Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian ski instruction

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Obergurgl for Xmas (woo-hoo! only 4 weeks to go Very Happy ), and am thinking of booking a few days of group lessons.

Looking at the ski school website, it looks like they only do full-day lessons - so before committing to what would be a fair chunk of my hols, it would be great to know what I can expect from Austrian ski school.

I know it works for some people, but I really don't get on with the 'bend the knees and follow me' style of teaching. So if I'm hoping this isn't what I'm going to get!?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never been to Austria and really don't know what to expect (although I'm looking forward to some Tiroler Grostl .... yum).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, I've got no experience myself of Austrian ski schools, however, it may be quite telling that there are often quite a few recommendations for Austrian ski resorts when people are asking specifically for resorts with good instruction. So, you'll probably get a good few days in Obergurgl.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I learnt to ski in Obergurgl and have been with the ski school quite a few times over the years. Can't think of anything particularly negative. One guy had us drinking beer at lunchtime as we would then "ski better in ze afternoon". The classes start at 10am next to the Rosskar lift and finish at 3-4. I think the ski school is the only option for tuition in Obergurgl but I've had worse in France. I really like Obergurgl, there's nothing like skiing down for a beer at the Schirm bar at the end of the day. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abj, Think Obergurl will be like most - couple of hours in morning then couple of hours in afternoon. We came accross quite a good thing in Oberlech this year - you can get private tuition during the lunch break for an absolute fraction of the price - something €50 for two of my kids for around 90 mins from memory. Basically any instructors that are kicking around will take you, so it's just your donald duck in terms of availability, but probably 90 mins one to one is better than 5/6 hours in group lesson. Don't think they really advertise this though, for obvious reasons.
My view has always been that is a ski HOLIDAY. Get lessons at home then enjoy your skiing when away, and if necessary get a wee top up one to one whilst away. You'll also get a lot more mileage out of a one to one lesson.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, I'll bite. With four hours of lessons each day you will get a fair bit of "follow me", but not of "bend ze knees". I have been to Obergurgl many times in the past and taken the group lessons. Would I do so now - I'm not so sure. If you are looking to improve your skiing, then private lessons are much better. If you just want someone to ski with then try the SCGB (they'll give you a free day and then sign you up for 2 seasons for the price of one, I believe). If you want someone to ski with and the possibility of some small improvement in your skiing, then by all means try group lessons. Groups can be fairly large - 10 or so.

If you sign up for group lessons then most people do either 3 (or is it 4) days or the full week. Lesson plans are fairly predictable with the majority of the teaching and exercises early on in the day and more skiing later on to put your new-found skills into practice (I think this is all very sensible). Where you ski will depend on your level and the weather, but most groups make it over to Hochgurgl for at least one day and the better groups often for several days. Just bear in mind you will be away from base and any others in your party for the entire day.

Whatever you do, you must spend an early evening at the Nederhütte. They used to have live music on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, but check first. It's an easy ski down in the dark, with the occasional little light, and great fun. Get there about 3.30 and don't leave until it's definitely gloomy outside. The hut may be very noisy, but the little trickle of skiers coming down the slope have never been rowdy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Derek Jackson, thanks for the info.

It's very much about improving our technque (I'm going with my GF, so have a ski-buddy).

Private lessons would be my first choice - but group lessons look such good value: 3 x days is about 139 Euros, against 200-Euros for a single-day of private tution. Confused Maybe I need stop being such a tight b%gger!

I've heard quite a bit about the Nederhutte - so it's definitely on my list of things to do. I've also heard that the evening ski show that the instructors put on once a week is worth going to (?)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj, I think the three day option is a good one to go for as five days is sometimes a bit too much as people start dropping away towards the end and you can get moved between different instructors, which can be bit unsettling. I've always found the people in the groups to be good fun and a mix of Germans and brits. THe Nederhutte is worth a look but there's a limit to the number of times I want to hear rock god Rudy playing "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC. Last time I was in there a table keeled over with loads of people dancing on it, depositing people and glasses all over the floor. It was carnage, but after a quick bit of sweeping up, the table was uprighted, everyone climbed back on and the band continued as if nothing had happened! The ski show is really good and definitely worth a look, you take the Festkogl gondola to get to it, just remember to take your ski pass, as I didn't! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abj, You wouldn't take a full day of private lessons - it would be a total waste of time and money. You can't (anyone) concentrate for all that time! Book some private lessons in the lunch time - they're sure to do it, and that will bring you on much faster and you can also control your own lesson to a certain extent. Very Happy Big group lessons are NEVER good value if you really want to improve your skiing.

BTW I find the idea of the ski instructors having a lunch break is unbelievably lazy! I saw it in Wengen this year too. Shocked We all work pretty much all day - indeed I had a client somewhat miffed the other day when I explained that I wanted half an hour in between lessons (and that's just because I'm old!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wise words from easiski, and Derek Jackson, My wife and I learnt more from easiski, in a couple of hours than in a couple of weeks when in a group. Sure the social side is good if going solo and an international group is fun. We liked Obergurgl but found the blue runs at Hochgurgl particularly good; you take the Express lift across or bus direct if the run down to the Express is too challenging. Kelskii, is on the ball with the ski show which is up the mountain. We were lucky enough to see this on a cloudless moonlit night and it is not to be missed. It may be very cold though so dress as you would skiing (maybe even more layers!).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok - I think I'm convinced about the private lessons Very Happy

As a matter of interest, do the Austrians have a particular teaching style?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abj, Do you mean teaching style or teaching system? Obviously all instructors are individuals and they will all teach slightly differently to suit their personalities. The Austrian system is pretty normal in terms of progression and basic theory etc, so you're unlikely to be taught anything vastly different from what you've learnt before. At the end of the day; who are the best skiers in the world???? Very Happy

lordjohn, thank you for the kind words, and I hope you're both well. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abj, I've done 2 weeks of ski school in Obergurgl and found the teaching brilliant. One week we had an older chap and the next, a young macho guy. The younger guys seem to be more 'up-to-date' in their approach and the older guys are quite particular and refined in their style (if that makes sense Puzzled ) And, in my experience, there is no such thing as 'can't do that'.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ABJ..we have been going to Obergurgl for the last 10 years , the ski school is very well run and are more than willing to accommodate you in any way, they are most obliging and speak very good english,,the first day is a bit hectic after that it is easy to organise lunch hour private tuition . Enjoy,,it is a great resort and the Nederhutte is something else !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy