Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice, please.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled Okay, I have done this query to death on the SCGB members' chat page, for anyone who has read it, apolgies in advance. And I have read on here some posts by unconfident women so I appeal for special help from you ladies! I am 51 and have skied for years but my confidence has dipped and according to my adult children and my friends who are excellent skiers, my ability outweighs my lack of confidence. A longstanding and close friend and I want to ski on our own in the New Year, no partners, no kids, just us. She was a probably a better skier than me but broke her leg in three places a few years ago in France. The shock and further shock of her medical treatment - delay and an operation with plates and pins in France with local and sedation only - has understandably affected her and she is not keen on France but doesn't rule it out. I know Kitzbuhel, St.Johann,Steinplatte,Fieberbrunn,Ski Welt, Kaprun and Zell am Zee very well and Morzine and it's environs but we would prefer somewhere neither of us knows. We want a resort, preferably in Austria, in which we can cruise on easy blues and reds. So far, I have identified Obertauern, Niederau (but the hotels there have had very bad reviews on a number of sites) and Seefeld and this is the place we have so far settled on. We have also considered Val Cenis and La Clusaz in France and Finnish resorts for the combination of skiing and possibly seeing the Northern Lights as we would like to go second or third weeks in Jan. Other than that our only non-negotiable is single rooms for middle aged cranks!

Seefeld seems to tick all of our boxes so any info would be gratefully accepted, otherwise the limited number of Finnish resorts on offer. We are happy to arrange Austria or France independently as I have done that for years but what about Finland?

Thanks guys and girls,
Aneira
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aneira,
Welcome to snowHeads.

I will probably sound like a scratched record as this is what I always say.

Why not wait untill much closer to the time and see where has the best snow? Mid january is low season and so is easy to get accommodation however late you leave it. If it is cold and has not snowed for a long time slopes can get pretty hard packed and icy at that time.
I really would wait and see where has good snow.

If not Obertauern is pretty reliable and has some enjoyable gentle stuff. I also enjoyed Val Cenis but have not been to any of the other resorts on your list.

Must admit if I was wanting single hotel rooms of reasonable quality Austria would top my list, but only if the snow is good. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aneira,

Have you considered Saalbach? Intermediates paradise. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Aneira - have a look at Schladming or Lech in Austria or perhaps Madonna di Campiglio in the Italian Dolomites or even Serre Chevalier in France but close to Italian border. We tend to book last minute to follow the snow and get the best deals. A private two hour lesson for the two of you might be a good idea.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aneira, welcome to Snowheads. Your trip sounds a really good idea, but for me top quality tuition would be the first priority on my list. Not just a single private lesson, but maybe 3 or 4 days...... it could make such a big difference. Charlotte Swift in Les Deux Alpes is a super instructor, would not mind my saying that she's past the first flush of youth herself and she's really good with people who need confidence boosting.

see easiski.com or lots of posts on here. I'm a satisfied customer, as are lots of snowHead s ranging from very nervous beginners to real hotshots (and lots of us somewhere in between) but have no commercial axe to grind.

It's so easy just to potter round for a week, very pleasant, but be no more competent at the end than you are at the beginning.

An alternative would be a course - Inspired to Ski, maybe. Or have a look at the week being organised in March - http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40861

Your friend's experience sounds horrendous. Not surprised she's gone off France, but it would have been bad wherever it happened. My son spent some days in an Austrian hospital after smashing an ankle tobogganing. Surgical care was excellent but he was quite shocked at how basic the wards were - major lack of privacy etc. And he's spent a lot of time travelling rough in Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe - he's not had a sheltered life. And he speaks German. On the whole I think you'll do as well for medical care in France as in most places. Best not go to Bulgaria, maybe wink though one of my friends was raving about her brilliant experience having major elective dentistry in Hungary!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Aneira, Welcome to snowHeads.

For the skiing of the Austrian ones I would opt for Obertauren lots of blue and red runs
Seefeld nicer village but less skiing available and not as easy to access the slopes
Niederau I would avoid if you have skied more than three weeks or so Great place to learn but a bit limited after that
Have a go on the forum search and you should get a fair bit of details on all three
Never been to Finland though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I really loved Obertauern and it has some nice reds & blues that you can ski the whole vally circuit on. We also stayed in a gorgeous hotel, recommended by a fellow snowhead Mr Zorro, the Hotel Schneider http://www.schneider.at/englisch/index.html . I would really rate this hotel, superb food, lovely swimming pool and friendly helpful staff. The resort also has a bookable transfer bus whch is very good and efficient, bookable from the resort website. You can ski to/from the hotel direct.

Also being a not particularly confident skier, I'd also echo the others suggestions of lessons Very Happy Hope you enjoy wherever you decide to go snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy