Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves? mittens? which is best? only one way to find out............

Poster: A snowHead
whats the best type of glove or mitten you can buy? Please consider price, the stupidy expensive ones are not always the best. i'm in need of a new pair as the pair i have are ripped up... mostly due to having to carry the wifes skiis and poles, as well as my own! not easy when you're trying to jump on a bus!

Anywhoo...... i have(had) a pair of trespass gloves with removable inners which came out on the first day cos they were so damn hot! i quite liked them but am now struggling to find another pair the same.

Any thoughts on the wind stopper type gloves, will they get wet after a couple of falls?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like mittens personally. They can be much warmer without having to be super thick. The only problem is the obvious one where you have to take them off to do anything other than hold poles/lifts. Although I have become quite dextrous at getting stuff out of pockets and using the camera with my mitts on! Mine have wrist straps so I can take them off and leave them dangling rather than have to carry them about...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personal preference really.Most men seem to prefer gloves,whilst mittens seem more favoured by women....and boarders wink As to quality...now that is a minefield.I've used all sorts over the years,and cant honestly say that one was significantly better than another.Most ski specific gloves are OK for European use.My current pair are from Decathlon(Novadry)and are excellent....and were £19 Toofy Grin You could get a pair of Spyders if you wish(£80?)but you might cry if you lose them.Go for a good,comfortable fit,waterproof and breathable(as in Novadry or Goretex)and avoid the cheap,bulky types at yer local market.Price.....not the best guide IMHO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
£19 for gloves !!! Mine were £3 from Peacocks, although I do have an edditional thick fleece inner for when it's really cold (£1.50 from Aldi)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So when will someone spend a day on a mountain wearing one mitten on the left and a glove on the right, maybe reversing them for the opposite pair at lunchtime for a balanced report?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, let us know how you get on wink

queen bodecia,
Quote:

The only problem is the obvious one where you have to take them off to do anything other than hold poles/lifts. Although I have become quite dextrous at getting stuff out of pockets and using the camera with my mitts on!

Well I have to take gloves off for everything bar holding poles so you are doing well! I have just convinced my 9 yr old to try mitts as he gets cold and hand warmers will fit better I think, if needed. I think he was finally persuaded that they can be cool after seeing a couple of instructor friends wearing them rolling eyes
The proof of the pudding will be in the eating but they look like pretty good mitts, Surfanic (camo of course)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well one habit I realised I did which was doing nothing for the life expectancy of my gloves, was when carrying skis upright, I'd hold my fingers onto the sharpened metal edges rather than the nice flat unsharp topside of the ski rolling eyes rolling eyes Now I've started doing that I've found gloves last longer than a few weeks Toofy Grin

Anyway, I'm a gloves person, with removable inners for those cold/hot days. My current ones are Salomons and they've been just fine - I seem to remember they were at the expensive-ish end of their range.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got to admit I don't see the appeal of mitts, surely there're just a pain in the ass every time you want to take a quick photo, or adjust your hat or goggles, or getting your map out... you get my point!

I see the appeal for kids and for wanting to slide hand warmers in too, maybe thats a gender thing? Toofy Grin
I dont need gloves for warmth too much as once I'm going I get quite hot, some days if the sun is out the gloves go in the bag!! They must be fitted well can't stand gloves that slip and you have to keep adjusting.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mart8235 wrote:
Got to admit I don't see the appeal of mitts, surely there're just a pain in the ass every time you want to take a quick photo, or adjust your hat or goggles, or getting your map out... you get my point!

I see the appeal for kids and for wanting to slide hand warmers in too, maybe thats a gender thing? Toofy Grin
I dont need gloves for warmth too much as once I'm going I get quite hot, some days if the sun is out the gloves go in the bag!! They must be fitted well can't stand gloves that slip and you have to keep adjusting.

I ski in my gloves, I board in my mitts with wrist potectors underneath...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FIGHT Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mart8235 wrote:
if the sun is out the gloves go in the bag!!
Shocked
I was taught that gloves were for protection as well as to keep you hands warm. I also wear a helmet rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love my mitts some xtremeties ones I got in the sale last year and they are gorgeous and cosy they also have inner wrist dangly loop things to stop me from loosing them, and if you wear gloves as liners underneath you have the best of both worlds IMHO
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lechbob, So was I, but I'm with mart8235 - if it's too hot, they go in the bag, I'm afraid. I don't remember anyone coming close to skiing over my fingers. Embarassed

I'll probably get my fingers sliced off by someone skiing over them now. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'll probably get my fingers sliced off by someone skiing over them now.

HA ha ha.... me too!!! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think that the number of seams on gloves just eads to them wearing out too quickly, whereas with mitts they seem to stay drier for longer and therefore warmer. Nike ACG mitts - got some from TK Maxx for £20 and they're brill. My missus wears the Dakine ones designed for kids and says they're 10 times better than her old Reusch gloves that cost twice as much.
snow report
Best of both worlds, pricey though. Hestra three fingers.
ski holidays
TheDT's wrote:
Best of both worlds, pricey though. Hestra three fingers.

Or Endura Lobster. Made for biking but work perfectly well for skiing too. £30 and very warm.

I tend to go with just Gore Windstopper gloves in spring. Hands get too hot otherwise.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy