Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowboard size

Poster: A snowHead
I need your help again. My son is 6'1 has size 9.5 feet and has used rental boards since he started boarding 4 seasons ago. This will be his sixth trip coming up. I've purchased a second hand Palmer Honeypro board for him, this board is 157 in length which I was told was a little on the short side but would help him with his turns. The board seems fairly narrow and is 24cm wide which I now find out is indeed on the narrow side most boards are 25/26cm I'm told. My concern is that his feet will be too big and stick over the side too much,what is the rule here? should I sell it on and get him a standard board?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyjc, take alook at this it should help
http://www.boardsnmotion.com/snowsizingcharts.aspx
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get risers that allow narrower boards to be used with larger feet, But unless hes super skinny that does sound mighty short.

Tux
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyjc, he's probably pretty good by now. How old is he? I've found that boys that big generally have a fair idea of what skis/board/skateboard/mobile phone they want, even if they're wrong. wink He'll have firm ideas about bindings, too, I suspect. It depends partly on what kind of boarding he's doing (piste, off piste, park, fast downhill, etc). Even though I'm a beginner I'm glad I followed the recommendation to buy a longer board than I'd been using - for added stability - it was much easier, even for a beginner, and I'll bet your lad has cracked turning by now. If you're not a boarder yourself it's probably easy for some unscrupulous seller to take you for a ride.

You certainly don't want too much foot overhang. Does he have his own boots yet? If not, that might be the best thing for him to buy first.

Someone more knowledgeable will probably be along soon; snowboarders sleep late on Sundays. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyjc, It could be a little on the narrow size, dependent on the size of his boot shell and his stance. Smaller boot dimensions like the Salomon∫f series and 32s will be ok as will an alpine stance or a wide 'duck' stance. 10mm risers will also fix. Length is more important in defining where you want to ride. It's probably too small to be much use in deep, soft powder, but everywhere else It'll be a quick turning tool and lots of fun.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He's 14 and weighs just over eleven stone. I don't want his learning curve to be hindered by ill fitting gear. we still need to get some boots,probably should have got these first. I ski so I'm still trying to learn about boarding equipment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I ski so I'm still trying to learn about boarding equipment.

you could join him.... snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I could but I think I'm a bit too old to be making the change! the learning process is a painful one, i'm told! my mate tried it a couple of years ago and he gave up after one day and he scoffed all his ibruprofen.
So if I sold this board what could I get for it? roughly?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyjc, you can't possibly be as old as pam w. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyjc, and you're certainly not as old as me Embarassed 11 stone is not going to overpower a 157 even at his height . . unless he's really aggressive. Boots and bindings, then if the board's not right, stick it on feaBay.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, No he's not ultra aggresive. I just don't want him to be handicapped by the wrong fitting equipment. I'll take him to get some boots asap and take the board with me,see what the fitter thinks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At around 70kg, a 157 should be perfect.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker, I'm more concerned about the width of the board.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oops, yes, sorry I missed that bit.

If he is using a Salomon boot, he should be OK. A boot with removable liners may just be too big.

Have you fixed his boots in and seen what the back foot looks like?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyjc, Burton "Elevators" will do the trick for the overhanging toes and heels. I have the same problem (big feet / narrow board) and they sorted the unexplained 'exits' at high lean angles.......
latest report
bar shaker, I've done it all a**e about face. Got his board coz a friend of a friend knew someone who had a good board for sale, then just got him some bindings from e-depot, now I'm gonna take him tomget some boots. My mistake was that I thought boards were all the same width, this one being 24cm at the waste and when I asked him to stand on it in his trainers (duck) it seemed a bit narrow. I don't know what the overhang limit is but 'm sure the guy in the boot shop will know,so i'll take his board with us when we go.
snow conditions
Sorry to hijack, but rather than start another...

6'1", 90kg or thereabouts, UK 10 boots.

162 ish for me?

(Apologies for the mix of metric and imperial. Isn't being British great.)
ski holidays
andyjc, you might be ok, my trainers are physically bigger than my boots probably down to my boots fitting my feet and my trainers being sloppy skate shoes.

The main problem I've had with binding overhang is stopping when you've fallen on steep or icy slopes: it's really hard to engage the heel edge enough to do anything other than give yourself a bath in scraped up snow Shocked

paulio, yeah for an all mountain board, shorter for park longer for big mountain. If the later don't be afraid to go too long I'm fairly similar to you size wise and ride a 164 but wish I'd gone a bit longer OTOH I've been looking for a 151 or something for just park use.
ski holidays
Pistes only for me for now and not interested in park stuff. I'll try 162 at first then, cheers.
latest report
andyjc,
**Edit** Sizing chart based on US foot sizes and normal boots
Looks like it will be too narrow.

Paulio, this lad is 20kg lighter than you which is what made me think 157 would be OK for him.
snow conditions
I'd be amazed if a Honeypro is actually a 240mm waist. That's really, really small.

Are you measuring across the top or across the base?

With UK 9.5 feet, you don't need a wide board, but equally you don't want something too narrow. I'd be looking at a minimum waist width of around 256mm.

Don't try to polish a turd with Elevators or Power Plates, really bad idea. They're great for carving, but really mess up board feel and flex. Just get a board with the right waist width in the first place.
snow conditions
stevomcd, I found the tec details of the board on the net it's 24.7cm wide. 2004 version of the board. Hopefully we will get him some boots this weekend,but i don't think it's looking good, so probably ebay next week.
snow conditions
andyjc, For the last 8 years I have ridden a Donek Incline which is pretty narrow - current spec is 24.1.
I have size 8 feet (I know smaller than your son) and have had no problems with overhang - my currect setup is -3 on my back foot and that still doesn't cause any problems.
I have used medium size bindings (Burton and Drake). Which size bindings did you buy in the end?
ski holidays
One further comment - it's a 160 and it still struggles in powder compared to other slightly wider boards i have used.
snow conditions
Jagerbull, I got him some Ride Ex in a Large.
ski holidays
With my current medium bindings the front of the bindings is right on the toe edge.
Obviously the front of the bindings can always be on the toe edge - but I have made sure any front/rear overhang is the same.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy