Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TO dropping staff

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.natives.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16628&highlight=

Seems the evil empire is feeling the pinch.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there any real indication that this is any different to the way they normally operate?

I don't know the answer, I'm just wondering.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney, they always run a reserve list, but people going through the cookery course would usually expect to start at the beginning of the season (waste of money otherwise, as reserves usually carry on jobhunting and often disappear before you get to them). Anecdotal information suggests that more people have been put on reserve than is usual.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
alex_heney, they always run a reserve list, but people going through the cookery course would usually expect to start at the beginning of the season (waste of money otherwise, as reserves usually carry on jobhunting and often disappear before you get to them). Anecdotal information suggests that more people have been put on reserve than is usual.

Is it potentially classic big company 'left hand' vs 'right hand' - HR are (IMHO) the most useless part of a big company - perhaps they've been recruiting at a similar rate to last year - i.e. we need 100 chalet hosts, 50 reps etc whereas the guys that manage the yield (for want of a better term) are thinking of dropping stand-buy beds as they might have less bookings?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, probably.

Lizzard, why 'evil empire'? Is that because they have a big% of the market and can squeeze resort suppliers?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, more to do with their attitude to staff/guests/anyone really. Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, fair enough. My last experience with Thomson was very good - but that was quite a while ago.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I worked for TUI in the UK for 5 years and I thought they were a good company. Until they made me redundant Sad.

I'd work for them again though and I'd use them for holidays, which isn't true of all the holiday companies I've worked for.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alan empty, I like the involvement of owners of accommodation (eg, close to Lizzard, the Lutins and Scubaski). That said, no complaints about Thomson.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, yeah if it wasn't for the children I'd probably DIY most of my holidays.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alan empty, We are the opposite, for us because of the kids we have DIYed most of ours. Just makes everything more flexible for us, travel, accomodation ski schools etc, just need to book up in advance. Before we had our own place we would know where we wanted to go at least 9 months ahead.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gilberts Fridge, I likes the freedom that DIY'ing our holidays gave us, even when we went with tour ops we rarely took advantage of their services, preferring to do our own thing, and using them as a means to get where we wanted to be. Once I discovered the internet, TO's became history.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm very pleased to say that we have benefited from this - we had a last minute drop out from one of our team and managed to replace them the next day with a lovely girl who rang us up on the off chance having been told she no longer had a job for this season with Crystal two weeks before she was due to leave the UK! Their loss our gain Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
katski, she'll probably have a much better season with you as well - bargain all round.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I imagine it's a mix of things. I went on one of the cookery courses (Crystal paid for it, all I had to do was get to/from the departure airport) and know of a couple of people who were originally told they were going out (contract signed, deposit paid), but who are now at the top of the reserve list. The cookery courses done this way are a relatively new thing, I got the impression it was so that Crystal know they have staff that are capable, and to try and avoid desperately seeking staff around now (I get the impression that's been the case in previous years) to fill the Chalet Host positions, thus offering jobs to those who perhaps otherwise wouldn't have got one on the basis of their cooking skills. It just so happens that this has coincided with the economic slowdown so there are more people looking for jobs, and fewer people booking holidays as they economise so staff requirements have suddenly dropped, at least for the early part of the season with them then sending more out around January in time for the peak ski time.
snow report
Sitter, January isn't peak season. Once they get through Christmas and New Year, the next time they'll be busy is mid-February. Though they do aim to sack a few in each resort during the first week or so as a warning to everyone else.
ski holidays
No complaints about TUI here, but that's as a customer rather than staff. When I did a season I worked for a small independent TO who eventually got swallowed up by Inghams. I thought they were OK as employers at the time, but looking back now I have worked for many more mundane UK companies I realise that pretty much all TOS treat their seasonal staff rather poorly...
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Once I discovered the internet, TO's became history.

Same here Very Happy Have to say it would have to be a very exceptional offer to tempt me and,as I don't waste my time looking for them,that's unlikely wink
snow report
Quote:

Sitter, January isn't peak season. Once they get through Christmas and New Year, the next time they'll be busy is mid-February. Though they do aim to sack a few in each resort during the first week or so as a warning to everyone else.

Hence I said 'in time for the peak season', ie send em out in January (towards the end, should've said that before), give them the week or two training and then to the resorts.
latest report
Quote:

week or two training

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Day and a half if you're lucky.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, the last resort form me with a TO, in more ways than one , was a 4.5 hour transfer from Geneva to Chatel including a detour to let some others change bus. We left Gatwick at 7 and got in to the chalet at about 4 local time. Nothing provided to eat or no oportunity to buy anything after the brekkie on the aircraft. Glad we had no kids back then

In Europe I much prefer driving to resort now because of the freedom it gives, and when compared to a total time to get to the PDS of 11 hours it's not much longer or huge difference in cost for a family of 4.
snow report
Gilberts Fridge, our worst was returning from the famous La Rosiere. It was snowing heavily. the minibus slid down the very windy mountain road, and dumped us in Aime. It was 7am. We were still there at 8.30
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, We had similar experience with one particular TO two years in a row (should have learned after first trip)
First time we were dumped in the middle of nowhere for over a hour for a connection bus with no shelter. Evil or Very Mad
The second time we ended up back at the airport four and a half hours before the flight was due to go.
Never used that TO again no matter how good their deals are
We still use other TO without problems though.
snow conditions
Spies tell me Descent International have just dropped chalets/staff. Shortage of wealthy bankers out there this year.
snow conditions
Lizzard, wonder if that includes Tom Aikens possibly the worlds most expensive chalet boy!!
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Spies tell me Descent International have just dropped chalets/staff. Shortage of wealthy bankers out there this year.

Not really a surprise, but you'd be gutted if you were due to work for them...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy