Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lenzerheide??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads. All plans have been scuppered with Thomson having to pull out of Coventry and my annual short trip to Ski Amade via Salzburg no longer as viable. I am therefore looking at scheduled flights into Zurich from Birmingham and wonder if anyone has any experience of resorts within 2hrs max of Zurich. I am particularly interested to hear from anyone who has skied in Lenzerheide and/or Engelberg. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Drove through it once
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to Engelberg, an easy drive from Zurich. It's a great place.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Checkout: http://www.bergfex.com/schweiz/ for the ski resorts near to Zürich.

You don't say what you are looking for in your skiing trip.

My understanding is that Engelberg is great for off-piste, but is pretty limited otherwise. I haven't been to Lenzerheide, but Flims Laax is a similar distance and that was good over last Christmas.

Why the 2 hours max? That is very limiting and removes many great resorts from the list. Public transport is fantastic in Switzerland and there's a train station in the airport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks hbunny. Reason for 2hrs max is that i am only going to manage 4 days so don't want to spend too much time on the road/train. As far as what i want from the resort. Comfortable hotel, varied ski terrain (been falling over for the last 25 years!!), short distance to the lifts and not too busy. Same as everyone else i guess!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to Lenzerheide, stunning scenery (how very typically swiss) with some breathtaking off=piste below the cable car if you've nerves of steel and an understanding insurance company - seriously... I saw tracks in the snow there which made my stomach flip! Wink

Home to my first green run which made me cry - oh those days! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lots of people from Zurich ski in Davos/Klosters - should be closer and easier to get to than Lenzerheide.

If you like off piste excursions, there's even a neet trip from Davos to Arosa and onwards ending up in Lenzerheide. 45 minute Post Bus ride back to Davos.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Levitt wrote:
Lots of people from Zurich ski in Davos/Klosters - should be closer and easier to get to than Lenzerheide.

I think they go there because it's easier to get to on a train - by car Lenzerheide is much quicker imo. IIRC Klosters is an hour off the motorway from Landquart, whereas Lenzerheide is 20 minutes from Chur, which is only 5-10 mins further along the motorway from Landquart
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St. Anton, Lech, Zurs

all should be no more than a couple of hours from Zurich

If you like off-piste and austrian apres then base yourself if St. Anton, if you like piste bashing then base yourself in Lech. Nearness to lifts depends on where you stay really - oberlech is ski-in ski-out
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wib, We did the half term week there a couple of years ago. A long thin village with skiing on both sides of the valley connected by bus. The snow was very thin when we went but very well managed. Quiet for half term (which was why we went). Typically swiss in every way!
Lots of intermediate terrain but the runs were a bit repetitive. Not enough skiing for a week really but ok for a shorter break.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't know Lenzerheide but here is my dad and friends there in the 30s

Engelberg is fantastic if you like off-piste (especially steeper, but not ultra steep off piste) and have good snow - lots of places to ski it, not just the main glacier. However I get the impression that is probably not what you want (?) so, as several people have said it might be a bit limited. You can make an excursion to Andermatt - but it isn't that close. If I'm guessing right about the sort of skiing you like I get the impression from the piste map that Lenzerheide might be more suitable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been to Lenzerheide-Valbella twice. However, I can't comment on the quality of its skiing as those were the days when I didn't make it off the baby slope. However, this is what I know:

Its a linear town strung out along the valley a bit, it is quite possible for the lift to be a 10 minute car drive or bus ride from where you stay if you are at one end or the other. You can ski on both sides of the valley, and there is nice walking around the frozen lake if you fancy it apres ski. It also has ice skating and a good togoggan run from the top of one of the gondolas - so good if you have someone that doesn't ski in the group. There are several ski hire shops and enough food outlets to be self sufficient if you are in that sort of accommodation. There was also very little difficult driving around loads of hairpin bends in comparison to other areas I've been to when arriving in the resort.

How's that?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch wrote:
Levitt wrote:

I think they go there because it's easier to get to on a train - by car Lenzerheide is much quicker imo. IIRC Klosters is an hour off the motorway from Landquart, whereas Lenzerheide is 20 minutes from Chur, which is only 5-10 mins further along the motorway from Landquart

Klosters isn't more than 1/2 hour from Landquart by car. The train from Landquart to Klosters is only 38 minutes and the RhB isn't exactly the TGV.

From Zurich main station it is 1:48 to Klosters and 2:13 to Davos.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, the RhB isn't the TGV but then the road is hardly a motorway either. Maybe we've just had bad luck but we've never done it in less than an hour (albeit the new Klosters bypass bridge might have reduced the time)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:
I don't know Lenzerheide but here is my dad and friends there in the 30s

Completely off-track but I reckon those photo in the album of your dad and friend skiing are wicked!

How cool must he have beento be skiing in St. Anton in the 1930's - I particularly love the snowbike one as it shows nothing is new wink

This is the sort of thing you'd get in a retro poster..

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy