Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap 3-4 night stay in French resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice or more if possible please.
A few friends have decided to go skiing in December, I tried to talk them into a cheap European jaunt but they don't believe me it can be done that cheaply, so they have devided to go to the Nevis Range in Scotland on the 18th Decemeber... Now, I'm not as seasoned a skier as probably a lot of you on here, I have never been to Scotland, partly because I don't expect to see much snow there, especially as early as 18th December, so, after reading and enjoying this forum for the last 2 years, I know some of you have apartments out in France? I just wondered whether any of you have a 3 or 4 day stay available in them you would like to fill? 5 people would need accommodation and it would need to be as cheap as poss as 4 out of the 5 are going to be spending money elsewhere on ski hire, clothes and lessons, so, if any of you cool people out there could help, please let me know. it is appreciated!

Also, any advice on skiing on Scotland in December is also appreciated.

Thanks folks in advance if somebody can help Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at P&V holidays they normally have apartments to rent for the 3/4/5 days generally at the lesser known resorts, I managed to get Isola 2000 in Jan this year very reasonably ......... fly into Nice and drive - only 1.5 hour away from the airport .......... ski pass around €80 for four day I think. The skiing is good for the beginner / intermediate with lots of Blues / Cruising Reds ............
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Of course there are lots of us with apartments going cheap in December. St Gervais is not open till 20th, though Chamonix is nearby and will be open and easily accessible if you hire a car.
Scotland must be dodgy for that week compared to the £150 - £200 or so you would have to pay for an apartment ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deciding to go skiing in scotland that far in advance is always risky as there's no guarantee there'll be snow. i grew up there, and on a good day it is fantastic... but on a bad day it is grim Skullie (cold, wet, windy, icey).

don't want to put you off doing it though cos you might get lucky, and the past couple of seasons have been very good. There's already been some good skiing to be had up there this season so 18th December could be fine. but like i say, there could be 60cm of pow in november, but nothing but heather in december rolling eyes .

have you costed it out though? is it actually that much cheaper to do to scotland than the alpes? let me know what you find, i might just make my way up there for a long weekend myself! do it last minute though to make sure the snow is there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try http://www.snowandtrek-morzine.com (they're snowheads) - they have a range of s/c accommodation in Morzine.. Fly to Geneva, hire a car(s) and drive - 90 mins max. You can check availability and book, don't need to go week to week either.

We stayed in 'Les Nantes' in Jan this year (6 guys) and it was great. Spacious, Clean. Ski-in, Ski out a bit more dubious as it needs the pleney run down to morzine still to be open, but if you drive then it's just a quick drive upto Prodains to access the lifts to Avoriaz.

I have no relationship with them other than as a satisfied customer
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
3 days is not a lot of time if you have first timers with you. They will really need the week to make some decent progress.

I've booked a 3 day trip to France in Feb and it will come in at just under £400 including flights, transfers, ski & board hire, lift pass, the lot.

Every time I have planned to go to Scotland for a couple of days, as it has snowed, the lifts have shut due to high winds. I'd only go there if it was a short drive away and I was going just for the day. Living in the SE that's not possible and its only an extra 1 or 2 hours to drive to the Alps where the snow is guaranteed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
trisco, I have an apartment available that sleeps 4 in Serre Chevalier, PM me if you want a quote for it. I have availability from opening day up until the 24th December.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
trisco, the cost "per day" will be more if you go for 3 - 4 days but with good lessons a beginner could make enough progress in 3 days to be absolutely sure that they wanted to go back ASAP and do some more. But unless you go for a week group lessons are not really possible and private lessons, though generally very good, are expensive.

You'd need to get good advice (available here!) about ski schools. Morzine's probably a good bet, actually.

I'd echo the comments about not planning ahead for Scotland. I skied for a weekend in the Cairngorms many moons ago. First day - bright blue skies, good snow. Absolutely unbelievable queues for the lift. Second day - started grey and windy, ended greyer and blowing a gale so they closed all the lifts in early afternoon. Kept the crowds away, though. wink

But still, it was good, but despite living in Scotland for a further four years the right combination of weather plus time off never happened.

Unless your beginners are already seasoned mountaineers (in which case they'll love it) you are probably right in looking at an Alpine cheapie instead.

Is there any flexibility on 18 Dec? Mid January should be cheap and generally has better snow than mid December, with plenty of cheap deals available.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
trisco, As mentioned, P&V you can do fairly cheaply in Avoriaz or somewhere like that. I think I managed 4 nights for £250 including flights/accom/share of car hire last year (lift pass extra & hire if you need it). OK, so P&V are not a byword for "luxury", far from it! But, if it's just a bunch of lads then it doesn;t really matter (at least it doesn't for me!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy