Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TomTom Instructions to Bluetooth Earpiece

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone has a TomTom sat nav and thought it might be a good idea to get the instructions piped directly to one's ear rather than disturb the passengers, say on a night drive to the Alps...

It can be done for just over a tenner.

You might think that any old bluetooth earpiece would work, but A2DP compatible devices appear to be quite rare. The TomTom calls them a HiFi Stereo device - presumably for folk who want to hear music over headphones wirelessly.

I've just got a natty little device about the size of a keyfob, that comes with both an in-ear earpiece and a pair of in-ear headphones (both work fine).

You can get them from EBay: Slim A2DP Stereo Bluetooth Headphone Headset (Black) (9 days delivery for me)

It's supposed to last for 10 hours continuous use for music, so with occasional TomTom instructions one would suppose it shouldn't give up just as you're driving through Chambery, but heck by that time who cares if you have to play it over the speaker?

Once you get it you need to charge it for a few hours, then press the bluetooth button for a couple of seconds to go into match mode, then via TomTom Speaker Preferences select the Bluetooth hifi stereo option for instructions, and it'll scan for the device, find it, and then it's just a few clicks on ok, try a test message, and then you don't need to do it again. When the device is on and in range it'll be used, if not the instructions come over the speaker.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't you just turn the vol down, or even off and look for the turn symbols, when they pop up?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker, yes you can, but if you're whizzing along a motorway when instructions are few and far between, it's nicer/safer to keep one's eyes on the road and not have to keep an eye on the TomTom's screen.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crosbie. I just stumbled on your post as I’ve been looking for exactly as you discribe. I am a coach driver and I use a Tom Tom Go 520 but it’s no use at night as the constant direction narrative annoys my passengers so I have to silence it. I’ve missed junctions and taken wrong exits off roundabouts on many occasions when there’s a Sat lag. I really need to use my earpiece as I have reverted to doing with Apple/Google maps but those apps arent vehicle specific so I can’t be sure I’m not going to encounter a low bridge etc. so…. Back to Tom Tom but I need an ear piece. The one you indicated on eBay is no longer listed. Any chance you could point me in the direction of it or let me have some details? Regards.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Michael1962, welcome to snowheads....the original post was in 2008 and he hasn't posted since 2020, but he might see this and reply
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Michael1962, if you already have a mobile phone then load up the free app Waze & the earpiece that came with your mobile.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, It's for use in a coach/bus so needs a specific type of satnav
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Michael1962, There are a couple of similar ones on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=a2+dp++headset&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_udlo=8&_udhi=10&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Waze isn’t any use. It doesn’t allow for vehicle dimensions, specifically height, for low bridges. I use TomTom Go 520 Professional and am trying to get an earpiece that’s compatible with it so my passengers don’t have to listen to the directions narrative that I still need to hear. People suggest turning off the volume which doesn’t help if there’s a sat nav lag and the next thing, I’m looking at a low bridge that I can’t fit under and I can’t turn about. The law says coach and HGV drivers should only rely on specifically designed sat nav and not 3rd party apps. I’ve tried Google/Apple maps and WAZE anyway and that’s not what I’m looking for. Tom Tom don’t do one unless it’s for motorcycles. I spent nearly £300 on this professional satnav which does the job perfectly but can’t find a earpiece to go with it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Michael1962, A2DP compatibility isn't that rare (I don't think). For example, these Earfun Air claim to use the protocol. Or these earbuds on Amazon.
I don't know if they'll work but if A2DP is what you need then there are options out there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Michael1962, welcome to snowheads - ignore the non-useful posts.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to Bluetooth protocols - but some quick googling seems to imply that this TOMTOM device does not support audio directions over Bluetooth. The Bluetooth link is to your mobile device to pull traffic/service information - as well as messages sent to your mobile that can then be read by the device.

The original poster in 2008 - likely was using a different tomtom device that allowed connectivity via an A2DP bluetooth device. Literature on the internet seems to be clear tomtom other than models built for motorbikes do not support bluetooth headset connectivity. This is not to do with the headset being A2DP or not. The A2DP protocol was launched in 2003 - it is pretty widespread now!

1) Have you tried to connect using wireless headphones/headset - what device have you tried with - no point buying an "A2DP" branded headset if the one you currently have actually supports this protocol already. Fairly confident A2DP is not the issue - it is the way the TOMTOM is programmed so no bluetooth headset will ever work in the way you want it to.

2)There is one workaround solution - where you turn the volume down to near minimum and then rely the sound to a bluetooth headset - https://ridermount.com/product/bluetooth-gps-audio/ - good video that shows how this works
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think TomTom GO phone app is available in professional guise now. Couldnt you use that on your phone and headphones from there?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
get the instructions piped directly to one's ear ... say on a night drive to the Alps...

Don't know about other countries but I thought this was illegal in France?

https://www.driving-france.co.uk/french-driving-laws/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The technology and laws governing satnav earpieces have evidently changed in 14 years, so, it's a matter of further research.

Perhaps there's a 'hearing aid' option to get around the 'headsets are illegal' problem?

https://www.lobe.ca/en/blog/adulte-hearing/bluetooth-connectivity
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah so…. The 520 GO Professional is heading for the bin (or eBay) and I’ll just stick with Apple Maps. Ali a bit of a headache is you need a very good internet reception to set the thing up. You do it through My Drive then transfer it to Tom Tom. I can do this at home and it works fine, try doing it in hotel even if you have the premium Wi-Fi code and it won’t go. I went down to Liverpool from Greenock and all was good, tried setting it up in hotel to come back and you get the Be Nice please! annoying “Oops! There are no services available. Please try later”. That helps not one bit, so basically I think TomTom is crap and not worth the money. Don’t buy!!!!!
latest report
Does the TomTom 520 have a 3.5mm headphone jack?

If so you could use a 'bluetooth 3.5mm transmitter' (Google) with any bluetooth earbuds.
snow report
Are you sure this is a TomTom issue and not just crappie hotel WiFi?

Also once you've set it up, don't you just enter your new destination into the unit?
ski holidays
I have the TomTom app on my phone £12.99 a year. Works great.
ski holidays
No it doesn’t have a Jack plug socket. I used the satnav app on my phone today and negotiated my way round Liverpool and Southport without a hitch. I’m now considering dumping the actual £300 tomtom satnav is now redundant. So….. what is the actual point of them? I noticed I can put in my coach height width and length and it does the same job. The app could well put them out of business. I now hate tomtom and wouldn’t buy another.
ski holidays
And yes, I can use my ear piece as well. Jobs a goodun
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
I think TomTom GO phone app is available in professional guise now. Couldnt you use that on your phone and headphones from there?

rolling eyes
snow report
Read above
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy