Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt - Good for a beginner???/Expensive???

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of doing a ski seaon in Zermatt but unsure of the slopes being ideal for a beginner.

In addition, can anyone tell me if it is as expensive as everyone tells me (exc booze and high style restraunts)

Plus any helpon finding an apartment for 1 would be ideal???

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey Livethedream24, in terms of resorts there are few better, in terms of doing a season and learning to ski there are many better. In my opinion try one of the Austrian or French resorts that are big and have a good town / cities in the vicinity. Zermatt is one of my favourite ski spots but really not ideal for your needs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not?

What do you recommend???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Livethedream24,
If you are doing a season you won't be a beginer for very long. You can learn how to ski in pretty much any mainstream resort. Zermatt definately ain't cheap though. Unless I knew that I was getting paid for being there it is not where I would choose.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree it's not good for a beginner. Most of the easier slopes are very high up with long ascents and probably T Bars required. I don't think there is anything suitable lower down. Returning to resort on skis is tricky everywhere, alternative is by lift, train, etc. Drinks wise I didn't find it too expensive last year I think the most I paid for a pint was 8 SFr and in most places cheaper, I didn't go anywhere extravagant. Eating out in town seemed pretty expensive, but no more really than French resorts, and cheaper food could be had elsewhere, there's even a MacDonalds if that floats your boat. S FR is down over 10% since January when I went though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No/Yes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't think theres anything particulary hard ski wise at Zermatt, maybe one or two runs, but plenty that a beginner could do, especially as you are planning doing a season there..my issue would be that I'd get a bit bored quickly there even if you count Cervinia, its not that an extensive ski area, unless you plan to do some heli ski or get the train down to some other places in the area.

As for how expensive it is..well thats pretty open..if you're going to be paid local then that takes the exchange rate issues out. Its no more expensive the a night out in the UK drinks wise, and if you're staying all season long then you'll probably go to tasch or visp to do shopping. Apartments might be harder to get cheap...there is a new seasonarries bunk house type affair but I can't remember the name of it..also probably worth looking at tasch and get the train up in the mornings.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with Colin B. T Bar's comment is also on the mark.

papasmurf, I find the idea that there's nothing 'particularly hard' or that it's not an extensive ski area extraordinary.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Livethedream24, If you're doing the season you'll find your feet soon enough. Take some lessons and you'll do it quicker. Look for accommodation in Taesch and save a few bob. Drink in the North Wall and save more.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My g/f managed to ski there happily on her 3rd week on skis.. and compared ski welt etc its a pretty limited area to ski for a whole season..tis superb for a holiday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
papasmurf wrote:
My g/f managed to ski there happily on her 3rd week on skis

That's not the quite the same as saying there's "nothing particularly hard" at Zermatt. To me, that sounded like there would be nothing to attract an expert to Zermatt, but perhaps you didn't mean that.

I have seen some (pretty well unavoidable) narrow runs strewn with fallen beginners (and, I suspect people who thought they were beyond beginner) at Zermatt when the conditions are dodgy. I'd say it really isn't the easiest place, though as T Bar says, if livethedream is a quick learner that shouldn't be a drawback for too long.

On the size of resort, I'd say there's plenty to keep a high-end skier amused for a season, but it might be limiting to anyone stuck in a rut, particularly at a low level.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No i meant that a beginner could ski the pistes at Zermatt with no reall issue except one or two bits that might cause a problem, but they can be avioded till you're better...which if you're doing a season should be pretty quick. As this chaps saying beginner I'm not counting any of the itineries or backcountry\off piste as part of of the resort ski area.

And yes its not the easiest..but then its not that hard as people seem to always make out...and theres plenty of easy beginners places you'd be boreed senseless off after 2-3 weeks prgression I reckon...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saying all this I still think somewhere in Austria would be better especially on one of the larger ski pass areas as then you're not stuck in one place and can explore different areas by car\train\bus\ski which you can't really do in Zermatt easily depending on crowds weather and snow conditions and how you're prgressing as a skier.

Plus i develop a unnatural hatred of grampis taxis after a week there..which would stop me doing a season there
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Livethedream24 wrote:
Why not?

What do you recommend???

In Austria I would go for Kitzbuhel - great connections to other parts of Austria, excellent apres ski, extensive skiing and a great variety of visitors and seasonal workers. In France I would go for a season in Morzine, not quite the resort that Kitzbuhel is but big and lively and in the middle of a big ski area.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Livethedream24, "Zermatt - Good for a beginner???/Expensive???"

You're half right...
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Livethedream24, "Zermatt - Good for a beginner???/Expensive???"

You're half right...

Very Happy
snow report
or is he half wrong.
snow conditions
papasmurf wrote:
or is he half wrong.
also worth a Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for all your advice.

Okay...how about St Anton for a season as a beginner????

Again...any tips on accomodation in St Anton will be great
ski holidays
Are you deliberately listing resorts famed for being beginner-unfriendly for a laugh?

What next, La Grave?
ski holidays
Livethedream24, maybe asking for advice for a resort which offers good ski school options and a range of terrain which includes extensive beginner areas with lots of terrain to progress to. I think Courchevel would be a great choice, but probably not the cheapest place to do a season.
ski holidays
I agree with rob@rar, Courchevel would certainly flatter a beginner! Once the improvement occurs he will have a huge area to get the variety. However, sod the expense it will probably be his only year off and he has the rest of his life to save the money for the one week a year!!

I did think like paulio, the OP was having a bit of a wind up in relation to resorts!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy