Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Samoens - Dieppe, what's it like going through Paris?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been doing some google map and hotel work.
Distances:
Samoens - Dunkirke (reference): 883km
Samoens - Dieppe via Paris: 792km
Sameons - Dieppe non Paris: 885 km

So going through the edge of Paris saves 90k (about 55 miles).

Current plan is to leave Samoens at 5pm on Saturday, drive for about 5 hours. Stop at hotel. On Sunday set off at about 9am, so travelling through Paris at about 10am on a Sunday.
I'm guessing that that would not be a big problem.

Just wondering if anyone had done it. Other option is to take the classic autoroute route and peel off for Dieppe at Arras. That adds the extra distance but skips Paris.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomstickland, I drove round the peripherique on a Sunday morning a few years ago and it was fine, I've also done it at 6 on a Friday evening and it was hell, you should be fine. You can also take "outer" roads to get around Paris I've done that too although the only time I tried to drive from Normandy to the east of Paris I got lost and ended up taking the peripherique anyway, that was before I had a satnav though. You will probably save on tolls too as there is a large area around Paris that is free.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomstickland, Paris on a Sunday morning is fine, just be aware that the road numbers change with alarming frequency - just head for a destination and you'll be fine. Just out of interest is there a reason you didn't use the tunnel with Tesco discounts? I drive to Samoens several times a year either using the tunnel or Dunkerque, never used Dieppe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't go to Dieppe either. If you do the peripherique, get a clear idea in your head of which way round you want to go, and how it works, before you hit it. I didn't, and being suddenly faced with a great barrage of signs, none of which said quite what I'd expected, I chose a direction more or less at random because with everything moving so fast around me, and everyone else knowing where they were going, it was no place to dither. I ended going three-quarters of the way round instead of a quarter. Embarassed That was about 11 pm one night and it was very, very, busy. Loads of trucks full of flapping live ducks. Poor things; it was freezing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I looked at various ferry/tunnel options and the cheapest method was to book each ferry crossing seperately. I'm doing Dover-Dunkirke on the way out. I quite fancied Dieppe because I've not been there before, being nosey and all that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In the summer i had to drive back through Paris after a holiday in Spain as my daughters had chickenpox.

I was on my own on the way back hit the peripherique at around 7.30 on a Monday morning.

I was going to park up until about ten am but just wanted to get home asap, so i just went for it.

Anyhoo, with my Satnav it was fine, no queues, very busy and admittedly would be confusing without Satnav but traffic flowed continually.

Wouldnt think twice about doing it again.

Wish my wife would let me drive to the GRAND MASSIF but as we live in Wirral the extra time this side makes it a non starter.

You will love it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I drove down twice last year. It's my prefered method.
TBH, with booking a hotel this time I'm a bit sad to be missing the optimum travelling hours (midnight to 04am).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom, didn't know you frequented this place snowHead question is are you more maaaaad about skiing or the Nurburgring?!?!?!?

Have good trip.....previous experience suggests steer clear of the Peri but it was a long time back, tend to hop over on the tunnel then usual Riems/Troyes/Dijon/Cluses route.

Cheers
David aka S2Driveruk (also skiing maaaaaaad Twisted Evil )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy