Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere: Which Private Lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Am going to Val D'Isere for four days, before Christmas. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just at intermediate level and would like to improve my skiing technique. I was thinking of getting a private lesson which lasts about 3 hours and is roughly 160 euros.

Can anyone recommend a good ski school? Or do you think I would be better off in a group?

Thanks. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Norbert666, if you could increase your budget to 210 euros the Coaching clinic with The Development Centre will provide nine hours of first class instruction in a small group, or six hours of instruction in their Skills Clinic for 170 euros. Only thing to watch our for is that you are in resort on the day when the clinics start (they might be geared up for visitors doing a full week and arriving on Saturday).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd second rob@rar's recommendation of The Development Centre. I had a couple of private lessons with them last April and I'm planning on doing one of their coaching clinics in January. The tuition was excellent.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the tips. Will check The Development Centre out online.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have used Martin for the last four years , based in Val'd. Not sure how ihis costs compare as we book him as a group of 3, for both piste and off piste. But my skiing improves year on year.
http://www.skimckay.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rorie Scott of ESF Val Claret. 3 hrs for €30 and he will meet you at the top of the Aeroski Gondola.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
3 hrs for €30

How much?! Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Includes my Super-snowhead discount......give or take €100 Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another recommendation - Rupert Goldring of Mountain Masters in Val d'Isere. He is a very nice bloke and a very good teacher. We are having some lessons with him at Christmas too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
development centre, mountain masters or ICE are all about as good as they get, just a case of finding the course/group which suits your schedule and pocket
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Take a private lesson or a small group you'll get more benefit than through normal group lessons. You may want to wait until the second day when you've got your "ski legs" back.

I agree with CEM and others above with:-

The Development Centre (TDC), they had a bookings desk in the big Precision ski shop by the tourist office last year.

Mountain Masters in the lower floor of Killy Sport shop next to the tourist office.

I think ICE is more for BASI courses, race training and training instructors.

Which week will you be in Val? I'll be there the w/c 14th Dec..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Rorie Scott of ESF Val Claret. 3 hrs for €30 and he will meet you at the top of the Aeroski Gondola.

Shocked €30?!?

You surely jest?

Rory's a good bloke though, worth trying to contact him or try Ken Smith at Progression. I've done privates with him on a couple of trips and have been very impressed - website here. Stuart Barnard is also excellent, he works with BASS so best to contact him through them.

It's worth asking about Snowheads discounts too, I think Progression may offer them if asked, not sure about BASS.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Norbert666 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. Will check The Development Centre out online.

I'll third The Dev Centre - had a couple of privates with them on the glacier a couple of weeks ago with James.

3 hours for your budget figure and worth every penny IMHO.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the developmant centre is one of the few places when i noticed a massive improvment in the OH's skiing after 3 hours tutition, others have made a difference just not as notable
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone. Have booked a lesson through the development centre, a one to one, for 3 hrs, based on your reccommendations. Cheers for all the advice.

For Welshflyer; We arrive in Val D'Isere early on 20th Dec and are there for four days. Have heard it's very good. For us, it's a warm-up for our Feb trip to Austria. I haven't skiied in France before, so am looking forward to it.
latest report
Another vote for The Development Centre here. Very good instruction, and good fun with it.
snow conditions
Norbert666,

The only problem is, once you've been to Val there are very few places to match it for both skiing and apres ski, most places after that will be a disappointment. I wish I had been to a lot more resorts before I started going to Val 20 years ago.

You'll have a great time. Make sure you pop into the "Petit Danois" and have a "Red Erik". There is something for everyone in Val but you haven't much time to find it. If you say what sorts of things you want to do there are loads of us here to give you more advice.
snow conditions
Hi guys - am off to Val d'isere in a couple of weeks and looking for lessons. Have seen good comments on TDC and evolution2 on the forum.

Is there a noticable differnece in quality of instruction, as evolution2 seem a lot cheaper? They do a group (max 6) for 2X3 hours @ 100euros but Development are 210 for 3x3 hours(max 6). just wondering if it was worth it to pay up.

Thoughts appreciated!! Smile
ski holidays
used evolution2 last week in Val D for 3 x 2 hour sessions including a slalom session, guy called Jean-marie , he was excellant and had me carving superbly within a few runs. Also my son (8 years old) had a session on the GS course , cant say more other than impressive, video of Tom pon the GS.

http://uk.youtube.com/v/_KPUll7kU3s

Have previously used Martin Mckay in Val , but was only for group guiding , 3 plus Martin but very good technically if you can afford it
snow report
hey RobCrock thanks for that! and I checked out the youtube - superb! I'd be lucky if I could do that in the next 8 years...! Very Happy
snow report
went with the 3 day clinic at the development centre in the end and absolutely no regrets. the quality of instruction was just significantly better than my first two experiences (proneige in Val Thorens and a local school in Sauze). my instructor was nicko and he was fab.

would thoroughly recommend it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy