is www.valthorens.com/winter-en if you want to look at webcams etc. The 3V seems to have had a pretty good cover recently - www.les3vallees.com/en.

Paradiski has had a bucketload seemingly - the webcams on www.la-plagne.com are showing a lot of snow.

Tignes/Val D'Isere have also had a massive amount in the pst few days, with more to come this weekend.

Either way i think most would agree both choices are pretty safe bets
snow report
Quote:

Val T has 65cm at resort level (2300m)

Les Saisies has 85cm at 2000m. We usually get more than the Tarentaise. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

what, all the moneys gone ? Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty wrote:
Quote:

what, all the moneys gone ? Very Happy

wink
ski holidays
anyone know if Flaine has 360cm snow?
ski holidays
It seems that Les Contamines is opening limited runs this coming weekend (only accessible from the Les Contamines side, not from Belleville).
latest report
pam w, is right, they are opening up to signal and across to tierces sector. Limited, but much earlier than scheduled.
snow report
but I'm going to Sutton Coldfield.....
latest report
pam w, can't be much worse than Milton Keynes (not xscape)
ski holidays
The latest dump of snow is adding weight to my argument that this is, if not THE best start to the European ski season, it is certainly up there. Skied thigh deep powder int Courmayeur on Saturday. Face shot tastic!

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy