Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Picking someone up from Geneva Airport

Poster: A snowHead
We are driving through France and will be picking a friend up enroute from the airport. As the approach roads appear to be m/way on the map, does anyone know if we will need a vignette. (I expect so Sad )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yep - the border guys will sell it to you
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there are 2-sides to the airport, one bit in france, one bit in Switzerland. Its possible to get to french side of the airport avoiding paying vignettes but it's a bit of a tricky access to find.

Not done it myself driving "past" to pick someone up but no doubt someone elsoe has. The maps on the airport web-site are actually pretty good http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-59/

I'd also check these threads: -

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=809098&highlight=geneva+airport+access#809098

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=259108&highlight=geneva+airport+access#259108

I'll be driving up to pick someone up later this season so I'll be looking at this thread too!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, Thanks for the airport link.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gsb, you say your friend is "en route from the airport". Does that mean they'll not actually be at the airport? Where will you be coming from - and going to? What about coming back from your holiday?

It's possible to get to either side of the airport without using the motorway but as bertie bassett says it's less straightforward and if your onward route makes it easier to use the Swiss motorway (as it does, for example, going to Chamonix) it's probably simpler just to buy one. However, if you go INTO Switzerland on a road other than a motorway I don't think you'll automatically be sold a vignette; you'd have to ask.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, My post badly phrased, we are enroute he will be at the airport. It will be easier just to get a vignette as I have to drop him off on the way back as well. Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been able to cross the main Swiss/French border control without a passport, but never a vignette. On a secondary road border control one may be able to get away without a vignette.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee wrote:
I have been able to cross the main Swiss/French border control without a passport, but never a vignette.

I have on the main route into Basel..but it was 4 in the morning, and there didn't seem to be anywhere obvious/open to buy one.

After stopping for a quick re-fill of the petrol tank and a browse of the window display of 'beate uhse' - ann summers in a motorway service station in switzerland WTF ?!?!

Made it all the way to milan without being stopped / having to pay for a vignette..I guess we were lucky...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cross at Bernex a lot, and the only time I've gone through without a hawk-eyed border guard clocking my vignette was in the morning rush hour when some lanes weren't manned. But of course, if you drive into Switzerland on a road other than a motorway (e.g. coming down over the Jura) you don't need a vignette to get in. But it's a convenient point to buy one if you'll need it later. I think all border crossing sell them - but maybe very little ones don't.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As long as you don't go on the motorway you don't need one. You can get to the airport without entering on the motorway, you might have to alter your route, and it might be inconvenient. You would probably have to drive through town, which can get confusing and very busy depending on the time of day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ruke, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been told that the short-term car park only takes CHF coins. Anyone know approx how much and do you have to pay in advance or could I get some change in the terminal.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I am going to the airport on 30 Dec and leaving 2nd Jan, will I have to have vignettes for 2008 and 2009?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb,

Yes you can get change in the airport. The airport is in Switzerland, if you pay in EUR they will only take notes and give you change in CHF notes and coins. Of course they hit you on the exchange rate. Then again it couldn't be any worse than the weak GBP, I paid £271 for €300 this morning - OUCH!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry just got the answer to my question elsewhere. Vignette is valid until end Jan, so I will only need one.
ski holidays
welshflyer, Thanks. I managed to get 1.141 this morning at Marks & Spencer against 1.1060 at the Post Office
ski holidays
gsb wrote:
I've been told that the short-term car park only takes CHF coins. Anyone know approx how much and do you have to pay in advance or could I get some change in the terminal.
You get a ticket on entry and put it in the machine before you leave. First 10 minutes is free. Departures time limit is 30 minutes and arrivals 60 minutes. I think it's 2 CHF for up to half an hour and maybe CHF5 for the hour.
snow conditions
I picked my other half up from Geneva (from Avoriaz) last April without a Vignette, by avoiding the Autoroute into Geneva airport. Look closely at the maps and it is quite possible without taking much longer, but it can still be tricky even with a satnav.

The French/Swiss customs/border is not obvious when you drive through it, so keep an eye out in case you're supposed to stop.
latest report
I always want to pick someone up at Geneva airport, too much time spent around women that russel when the walk in these here snowy mountains.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, your brain fresh need batteries.
snow conditions
Quote:

The French/Swiss customs/border is not obvious when you drive through it, so keep an eye out in case you're supposed to stop.

or get shot...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy