Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V Snow 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
yeah telemarking this week to have fun... a few beginners with us so i thought i would ski with them and start over... two days in and managed to start skiing blues. Toofy Grin one monster crash yesterday, when it goes wrong on teles it really goes wrong.

light snow last night and beautiful conditions on all the mottaret runs. bit warmer today aftera bitter first day yesterday.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beautiful weather today, pistes in beautiful shape, and it was actually strangely quiet until about 10:30. Skied Jerusalem down to St Martin and didn't see another person! Didn't queue for more than about 2 minutes all day, and apart from St Martin, passed through Meribel, Mottaret, Courchevel 1650, Courchevel 1850. Saw some crowds around ski-school meeting times, but otherwise much quieter than New Year week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Patch wrote:
Didn't queue for more than about 2 minutes all day, and apart from St Martin, passed through Meribel, Mottaret, Courchevel 1650, Courchevel 1850.

That's pretty amazing for the busiest Sunday of the season! Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
agree with patch busiest i saw was post ski school pickup in meribel and top 1 minute wait in the chaudanne...great grippy snow and mount vallon had some nice fluffy pow still on the sides. .. other than screamin quads a great day!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another beautiful day, outstanding snow conditions both on and off piste, although most off-piste is now well-skied. Only queued once today, at Pas de Lac, about 10 mins max, but other that that, not too crowded at all. Saulire couloirs are in great shape - Grand Couloir is open (though I didn't ski it), but sous-pylones (under the Courch cable car) and Tournier (on the Meribel side) in good condition. Weather is due to cloud over tomorrow apparently.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fantastic snow conditions again today, with flurries of light snow throughout the day, and total cloud cover. It has just started snowing again now. Once again, very few queues today. Although I am avoiding bottlenecks and peak times, I didn't queue for more than a few minutes today.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today, brilliant sunshine all day, couple inches fresh powder, very little queueing, conditions fantastic, all runs open, all lifts open (except the "Table" chair in Mottaret, 'cos the motors f***ed), but despite all that, it was a great day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, skimottaret, Patch, When I was there, very quiet week in early Jan the Roc de 3 Marches (I think) coming back from Menuires to Meribel always had a 5-10 minute queue from about 2.00pm onwards. I guess the secret is to avoid it at that time - why did never manage that... rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all, for keeping us up to date with this weeks conditions ! Cant wait now for Saturday, Manchester - Geneva - Meribel... Should b a great week Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Same as yesterday !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with all the above...it's been an awesome week...great conditions on & off piste, any queues can be easily avoided, nice top up mid-week, and cold, cold temps keeping everything in tip-top shape...

All we need now is 30cm on Sunday then more blue skies for next week...!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
offpisteskiing, have you got any pics for us to enjoy? I will be gracing the Tarentaise again with my presence soon enough, can't wait actually wink Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a few queues today... seemed to be the busiest day of the week so far and got hit twice with 10 minute waits. mt vallon had zero lines but meribel and mottaret had a few big ones today. starting to get a bit scrapey lower down on a few runs but some cracking bump lines are forming everywhere on the sides, had some very sweet snow in les menuires
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, oooh. Are you there just for half term or longer? Hows the telemarking?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5, coming home sunday.. but had a great week.

had first tracks off of the combe de la saulire and the snow was very cold and crisp fantastic hooning to be had all day today, warmed up in the afternoon and the snow held up real well . Tele was fun but only did d couple half days with some beginner boarders. managed a couple of easy reds though so wasnt too difficult to pick up. defo need a few lessons though.
snow report
skimottaret, lovely. Are you out again in March?
ski holidays
Temperatures are a little warmer today, and I saw the first signs of slush in several weeks. However, all runs are open, and even "Villages" down to Les Allues is in excellent condition. Pistes and lifts were very quiet today, and I didn't queue for a single lift all day. Off-piste, which has been pretty chopped up for a few days now is beginning to get crunchy, although there is still some untracked "velvet" higher up. A little more snow is forecast for tomorrow afternoon.
latest report
Super-quiet going up through Courchevel this morning, definitely warm in the sun (finally), still some soft snow to be found as long as you look for the shady bits... Nice tour today through the Col du Biol over to Pralognan, with 600m of great powder in the Couloir des Chamois..

More pics at http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com...

Forecast is for some light snow Sunday night/Monday morning, then clearing for the rest of the week, so should be good for anyone heading this way shortly...
snow conditions
Light snow for most of the day today down to at least 600m, but quite wet, even above 2000m. Busier than yesterday, but queues still very short. Just starting to brighten up a little, late afternoon.
latest report
Some more light snow today, maybe as much as 2 or 3 inches on the Saulire. Very poor visibility for most of the day.
ski holidays
The fantastic conditions have continued over the last few days, but it's been very warm and the lower runs are now starting to get quiet slushy. All runs seem to be open, and all lifts are running (except Pramereul in Courchevel, broken). Skied in St Martin, Les Menuires, Meribel, Mottaret, Courchevels 1650 and 1850 today, and apart from a few stoney pistes and the aforementioned slush, the skiing on-piste is fantastic. Off-piste, however, is getting a bit heavy now.
ski holidays
Patch, we need some colder conditions and some more snow then Very Happy
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Yes, that's exactly what we need. Temperatures were very cold until the beginning of the week, but since then it's been much warmer, and the snow is melting quiet quickly at the moment. Also, although the avalanche risk is at 2, I've seen quiet a few over the last few days, including a large one under the Col du Fruit on the popular itinerary down to Plan de Tueda.
ski holidays
Looked at the six day weather report. Expecting 26cm on Wednesday and 10cm on Thursday. Fingers crossed as I've only got 7 more sleeps!!!
snow report
HH, great news, thanks.
snow conditions
Just got back after a great week of mainly blue skies and warm weather. It was positively hot yesterday in 1650 and that has hit the lower runs. The snow forecast next week will make a big difference and keep the pistes going for the rest of the season. Runs like Creux and Suisse still in good nick and with it being quieter now the school holidays have finished the snow should not get as much traffic
snow report
Returned Saturday 28th (Meribel) Excellent week ! Sun / Mon, low viz, light snow. Tues, weds, thurs, fri, clear blue sky, 9 degrees and red hot ! ( became a touch slushy lower down) Sad its over for another year Crying or Very sad however wont miss the 3Vs rip off prices Mad 8 euros a pint, 14 euros for a portion of jockeys wips and a burger.

snow report
thin gs here in courch just get better and better. 20cm of light powder to ski in 2 days ago, a bit more last night and now absolutely dumping as it has been all afternoon with it already having put down at least 5cm. Tomorrow is meant to be clearer should be a seriously epic powder day.looking good for rest of season
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yesterday - bright sunshine all day, very warm - pistes in good shape, althogh soft on lower runs and slushy in the afternoon. Off-piste very, very heavy
latest report
It was hot and sunny in Courchevel. Pistes crisp early in the morning, but softening to very nice as the day goes on. Not too soft late in the day though from the couple of runs I did after 4pm. Off piste was like porridge if you got the timing wrong, with a very high water content. Extremely hard going. Bloody glad I waxed my skis a couple of days ago otherwise the walk out of one route we did would have been murder.

A few photos now, and a blog report later in the week when I've got a bit more time and energy.

Bit of navigation work

Thinking about how to lead groups off piste

The long walk to freedom
ski holidays
Les Avals?... a long walk out but the canyons are nice Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Les Avals?... a long walk out but the canyons are nice Toofy Grin

Yes. The walk was OK, it was the long uphill skate along the x-country track that I thought was a bit unnecessary!
ski holidays
rob@rar, ahhh looked familiar, get use to that one.... NehNeh NehNeh but dont whatever you do take the wrong XC path on the left back up.. several Km later we figured out our mistake and the guide was enjoying his smoke waiting for us...

who is your guide Roy?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, ahhh looked familiar, get use to that one.... NehNeh NehNeh but dont whatever you do take the wrong XC path on the left back up.. several Km later we figured out our mistake and the guide was enjoying his smoke waiting for us...

who is your guide Roy?

No, we have Alison Culshaw (BASS, Chamonix) for the first part of the week, then we have Alistair somebody, but known by his nickname of Cube, for the assessment.

We took the right hand xc path, but I was hoping it would be downhill not uphill Sad
ski holidays
rob@rar, sounds like you have great snow and good conditions, enjoy the skiing and the sweating/weight loss after skinning up Petit Mount Blanc Razz Razz
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
... and the sweating/weight loss after skinning up Petit Mount Blanc Razz Razz

Yeah, that's the bit I'm really looking forward to wink
snow report
Weather was much the same today: warm and sunny. Not sure how the pistes are doing generally, but the return to C1650 down the main blue piste seemed very pleasant. Off piste needs to be timed carefully to get reasonable conditions, which too often we didn't have today. Some photos:

Lunch at Col du Fruit

Blindfold transceiver practice. Mucho fun!

Spent the afternoon looking for buried rucksacks with transceivers in them. My best time was 1m40s, which included 40s of skiing to the 'avalanche site'. Thank God I've got a Pulse!

Petit Mt Blanc tomorrow. I'm scared already...
ski holidays
which side of the col did you ski down? That is my favourite run of all time, got face shots all the way down on the courch side and when we did the mottaret side it was absolutely stunning with chamois running along the bottom near the creek.

blind transceiver searching is a good idea... Cool
latest report
skimottaret, the north side, to Courchevel. The snow on the south side was way too soft when we got there.
ski holidays
Col de fruit down to Mottaret is probably my favorite in the 3V too, gorgeous ridge approach which feels wild but isn't dangerous, then big wide slope under towering cliffs and a bit of scratting about in the forest before a panachee serieux at the XC track restaurant near mottaret....magic! I'll be there in 3 wks Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy