Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grass Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody know anything about grass skis? Are they anything like the real thing and where can I buy some?
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These arent the roller ones but look like they'd work

http://www.terrablades.com/

Grass skis where/are made by

Rollka, Esam, SpeedyJack try searching on these

Rollka - but in toronto
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/spo/904181069.html

Get some new ones?
http://www.grasski.com

€350 odd euros

Edited to get the english lang site

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 19-11-08 20:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.grasski.biz/?lang=2
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you ever tried them? I've seen people using them on Youtube but are they anything like the real thing? There's no dry ski slope or snowdome near to me and thought they might be worth a try. They're a bit more pricey than I was expecting though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cookie wrote:
Have you ever tried them?

Yes.

Quote:

I've seen people using them on Youtube but are they anything like the real thing?

You can carve on them but skidding is -HARD-. They are much noisier than you might think.

Quote:

There's no dry ski slope or snowdome near to me and thought they might be worth a try. They're a bit more pricey than I was expecting though.

Rake out all the rocks down to 3/4" and mow the grass.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks comprex. I was hoping to use them on the downs near to where I live but it sounds like I may be risking dinging them (or me) beyond repair! I noticed how short the grass was on the videos and wondered how "off-road" they would be. Maybe there's a budding Dyson or Bayliss on here who could come up with a more rugged ski!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cookie,

I've a pair you can buy which I never got around to using.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cookie, it's not skiing, but I would have thought that these days a mountain board would be more fun. By son's got one. You wouldn't catch me on one, but then I'm ancient and I wouldn't use grass skis either.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cookie, the more rugged, the less carving sensation. The Terrablade in the top link is about as rugged as you might want to wear on feet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cookie,

I had forgotten all about my grass skis until I saw you posting.

They are secondhand but in very good condition (I never used them myself). They are made by Rollka in Italy, if you want them you can have them for £60 but they are heavy (postage?). They are in London.

Let me know if you are interested.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welsh, i know its a little late on the offer but i was wondering if you still had those grass skis for sale?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welcome to the fold johnnyzilv,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Warning!!!!!!!!!! Cow sh*t splatters everywhere and fence posts hurt!!!! Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowhead, Dek is the one to ask about grass skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah from an old foggy fuzzy memory point of view.

beanie1, I did promise Mike who had the farm in Scarbrough that I would take some pairs down to his for a blast on one of his hills, I also think Andy was going to send some pairs up.
Might be an oppurtunity for some fun - or to break something.
Problem with grass is that it hurts to land on at speed, although I am sure that I used to be made of rubber with some of the croppers I came.
If he enjoys it, maybe an oppurtunity for a "Grassheads" meet. - Or is that another word for an illegal party Cool

johnnyzilv, keep an eye on ebay, there is the odd pair of Rolkas on there for sale, but if you do buy some ask if they have any spare parts with them, as it is inevitable that bits will break off - and there are lots of bits.
latest report
The jib generation discovers grass skiing:
http://vimeo.com/7379802
ski holidays
Martin Bell, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Previous "SH on grass thread" here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1097138 - I used to G-ski regularly in the late '70s at Usk, and did the nationals race circuit.

It's not the real thing certainly, but great training for carving / weighting / balance etc and a lot of the euro teams used to train on them in the summer I recall.

Unfortunately I skipped my Rollkas a couple of years ago, but still have a bag full of roller-housing plates if anyone's after some spares...
ski holidays
Does anyone have any grass skis in the London area? I'd happily exchange beer tokens for a play on a pair for a run or two, perhaps in Richmond park?
snow report
http://web.mac.com/lsra2005/hillendhistory/Grass_skiing.html
ski holidays
Hi, I realise that I have come to this a bit late but I manufacture Grass skis in Derbyshire. We started in the 70's but when the sport dropped away in the 80's we developed Grass sledges and Turfboards and have been supplying Scout groups, activity centres, etc. ever since. If you take a look at the website www.grass-sledge.co.uk you will be able to see that a grass sledge basically comprises of a plastic snow sledge with a pair of grass skis bolted underneath. If anybody wants to try grass skiing I can certainly supply a pair of skiis, all that is needed is some bindings.
I hope that this is of interest to people.
latest report
AP Leisure, oooh, will those parts fit old Rollkas?
latest report
Sorry, but no. They are similar but different. If you look on the components section of the website you should be able to see all the various parts. I've got an old pair of rollka skis somewhere, what is it that you need?
ski holidays
AP Leisure, how much would you be looking for an old pair of grass skis? and can you fit normal bindings on them? probably a stupid question but I know absolutely nothing about them!
cheers
snow report
Hi,
I don't have any old grass skis, but I could make you a new pair, including a basic binding for 199.00 (inc carriage and VAT). I hope this helps.
snow conditions
I have skied the b'jeepers out of some Rolkas years ago...good for summer training fun (wear elbow pads)....keep a can of silicone spray handy for keeping the treads rolling as easy as possible to keep your speed up. Definitely noisy, but good to keep your balance centered or you end up on your backside! I found the best terrain is a steep, nicely mowed hillside in a public park somewhere, or a steep hill on a golf course (don't get caught...golfers frown on people skiing their courses on rollerskis)...smoother the better. Fun fun fun.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy