Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xmas ski trip help please!!

Poster: A snowHead
5 or 6 of us want to get away to the mountains over christmas 20th-27th but are unsure of where to go. we are all early 20's looking for a lively resort cheaper the better, i don't mean 180quid to bulgaria but something half decent. we've been looking at austria but no deals are jumping out the page to us as cheap. HAVE ANY VIDULANT SNOWHEADS SEEN ANY UBER GOOD DEALS???? dont mind what airport or accomodation/board type but half board would prob be better. IF ANYONE NOTICES ANYTHING REALLY GOOD OR CHEAP PLEASE LET ME KNOW! would like to getsomething booked soon! thanks for your help!!! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

would like to getsomething booked soon!

your wish to get something booked soon is rather at odds with your wish for "the cheaper the better". The best deals for Christmas are not going to be available yet - with plenty of November still to run. Be patient, and something will come up!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try this http://www.stantonchalets.co.uk/chalet_details.asp?cid=445 Catered chalet in St Anton for £629 - £500 saving. St Anton will rock your boat. Saalbach, Kitzbuhel, Ischgl and Solden should also be on your radar, as should Mayrhofen. Doubt that you would get something cheap in Ischgl though, but maybe further down the road in Galtur?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mark_20vt, Will send you a pm - may have an idea for you...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah ischgl seems really pricey. i went to kitzbuhel last jan so not really too keen on heading back there as i like places i've never been. i'd be happy to book something on the 19th but not too sure that the other lads share the same opinion! cheers for the help so far snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are still looking for a Christmas trip then take a look at http://www.karibuni.co.uk/ski_holidays/catered_chalet/ski_chalet_christmas.html

Based in La Clusaz / Aravis region (where it's currentlty snowing and already put down 20cm in the village) and with a fun crowd in for Christmas.. (no kids!)
Flights are still pretty good value for Christmas.... Hope that helps!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could do 21st - 27th December in Les Coches, Paradiski (6 nights) for £308 per person, plus we do evening transfers from Geneva at £12.50 per person each way. Les Coches not THE most lively resort in the world, but has got some bars, etc. which we are only a few mins walk from. Also some space in Tignes 21st - 28th Dec at £369 pp with transfers at £25 per person each way. We are not in the main part of Tignes so it's a bus to night life, taxi home - but you can party hard all night there...I wouldn't call it cheap though (which goes for any of France's main resorts).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
all of us have been to tignes with your lot already this year thanks joanne... were still hunting for austria at the minute though!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Mark

When you say
Quote:

i don't mean 180quid to bulgaria but something half decent

is that, you dont want to travel to Bulgaria?
We have availablilty in our Lodge for the 20th to 27th in Bansko, BULGARIA! Cant do £180 but can do £288 for Catered inclusive of airport transfers, shuttle to and from the gondola.
We have a great Lodge that is very clean, comfortable and relaxed, all rooms are en-suite and we even have a large Hot Tub in the garden..
We are also just a 10 minute leisurely walk from the centre of town and all the bars and clubs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glynis, just examined a piste map for Bansko and we all said that we could ski that in about a day! also there don't seem to be many black runs which we like but from what i've heard its a good, fun, cheap resort but fairly limited for experienced skiers. Thanks anyway!

appreciate all the ideas!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mark_20vt, come to Ski Amade in Austria - 45 mins from Salzburg airport, loads of snow, loads of fun. PM me for info. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you want cheap...probably won't find cheaper than this site, http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk . as for where to ride, you cant go wrong with france or austria, but this season seems like an epic one for the french alps. From the looks of things out my window, and the burning sensation I have in my legs from the last couple of days riding, this season is gonna be sick!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HI,

I have just signed up to this forum. I too want to go away with my OH for the xmas week.

We started looking at places today but it seems very expensive.

How late should we leave it to book to benefit from the last minute factor?

Basically we want somewhere with good snow at that time and more piste km than Borovets but it doesn't have to be immense.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've got some space in San Cassiano, Italian Dolomites - £439 per person 20th - 27th December.

Also got some space in Les Coches, could do 3 nights 23rd - 26th Dec at £139, 6 nights 23rd - 29th December at £338 or 9 nights 23rd Dec - 1st January at £477. Catered accommodation, also offer evening Geneva transfers at £12.50 per person each way. Full details at http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/chalet-melezes-and-mazot . We do any day arrivals so some other arrival dates might be available if preferred.

You can email me at mountain.sun@virgin.net if you would like further info, or fill out an enquiry form on our website.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mark_20vt, True that an experienced skier could ski Bansko in a day, maybe not all the off piste but anyway why not have a look at this and see if you could manage it in the second day.. http://www.freemountains.com/en/summer01_en.htm
latest report
struthie wrote:
HI,

I have just signed up to this forum. I too want to go away with my OH for the xmas week.

We started looking at places today but it seems very expensive.

How late should we leave it to book to benefit from the last minute factor?

Basically we want somewhere with good snow at that time and more piste km than Borovets but it doesn't have to be immense.

Many thanks

Hi Struthie, Welcome to snowHead

I think there's still quite a lot of availabiity for xmas week for a couple, but it does depend a little on your view of expensive. I've not stayed in any of these chalets myself, and it is worth checking who the tour opeator is with any of these deals.

Howabout - http://www.rocketski.com/skiing-FRANCE/LA-PLAGNE/CHALET-EPILOBE.aspx £419 for a catered chalet with flights and txfrs in La Plagne which has over 230km of runs and is great for improvers. On top of that you'll have lift pass + kit hire. 6 days is 203 euros for the lifts, allow say 150 euro for the pass. You don't say whether you need/want lessons.

Same resort, but probably a better location - more ski-in ski out - http://www.ifyouski.com/abs/information.asp?offerid=247649835&pax=2&searchdate=20/12/2008 - £459

Austria - tougher skiing, amazing apres and bang in the centre of town - http://www.ifyouski.com/abs/information.asp?offerid=254181309&pax=2&searchdate=21/12/2008 - £519. Lift Pass probably about the same, ski rental possibly a little more.

If none of these appeal then tell us a little more about what's important for you - i.e. country, cuteness, off-slope, apres, type of skiing you enjoy etc and we'll try to help. Plus give us an idea of your budget excluding kit hire, passes and lessons...

Sometimes I feel like a travel agent wink
snow report
HI,

Thanks very much for the info, I just looked at the La plagne- It looks great. No snow reports yet though. Ia m in contact with if you ski. They have offered me a good deal to Vla'disere whish I am tempted by.

I have been skiing a few times after getting hooked on school trips (Alps) AS an adult I have always goen for cheap and cheerful (Bulgaria, Andorra) Two years ago I went with my partner (his first time) to borovets. Borovets was great but we had skied most slopes a few times by the end so would definitely like to go somewhere bigger. Aslo the snow was a bit mushy towards the end.

Not bothered about nightlife -normally too knackered. Just want something warm and comfortable with edible food.

I guess these prices are OK. Way more than the borovets hol which I dont mind BUT I dont want the borovets experince for these prices!

Lessons- Ski school has always been a bit of a frustration so we were gonna get a couple of lessons in the first couple of days then fly solo.

I have been looking but the websites are a bit impenetrable at times and then I have no idea about the resorts in terms of skiing.

Thanks again!

Struthie
snow report
struthie wrote:
HI,

Thanks very much for the info, I just looked at the La plagne- It looks great. No snow reports yet though. Ia m in contact with if you ski. They have offered me a good deal to Vla'disere whish I am tempted by.

I have been skiing a few times after getting hooked on school trips (Alps) AS an adult I have always goen for cheap and cheerful (Bulgaria, Andorra) Two years ago I went with my partner (his first time) to borovets. Borovets was great but we had skied most slopes a few times by the end so would definitely like to go somewhere bigger. Aslo the snow was a bit mushy towards the end.

Not bothered about nightlife -normally too knackered. Just want something warm and comfortable with edible food.

I guess these prices are OK. Way more than the borovets hol which I dont mind BUT I dont want the borovets experince for these prices!

Lessons- Ski school has always been a bit of a frustration so we were gonna get a couple of lessons in the first couple of days then fly solo.

I have been looking but the websites are a bit impenetrable at times and then I have no idea about the resorts in terms of skiing.

Thanks again!

Struthie

Official snow reports don't start til the resorts officially open (13th Dec in LP's case) but with webcam technology and spies on the ground we can help you out - http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44670 and these photos taken on 22nd November http://picasaweb.google.fr/laplagne.pictures/PlagneCentre#

Given you're partner is only on there second time, then I think La Plagne / Les Arcs would be good as would Morzine / Avoriaz and Alpe D'Huez / Les Deux Alpes. Not much point (IMHO) in paying the premium for Val D'isere or 3v as you won't make the most of it. Lesser well known (to the UK public) places might be equally as good but harder to find late deals too - e.g. Valmorel. For basic information on resorts then checkout www.wtss.co.uk which will provide you will all the facts you need.

There is skiing in other countries too wink

In terms of ski-schools then I would recommend a couple of private lessons with an english speaking independent shool - once you've chosen the resort then come back on here and we'll make some recommendations.
snow report
HI,

I have got somewhere in Val'dsere. I know that it may seem excessive for our needs but the smaller resorts were not working out much cheaper. I feel like and "adult" ski holiday this year.

I am ridiculously excited!!!

I havent booked any skis/lift passes yet. Was looking at www.skiholidayextras.com. they seem like really good value for ski hire. The lift pases all seem pretty standard prices. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Struthie
ski holidays
struthie wrote:
HI,

I have got somewhere in Val'dsere. I know that it may seem excessive for our needs but the smaller resorts were not working out much cheaper. I feel like and "adult" ski holiday this year.

I am ridiculously excited!!!

I havent booked any skis/lift passes yet. Was looking at www.skiholidayextras.com. they seem like really good value for ski hire. The lift pases all seem pretty standard prices. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Struthie

Far enough with the choice of resort, you'll have a great time!!

Lift passes are the same price pretty much anywhere - there's no discounting. I've not heard of skiholiday extras.com - but basically they'll be a booking agency for one of the shops in the town. Just make sure whichever shop they use is closish to where you are staying - it's a bus ride from one end of town to the other.

In terms of lessons, then if you're looking for private lessons then I can thoroughly recommend http://www.tdcski.com/ - I had a couple of 'privates' with them about 4 weeks ago and they were magic.

Now you need to check these webcams on a daily basis - http://www.snow-eye.com/?resort=fr_valdisere

Enjoy the trip.
ski holidays
struthie, Good choice in terms of Val v La Plagne. At least with Val you'll get excellent skiing but also a decent crack at apres, if you're not too tired that is wink . Was in Belle Plagne a few years back and there was no 'village' atmosphere at all - really weird place, but skiing was good.
ski holidays
hourly basis! wink
latest report
Hi all, if anyone is looking for anything over Christmas we have one double available for the whole week and a couple of rooms for short breaks.

www.pensionenzian.com
snow conditions
Got back to base this weekend and my mate who we had been planning the hol with had his cheek shattered by some random drunken little chav and is having to have an op on it so will be out of action right over the festive period... Gutted is not the word but hey, at least my face isn't broken like his! however, now i have no-one to go with as the other lads have knocked the idea on the head...was REALLY looking forward to getting away... Sad
snow report
mark_20vt wrote:
Got back to base this weekend and my mate who we had been planning the hol with had his cheek shattered by some random drunken little chav and is having to have an op on it so will be out of action right over the festive period... Gutted is not the word but hey, at least my face isn't broken like his! however, now i have no-one to go with as the other lads have knocked the idea on the head...was REALLY looking forward to getting away... Sad

Mark

Guvnor was looking for buddies in the tarantaise - http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45168

AllanM is 'single skiing' les arcs, and might be worth a PM - http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45168

Myself and a bunch of other snowheads will also be around tring to set times on the M-V challenge (see sig!), some of which are staying in chaletarc.co.uk which is cheep, but definately the oppostie of 'austrian apres'

good luck..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy