Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3V Snow 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
red 27 wrote:
bart_bdv, you are Hercule Poirot and I claim my 5€

Hehe sorry I don't completely understand. I'm a Belgian yes, but why do you claim €5?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Boywonder is in VT all of this week. No skiing today as lifts closed. I'll get it straight from the horses mouth tomorrow exactly what conditions are like.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ignore me bart, a silly english joke... newspapers used to run a competition in summer with a £5 prize the the reader who could identify their staff repoerter on a busy seaside resort promeande by approaching him and say "you are whatever-his-name-was and I claim my £5"

Back on topic, do you think "disaster" might be a little too strong a word to describe a windy day in Val Thorens? Please thank your friend for her lovely description of the branches falling on the wooded runs - most poetic! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
Ignore me bart, a silly english joke... newspapers used to run a competition in summer with a £5 prize the the reader who could identify their staff repoerter on a busy seaside resort promeande by approaching him and say "you are whatever-his-name-was and I claim my £5"

Back on topic, do you think "disaster" might be a little too strong a word to describe a windy day in Val Thorens? Please thank your friend for her lovely description of the branches falling on the wooded runs - most poetic! snowHead

Well if one day you have beautiful slopes full of powder and the next it is all blown away (off piste at least), the word disaster immediately comes to my mind. Maybe a bit too drastic, skiing will still be possible without problem, but it still feels like a shame...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bart_bdv, Yes I see what you mean - a disaster for your friend hoping for more off-piste, not a big deal for piste-skiers like me who go over there in 4 weeks time! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Yes I see what you mean - a disaster for your friend hoping for more off-piste, not a big deal for piste-skiers like me who go over there in 4 weeks time!

I'd be more worried about the hairdryer developing in the next few weeks if I was you. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
bart_bdv, Yes I see what you mean - a disaster for your friend hoping for more off-piste, not a big deal for piste-skiers like me who go over there in 4 weeks time! Toofy Grin

No not a disastre for piste skiers. Im sure the piste bashers and snow cannons will assure that pistes will be ok. The piste conditions in 4 weeks time will any way depend more what happens the week before you go there (fresh snow or not)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bwg, bart_bdv, Thanks guys - all good, no worries really it's the best start to the season in my memory. Foehns will come and go like always, but at least we have a base. 2 years ago the PdS was closed until Jan 12th as they hadn't had a flake!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27, how true, friends in Serre Chevalier (where we were skiing), were getting texts from friends in Les Gets, and not very happy ones either.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But this wasn't a foehn, was it? That's for later....maybe.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, Yes, I still shudder at the thought - we were booked in Morzine. Had a cracking 4 days in the end but it was a close one.

pam w, Yes this was a violent Foehn today according to Meteo France Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd evidently misunderstood then, as the forecast was for quite a bit of snow, as well as the wind - I thought foehn winds were always dry. You live and learn. What I don't understand at all, looking at snow-forecast for Val Thorens (I have a niece out there at the moment, hence my interest) is that at the end of the week/weekend the freezing level is said to be 2500 metres, but the MAXIMUM temperatures at 2300m minus 12. Puzzled How does that come about? There's very little wind in the forecast.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Val-Thorens/9day/bot
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

the freezing level is said to be 2500 metres, but the MAXIMUM temperatures at 2300m minus 12. How does that come about? There's very little wind in the forecast.

I would assume that's because a low level inversion develops as high pressure builds, and by the end of the week the upper air temps across the alps look likely to be quite warm.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Disaster Shocked Shocked Shocked what cack. I remember looking at the Courchevel and Meribel webcams in 2004 and there was not a drop of snow to be seen just before christmas.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Ha! the answer is in the website - surely your time on the the weather thread with Brian and Carled has taught you not to look at snow-outcast.com? wink

frosty you may need to translate 'cack' into Flemish
snow conditions
red 27, No, I treat it (especially 9 days!) as just another source of infotainment. However my own observations over 6 seasons suggest that so long as you realise it's just a computer generated forecast, ignore the quantities of snow forecast and just look at the consistency, and a general trend, it's quite useful. The detailed 2 day forecast is a good planning tool and it's rarely way out at over that timescale. I'd be interested to know, though, how the model (and, say what you like, computers don't get their sums wrong) generates those numbers. bwg, an inversion would produce lower temperatures in the valley than higher up - but how can a freezing level of 2500m equate with a maximum temperature of minus 12 at the same altitude (and no wind to speak of).

I don't think the answer is "in the website" - I expect that there's a perfectly sensible explanation, it's just that I don't know what it is.
latest report
Quote:

bwg, an inversion would produce lower temperatures in the valley than higher up - but how can a freezing level of 2500m equate with a maximum temperature of minus 12 at the same altitude (and no wind to speak of).

The GFS output is tiled, and for each tile there is I think no concept of valleys and peaks, so the inversion would apply evenly across the tile. I'm not 100% sure that this is what is going on, but the GFS forecasts I produce show a similar effect.
snow conditions
pam w, This is what it says on snow-forecast.com about why feezing levels and temps being out of sync

"Somethimes the free-air freezing level can be at 2000m but at 0m it can still get below freezing at night without cooling a 2000m column of air (there simply isn't time). Free-air FL's are stable and, critically, it is the free-air FL that determines if snow or rain will fall."

Not sure how that works during the day though??
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
red 27, No, I treat it (especially 9 days!) as just another source of infotainment. However my own observations over 6 seasons suggest that so long as you realise it's just a computer generated forecast, ignore the quantities of snow forecast and just look at the consistency, and a general trend, it's quite useful. The detailed 2 day forecast is a good planning tool and it's rarely way out at over that timescale. I'd be interested to know, though, how the model (and, say what you like, computers don't get their sums wrong) generates those numbers. bwg, an inversion would produce lower temperatures in the valley than higher up - but how can a freezing level of 2500m equate with a maximum temperature of minus 12 at the same altitude (and no wind to speak of).

I don't think the answer is "in the website" - I expect that there's a perfectly sensible explanation, it's just that I don't know what it is.

Snow forecast is based on just 1 model, namely GFS. It's an Amrican model and not so fantastic for predicting snow quantities in the European alps... If I remember well the quantities there are modeled for 3000m, which is not the same as at 1000m...

There are also a lot of bugs in the automatic interpretation of GFS (what snow forecast does), so don't be surprised of wierd results like maximum of -12 at 2500m, with a freezing level at 2500
ski holidays
May I suggest migrating this interesting discussion to the Weather Outlook thread where I'm sure others will be able to assist?
snow report
bwg wrote:
Quote:

bwg, an inversion would produce lower temperatures in the valley than higher up - but how can a freezing level of 2500m equate with a maximum temperature of minus 12 at the same altitude (and no wind to speak of).

The GFS output is tiled, and for each tile there is I think no concept of valleys and peaks, so the inversion would apply evenly across the tile. I'm not 100% sure that this is what is going on, but the GFS forecasts I produce show a similar effect.

You're approximately right. Anyway don't worry inversions mid-december are no problem for the snowpack. the sun is too low and doesn't shine long enough to to have a big impact (unlike march-april)
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Disaster Shocked Shocked Shocked what cack. I remember looking at the Courchevel and Meribel webcams in 2004 and there was not a drop of snow to be seen just before christmas.

Anyone not calling this a disastre, must be still in a state of denial (before you kill me, I'm just joking a bit)
ski holidays
skiing sucked today in the meribel valley, most lifts shut due to high winds at altitude... snow great lower down but little lift access
snow conditions
Well the wind has lifted in VT, still fairly windy above 3000m, and still a little overcast, but certainly an improvement on yesterday. Pistes seem to be in very good shape, the odd bare patch here and there but there are plenty of snow drifts to sort those out. (These really are few and far between). Off Piste looks really stripped, lots and lots of exposed rocks...

Took quite a while to get the lifts running this morning, so some pretty bad queues, which have lessoned a bit now. Still not the usual compliment of lifts running, and 3V link is currently closed.

A lot of blasting this morning, especially on the Westerly aspects of Peclet (delayed opening of the Peclet Gondola), not surprising really...

I wonder how Corch and Meribel faired? I really don’t think this has been the disaster that *some* feared!!
ski holidays
philw, Good stuff Phil, great to hear from someone on the ground over there. It does just seem like the normal pattern to me; Sometimes it snows heavily, sometimes there is a storm, the Foehn comes and goes... etc etc. One must expect extreme conditions sometimes in the High Mountains!

Now, if they can just push all the drifts onto the red runs and iron it flat things should be perfect for the influx of Great British Intermediates like me! wink snowHead
snow report
After my coffee break and post this morning, I headed back out with the intention of skinning up something, anything, yesterdays storm kept me off the mountains all day, and I wanted to get away from the masses. (Some pistes were like a human slalom, but the gates were moving all the time!)

Skinned up Mont Du Fond which gave me a great overview of VT and Le Men. VT doesn’t look so bad from that height; the areas that look like they have really suffered are Caron, Mont Brequin, La Masse and above Le Men (on the VT side of the valley). Saying this, the pistes are in fine condition and those that I have covered this afternoon have all been great. Not all of the off-piste is ruined; some sheltered areas certainly seem to have caught the windblown snow.

Typically just as I arrived at the top of Du Fond, they opened the Funitel! I did think it was a little windy up there for the masses, and the weather beacon reports the wind speed at over 17m/s (about 60km/h I think)! The wind has also started to build up in the resort again…

On a cheery note, looks like there is going to be another firework display tonight (there was one for the Ox-Bridge Varsity last week), as I saw a guy setting up just below the Knife & Fork this afternoon….
ski holidays
skied courch today and all the couliors were almost stripped of snow due to the high winds yesterday. upper pistes were difficult with windslab, loose powder and some sastrugi on sides. small avalanche on the side of combe saulier although risk only 3 looked hairy to me in lots of places.

pistes not as good as yesterday due to wind loading and drifting but still v good for this time of year
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

sastrugi

Puzzled

(Not in the Glossary wink )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, snow which looks like frozen ripples in water. Formed by wind blowing along the surface of the snow, leaving a wind crust wave pattern. Not nice to ski on.
ski holidays
rob@rar, thank you. 'spect skimottaret will lob that into the Glossary!
snow report
Pretty much the same here in Les Men,
All the links and upper lifts shut all day,The wind last night moved a lot of the snow about.
La Masse was open all day to the mid station and there was some off piste which was ok if you knew where to look.
Thought about skinning up from the mid station to the summit and decending via the Lou valley but was talked out of it as would have been alone Sad

Anyway lets hope it's better tomorrow !

Regards Mark
ski holidays
Rob@ar. I hate to admit but I was right yesterday. A meter of fresh at Val d'isere and almost nothing at 3V. Another 80 cm tomorrow and almost nothing for 3V. Maybe a bit more on wednesday but after that dry weather for some time. I wanted to go to 3V in January, I think Im gonna rebook it to val d'isere...
snow conditions
bart_bdv wrote:
Rob@ar. I hate to admit but I was right yesterday. A meter of fresh at Val d'isere and almost nothing at 3V. Another 80 cm tomorrow and almost nothing for 3V. Maybe a bit more on wednesday but after that dry weather for some time. I wanted to go to 3V in January, I think Im gonna rebook it to val d'isere...

So the season is over in the 3V then? Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
bart_bdv wrote:

rob@rar, Obviously... rolling eyes

There are a couple of weeks between now and the beginning of Jan, changing a booking on recent weather conditions seems a little hasty...
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
bart_bdv wrote:

Haha no it's not, just being a bit pessimistic, I'll get over it!
snow report
bart_bdv, Laughing
snow conditions
bart_bdv wrote:
...I hate to admit but I was right yesterday.

I've never got that expression... Puzzled if you really hated to admit then you just would have stayed quiet surely? But why hate anyway?? You were right, well done, you should be proud, not full of self hate?

Hey ho, please do keep us all updated with your holiday plans from day-to-day as the weather comes and goes!

snowHead
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
bart_bdv wrote:
...I hate to admit but I was right yesterday.

I've never got that expression... Puzzled if you really hated to admit then you just would have stayed quiet surely? But why hate anyway?? You were right, well done, you should be proud, not full of self hate?

Hey ho, please do keep us all updated with your holiday plans from day-to-day as the weather comes and goes!

snowHead

Well I guess I would have loved to admit that I was wrong and that it had snowed plentiful in the 3V. But maybe I'm making it just a little bit too complicated here...
snow conditions
It's a shame that the off piste chaps had such a bad time with the absence of snow - it was all on the pistes Very Happy Along with the entire population of VT curtailed to just the low level runs in all but a few places. By mid morning Deux lacs, Plein Sud, Moutiere, Portette (surprisingly), Cascades, Caron, and finally funitel peclet opened, but Tete Rond and Christine were closed leaving the only option as the Beranger (Which looked Skullie from the lift) or Lac Blanc reds (something we didn't discover until you were up there! Still it's another red under my belt Very Happy Lac Blanc was however, damn windy right at the top (rather like that wind in the video of Les Menuires on the other thread).

Snow coverage on the pistes was good (with the odd snowdrift to catch the unwary skier (me) out) BMF_Skier reckoned that I resembled a snowy version of meerkat emerging - hope no-one saw me Embarassed The skiing and snow, where it was, was v.good - if crowded, with that lovely 'crunchy' sensation as it compressed under the skis.
ski holidays
News from Boywonder in VT. Winds have dropped, loads of snow, visibility improving, but links still closed.
Anybody out there look for a huge Royal Navy White Ensign on the slopes and you'll find him
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy