Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corniches - how close would you go?

Poster: A snowHead

Pulled this pic of the Ski Club site as it nicely illustrates two Ski Club members testing the strength of a corniche for anyone following. Corniches usually break a lot further back than anyone imagines. Anywhere from a line 30 degrees from horizontal... both these skiers are potentially in the red zone. Apart from the danger of a fall (people are obviously skiing off this corniche so the slope is probably fairly benign) the weight of a corniche collapse could trigger an avalanche whereas the passage of a single skier would perhaps not be sufficient.

Anyway take care of these things - even if you have the excellent skiclub insurance.

I'm currently languishing in the beaurocratic hell that is French telecoms waiting for my ADSL line to be reconnected so have to content myself with the occasionnal dial-up foray these days. This all means I have nothing to do except go skiing most afternoons .... Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So as I sit in my suburban semi in Little Britain, which paper do I have to buy to see jobs like yours advertised davidof Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a nice photo all the same davidof.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alan Craggs, "suburban semi in Little Britain" Confused Have you moved from South Mordor then?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
err, slip of the keys there Jonpim Embarassed . I meant of course my cold dark cave inhabited by giant man eating spiders wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan Craggs, I hate to be picky, but that cave is actually in West Mordor. With all this confusion how does the Postman find you?

Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, I think you're referring to Shelob's Lair, which as you say is indeed in the Western approaches. However, although it is generally thought that Shelob was the last child of Ungoliant to trouble this Middle Earth, in fact a secret breeding program was undertaken by some small-time necromancers down here in the South, where there are extensive cave systems ideally suited to the purpose.

The Southern breeds may be a bit on the short side compared with the likes of Shelob, but what they lack in stature they make up for with ferocity and numbers. Unusually for their race they have been bred to co-operate in teams, which makes them even more terrifying, especially the females. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alan Craggs, I bow before your superior knowledge...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hate spiders - can we please change the subject.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian, don't you get a particularly nasty variety of this arachnoid in Kuwait? My dad used to tell me the first thing he did in the morning after waking in his desert tent during WWII was tap his boots vigorously upside down to make sure none of these charming creatures had taken refuge there during the night...

We used to come across a less venomous version quite often in Provence ... had to be careful when moving objects around, but they weren't often spotted in the open, unless it was going to rain within 24/48 hours. 100% accurate as well. Wonder if there's an Alpine version for forecasting the arrival of snow?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yup there are a few scorpions, snakes and camel spiders (which are really nasty great hairy things about 150mm leg-span, capable of jumping up as high as a camel's belly where their 4-way fangs have a good chomp while they inject an anaesthetic and an anticoagulant). Here are two camel spiders chomping on each other in desperation at being arrested in Iraq. If you don't like creepy crawlies don't click the link.

Fortunately, all these things tend to seek out quiet places in the desert and you very rarely see them in town. Out on the mountain bikes, the scariest things we see on the ground are a kind of fat lizard maybe 50cms long called a dubh in Arabic. Apparently good eating ........ I'm told. wink

Now back to snow ..... snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kuwait_ian, I thought this was a thread about the greatest book of all time! Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kuwait_ian, I dont like spiders but had to have a look them, they can jump as high as a camel's belly ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
!? Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mick newby, there's lots on the internet about camel spiders. Much of it apochryphal. What is true is they are nocturnal so would have no need to jump to reach a sleeping camel's belly. Their main diet is other insects and scorpions. But they can run quite fast and are pretty scary things if you ever see one in daylight. A Brit in Oman years ago got a sizeable chunk taken out of his leg while he slept. Woke up to find blood all over the bed. And a very full spider in the corner of the room. They are not however venomous.

Now back to snow ..... again snowHead
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, do you get paid danger money Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
davidof, isn't the answer to your question, "Right over the edge!"?
snow report
Davidof's initial point about the break line is nicely illustrated in this image.
latest report
Interesting - what's the significance of the green blob - zone de la trace ?
snow report
As I understand it, it suggests that the green area is the safest to ski - ie not on the cornice itself for obvious reasons, nor on potential wind slab in the lee of the wind. Yes you can get wind slab on windward slopes as well (as illustrated) but usually not so risky on the wind-scoured side.

Perhaps davidof can give us a more in-depth explanation ....
snow conditions
Much as I hate to point out errors to fellow linguists, the term in engllish is cornice, isn't it? A Corniche is an Aston-martin, I believe Smile
ski holidays
It's a Rolls Royce.
ski holidays
This is as close as I'll get to a Corniche, thanks!
ski holidays
wow i see lord of the rings fans here
im from the dunedain.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy