Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pomas, chairs, bubbles etc. Why?

Poster: A snowHead
I have noticed a seemingly random array of methods of raising people up mountains.

Obviously:

1. bubbles & underground railways & 8-seater chairs take a large number of people up a long way very quickly.
2. chairs can cross rocks, ravines and valleys in the way that drags cannot.

But otherwise, why choose one rather than the other? And what do people prefer and why?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would assume drags are easier to install, and less susceptable to slight movement which is why you tend to see the more on glaciers...

On a nice day I prefer chairs, on a rubbishier day then heated charis with lids Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They all have their uses. Draglifts work in very high winds and as Bertie says work better on glaciers as the Pylons are much easier to move as the glacier moves. Some draglifts pylons are even capable of being moved 'in-situ". They are also much cheaper and easier to maintain. Cable cars are the worst for maintenance, many a resort has installed one only to find they couldn't run it long term.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last, to find out more then http://www.leitner-poma.com/frame1-listproducts.htm has some more detailed infos...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, bertie bassett, I've decided to remove the staircase from my house in order to put in a poma.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chairlift up, death slide down....now I'd buy that house!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last wrote:
Thanks, bertie bassett, I've decided to remove the staircase from my house in order to put in a poma.

Don't you mean a Stana?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James the Last wrote:

You're not trying hard enough.

Some birtish guys recently appropriated some of that redundant matting used for dryslopes - the diamond stuff with the bristles, and built a kicker in their back garden

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-29089.html

Enjoy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James the Last wrote:
what do people prefer and why?

I don't really mind at all - I don't mind draglifts in the slightest unlike a lot of people seemingly. The only sort of lifts that I really don't like are the gondolas with the rack on the outside for putting your skis in. I had a bad experience in Les Arcs last year with one of them and some twintips, and now I just don't like them anymore rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What are these lifts of which you speak - doesn't everyone get dropped off at the top by their own helicopter Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Boris
super-snowHead

Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last wrote:
I have noticed a seemingly random array of methods of raising people up mountains.

Obviously:

1. bubbles & underground railways & 8-seater chairs take a large number of people up a long way very quickly.
2. chairs can cross rocks, ravines and valleys in the way that drags cannot.

But otherwise, why choose one rather than the other? And what do people prefer and why?

I think you also need to look it as an evolution of technology, capability, cost and number of people required to be moved up a hill.

Day 1 Railwaiys / funiculars
Day 2 Primitive Cable cars but probably not for skiing
Day 3 a drag was the easiest way to get people up a hill unless some kind Victorian had built a railway or funicular.
Day 4 chair lifts
Day 5 Better cable cars / gondolas
Day 6 Underground funiculars
Day 7 Detachable chairs / funitels etc

and when tho god of uplift gives up think about teleportation to get to the top?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Think there are moving cables for piste users to grab onto and drag along a short distance.

At the nusery slope there are also moving flat plastic platforms similar to those aluminium ones used in the airport.

If a skier has gone up to a 3000+m level on a windy day he/she would know immediately know why people put T bar/drag lift there instead of chairlift/godola as he/she would not like to be on the latter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevew, I think on the first day they walked wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never worked why some go clockwise and others anti though.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
stevew, I think on the first day they walked wink

Very Happy
snow report
I prefer chairs as you don't have to take your skis off. On a snowey day a chair with a cover is my preferance
ski holidays
I keep on looking for the knot in the chair lift cables. They are not like rubber bands and made in a loop. The cables come wound on drums and have to be wrapped around the pylons. The the ends have to be joined. So where is the knot? And how do they measure the length of cable needed? They must allow for the deep drops as the cable curves down under its own weight between the pylons. And after they have wrapped the cable around the pylons, how do they keep the cable tight enough to tie the knots? (These are the knots I keep looking for.) Perhaps Mr Pomagalski and Mr Doppelmayr are magicians.
snow conditions
Adrian, see here and here Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:
Aerial passenger ropeways were known in Asia well before the 1600s for crossing chasms in mountainous regions. Men would traverse a woven fiber line hand over hand. Evolutionary refinement added a harness or basket to also transport cargo.
from Wikipedia. We should think ourselves lucky...
snow conditions
Adrian wrote:
The the ends have to be joined. So where is the knot? And how do they measure the length of cable needed? They must allow for the deep drops as the cable curves down under its own weight between the pylons. And after they have wrapped the cable around the pylons, how do they keep the cable tight enough to tie the knots? (These are the knots I keep looking for.) Perhaps Mr Pomagalski and Mr Doppelmayr are magicians.

They splice the strands together. I've seen them doing maintenance on an out-of-service drag.

The cables are usually tensioned with a large weight at one end of the lift. Usually a massive lump of concrete down a hole with cables of its own acting round a big pulley, then pulling on the assembly that holds the main pulley.
ski holidays
In many lifts it is easy to see the tensioning system, so the mechanism in an installed lift is obvious. My question was about pulling the ends together before knotting or splicing the cable when installing it.

But I've made some of you think hard about splicing the cables.

The mechanics of ski lift design and installation is fascinating. I use lifts lots but have no real idea of how they are made, how strong the cables are, how they do the sums about cable strength needed. Thanks, mark_s, for the Wikipedia links.
ski holidays
For extra speed on a chairlift, do you prefer the detachable sort, or the non-detachable that has a moving carpet load?
snow report
In my book ski lifts are feats of engineering genuis. The 3S-Bahn in Kitzbühel in particular blew me away, it spans a yawning chasm of a valley with no pylons!! Amazing...

I'm so sad I've even been known to stand under the local gondola lift at Matlock Bath, shut my eyes and listen to it to be transported away to a much higher mountain someplace else. Sigh...
latest report
Butterfly wrote:
For extra speed on a chairlift, do you prefer the detachable sort, or the non-detachable that has a moving carpet load?

Both on the same chair ... however most moving carpets on detachables are just to make sure people load in the right place rather than to speed it up.
snow report
anyone fancy travelling on this lift Shocked

http://uk.youtube.com/v/D8rXiN_Oys4&feature=related
snow conditions
skinutter, yikes
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
skinutter, yikes
whole new meaning to the detachable chairlifts Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
remembered reading this last season....some great photos of the procedure of splicing the chairlift cable

http://www.prazsurarly.com/spip/article.php3?id_article=862
ski holidays
tomstickland wrote:

It's so that they don't impart spin to the whole resort NehNeh
snow report
Quote:

Isn't it dependent on which way the water goes down the plughole?
snow report
I prefer chairs (preferably fast ones with a cover) as I dont particularly want to take my skis off, that said, in Whistler i really did get an appreciation for the type of 6/8 man bubble as you got to sit down out of the weather!

Worst type of lift are those large gondolas where they cram as many people in as possible all standing up holding their skis, very uncomfortable.

As for that video, amazing footage! good job no one was on it though!
snow conditions
In addition to the easier installation of drag lifts (they can be screwed in to the ice and then moved every summer when they become out of alignment if necessary).

Drags can of course go around bends - ever seen a chairlift do this?
snow report
Quote:

Yes - at the top they turn 180 degrees and head back down the slope wink
snow report
Drags just aren't any fun on a board. They're olerable at MK but when they're about 500m long then that's just hell on earth.

Chairlifts for me, although the allure of a bubble is nice when the weather is pants Smile

kkev wrote:

Surely there must be a design to do this with chairs? I can't imagine every chair is totally straight?...
snow conditions
kkev wrote:
In addition to the easier installation of drag lifts (they can be screwed in to the ice and then moved every summer when they become out of alignment if necessary).

There is no reason why they shouldn't, given that both drags and chairs operate by means of a continuous loop of cable running over supports.

But because the "passengers" are not in contact with the surface, there is no need to turn to make use of/avoid surface features the way drags will often do.
ski holidays
http://www.skiresort.de/lifte/kurvensessel.htm

Chairs with curves!
ski holidays
There is a chairlift in Killington that makes a very sharp left turn. When loading onto it we were warned about it by the liftie but, being ruffty tuffty skiers (or imagining ourselves as such) we laughed about it. All I can say is that the first time we took the bend it was very alarming, one minute you're going one way, the next you lurch round the corner. Great fun to take someone on it who does not know what's coming!
ski holidays
The Penkenbahn (main Mayrhofen gondola) makes a small full speed turn, maybe 10 degrees at the first tower. Puts the fear of god into all downhill passengers as it makes quite a rumble!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 24-11-08 19:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
And there is at least one chairlift in Zermatt (from Furgg toward Furggsattel) that goes round a bend
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy