Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

camping in the french alps

Poster: A snowHead
hi, does anyone know a good place to go camping in the french alps over christmas? We need somewhere with a reliable snow record, a campsite or car park somewhere near to the slopes to stay and slopes great for snowboarding!

Also has anyone ever been in a campervan with no heating whist skiing/snowboarding? We want to know if its possible!

many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beekai_5104, you would freeze. Not nice I would say. Especially as the temps can sometimes drop to below minus 20 at night.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beekai_5104 wrote:
hi, does anyone know a good place to go camping in the french alps over christmas? We need somewhere with a reliable snow record, a campsite or car park somewhere near to the slopes to stay and slopes great for snowboarding!

Also has anyone ever been in a campervan with no heating whist skiing/snowboarding? We want to know if its possible!

many thanks

No, it's not possible Shocked But welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beekai_5104, and sorry, I should have welcomed you to SnowHeads.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ok thanks! didnt think so, my tight back bottom boyfriend didnt want to spend money on a heating system! Now he'll have to! does anyone know of any good places to go around xmas?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beekai_5104, there's a campsite open through the winter at Les Contamines (200m from the gondola lift):
http://www.campinglepontet.fr/fr/camping-le-pontet-les-contamines-montjoie.htm

You do need to be winterised and have a beefy heating system, it gets mighty cold at night at altitude in midwinter.

Once you factor in the costs of your pitch, heating, electricity connection, getting the whole kit and caboodle across France (fuel, ferry, overnight stops, food, etc), it's got to be cheaper to fly, hire a car and rent a studio (they're just about bigger than a campervan, only just wink, but at least you won't die of hypothermia) or look for a last-minute discounted package, especialy if there's just 2 of you.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 17-11-08 23:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beekai_5104, You would need a gas heater on at least some of the time and a decent sleeping bag. I mean a proper one with a comfort rating below -10C and a general rating of -20C. Ajungilak 5 season synthetic would be a good one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beekai_5104, little cramped apartments, with far more room than a campervan, cost very little. The advice above is good. And if you do use a gas heater, make sure the installation is right, and the ventilation right, or the thing could kill you, and your little bleached corpses won't be found till the spring thaw.....

In a poorly insulated and unheated van, you will wake up in the morning (if you wake up at all) either with a layer of ice inside the van (if it's a very cold night), or a load of dripping condensation (if it's a warmer one). All your clothes will be damp too, and your ski boots will never dry. Leave your tightwhatsit boyfriend NOW, and find one who will take a nice cheap flight and rent an apartment.

Have fun. wink

Many, many, resorts have camp sites open all winter, and there are plenty of campervans around. But they do tend not only to have heaters, but to have very superior insulation levels than are found in most UK vans.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beekai_5104, just done a quick search on Snowdeals and Igluski, packages (flights, transfers, accom) departing 20/21 Dec are available from £150 self/catering, from £250 Half board chalet or hotel. Check back here for advice if you see something interesting and go for this option.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beekai_5104, Welcome to snowheads. What you could do is to stay in Venosc and ski here. Then you'd be lower (but not necessarily warmer) and could come up in the gondola. Why no heating? If you get electricity it's easy to fix up a little electric heater. If you don't have elec connection, then a long cable - euro camping plug on one end and 4 ganger on the other. Out under a door or small window etc - job done (I speak from experience having lived in a caravan here for 2 years - you don't want to be without heating).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beekai_5104 wrote:
ok thanks! didnt think so, my tight back bottom boyfriend didnt want to spend money on a heating system! Now he'll have to! does anyone know of any good places to go around xmas?

If he's tight, why not try youth hostels?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
luigi wrote:
beekai_5104, there's a campsite open through the winter at Les Contamines (200m from the gondola lift):
http://www.campinglepontet.fr/fr/camping-le-pontet-les-contamines-montjoie.htm

You do need to be winterised and have a beefy heating system, it gets mighty cold at night at altitude in midwinter.

I'm pretty sure that campsite will never see the sun at that time of year, since the village is in a steep valley. The slopes, though higher of course, are usually warmer. Outside the ticket office in the early morning in December is the coldest place I've ever been.

So, I agree with all the other advice. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beekai_5104, well there's this place - http://www.camping-lanchettes.com/chapitre1_en_50.html very pretty (edge of national park) 10 minutes to ski-lift via complimentary shuttle bus..huge domain with some legendary off-piste routes.
But to give you an idea on Sunday it's forecast to be -11 their in the afternoon..and we're not fully into the winter season yet.

You could always dump the BF and come and stay in my toasty warm flat just up the hill Laughing rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

No. You will die.

There are campsites at Venosc (access to 2Alpes by cablecar) and at Bourg d'Oisans (20 mins drive to Alpe d'Huez, about half an hour to 2Alpes), all of which have little mobile home/chalet thingies to let at good prices. Or you could get a pitch with leccy and run a heater. Have a look here, for example: http://www.alarencontredusoleil.com/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Theres a campsite at serre chevalier at chantemerle 300 mtrs from the main lift
ski holidays
skijunkie1, I thought that one closed ages ago?
ski holidays
If you fancy the dolomites (fairly good snow record) then you may want to check out:

http://www.campingcolfosco.org/start.php?page=home&lang=EN&preloading=close

It seems nice as the lift passes almost above it.

Good luck !
snow report
It would probably be easier to ask if there are any resorts which DON'T have camping sites.
snow report
beekai_5104, You don't need to shell out on a heating system, but I found the oil filled radiator the best in the caravan. Just run the cable as I suggested it'll be fine. When I lived in my (very old) caravan I winterised it myself with polystyrene on the walls topped off by hardboard. Double glazing thanks to plastic sheets screwed into the wall around the windows (it had glass windows) with that draught stop behind them. Oil filled radiator and thermal curtains - worked really well. Very Happy I had a single cable feed going to one 4 ganger, thence to another and thence to a third .... worked! Very Happy
latest report
easiski, you do realise that everyone now thinks you are completely barking? Laughing Laughing
snow report
beekai_5104, I have an oil-filled radiator going free, if you're ever in the Hampshire area. With that and some DIY insulation in the easiski manner, you might just survive. wink
ski holidays
Lizzard, "This week I ave been mostly eating....."
latest report
Go to Verbier, stay in Le Stop in Le Chable for about £20 a night.

It's a (quite nicely) converted nuclear bom shelter.

Warm.
ski holidays
Lizzard, I'm sure that's not news to most snowheads. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I repeat what bertie bassett said, there is a fantastic camp site at Les Lanchettes, Nancroix, only 5 mins' drive (free shuttle bus every half hour) from the nearest lift in Peisey (Paradiski/Les Arcs). They have installed 8 excellent log cabins in recent years. These cabins are fully heated , with all mod cons, and I highly recommend the site, having stayed there many times.
The link is http://www.camping-lanchettes.com/location_en.html
If you avoid school hols, you can pay as little as 330 euros per week, for 4 people (in Jan.)
snow conditions
Quote:

If you avoid school hols, you can pay as little as 330 euros per week, for 4 people

But then you could often pick up a small apartment sleeping 4, for similar money, somewhere more convenient for skiing.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
beekai_5104, You don't need to shell out on a heating system, but I found the oil filled radiator the best in the caravan. Just run the cable as I suggested it'll be fine. When I lived in my (very old) caravan I winterised it myself with polystyrene on the walls topped off by hardboard. Double glazing thanks to plastic sheets screwed into the wall around the windows (it had glass windows) with that draught stop behind them. Oil filled radiator and thermal curtains - worked really well. Very Happy I had a single cable feed going to one 4 ganger, thence to another and thence to a third .... worked! Very Happy

....and then the caravan caught fire and everyone died due to me overloading the supply !!! Shocked
snow report
i have heard of trying to ski on a budget but you must be barking mad. as one posted said "dont do it you will die" !!
try the mountain centre in la tania. i think its a bit like a youth hostel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I slept in my car in Scotland one night last season. It had just snowed and I was missing skiing so I drove up after work Friday and slept in the car park of Glencoe. The temperature got down to about -15C and I was freezing even in all my ski gear and a good sleeping bag. You'll definitely need a heater otherwise as others say, you'll freeze. If you're unlucky the temp could get down to -30 or below!
snow report
If he is being serious, it might be time for a new boyfriend.
ski holidays
I can remember many many years ago one new year in aviemore camping and the temperatures got down to -26 I think it was actually not to bad there was three of us in the tent and I wore 2 sets of hellys in a decent down bag with a fleece liner it was ok !

BUT

The food froze solid bread, beer, the red wine froze that much the corks came through the top and ruined it !

It was an amazing couple of days and I am proud that I did it !
ski holidays
backhojo, Au contraire - I lived in that caravan for 2 winters in the alps and 2 summers too. No problem - all the plugs were fused (english) so fuses all along the system. However I'm not suggesting that in this case - only that they need a radiator in the van. Very Happy
snow report
Check out this site for skiing in a motorhome,http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-117.html&sid=0480728d81fddff8faf6d8caf91f094a I have been a number of times, would suggest you get an oil filled portable heater and plug into campsite mains with an adapter that will keep you warm. I would suggest Bourg St Maurice its lower down so not so cold near shops and supermarkets, drying rooms and showers and has the funicular straight it to Les Arc
ski holidays
hey all.. thank you all very much for your advice you have been a great help. Thanks to your replys my boyfriend has now actually bought a diesel heating system for the van! wahooooooo! Laughing
We are now thinking of driving to the 3 valleys or somewhere with good snow for christmas. If anyone knows anywhere free and safe to park for a week that would be really helpful.
many thanks Little Angel
snow report
beekai_5104 wrote:
We are now thinking of driving to the 3 valleys or somewhere with good snow for christmas.

There's really no need to avoid Paradiski on the snow basis - there's over 1m in la plagne at the top as of today.....and it'll now hopefully last until the start of the season proper...
snow conditions
Quote:

it'll now hopefully last until the start of the season proper...

bertie bassett, shhh! Don't tempt fate. It's a long time till Christmas. Time for more snow, and time for foehn winds too.
ski holidays
beekai_5104 wrote:
hey all.. thank you all very much for your advice you have been a great help. Thanks to your replys my boyfriend has now actually bought a diesel heating system for the van! wahooooooo! Laughing
We are now thinking of driving to the 3 valleys or somewhere with good snow for christmas. If anyone knows anywhere free and safe to park for a week that would be really helpful.
many thanks Little Angel

You're in luck! 'Camping sauvage' is permitted in France subject to some restrictions, here's a jerky translation from the French Wikipedia:

In France, legislation is intermediate between these two practices. The camping is allowed but is regulated in some areas.

It is prohibited to camp:

in the woods, forests and parks that are classified as nature reserves,
on roads and highways,
on the shores of the Sea,
within a radius of 200 meters around a captured water for consumption.
in a site or included in the heritage protection of nature and sites,
within 500 m of a classified historic monument or registered,
in some areas designated by prefectural or municipal authorities.
Regulatory panels are affixed at access points usual areas. Any parking for more than three months per year, excluding plots must be authorized by the mayor, permission is given for three years. It is allowed to camp on public property wherever it is not prohibited.

So seems like you need to find a parking area off road that isn't a protected site or doesn't have a prohibition sign at the entrance.

When I was a kid, we used to stop overnight in the quieter rest areas on French motorways without problems, maybe an option for you on the way down.

I still can't help thinking that once you add in all the costs of getting your van there and what it will cost once you're there to keep warm and fed, you aren't going to save much compared to a cheap flight & apartment or a last-minute package in a hotel with breakfast and evening meal. It will certainly be a lot more comfortable than waking up in a dripping wet van, putting on damp clothes and having to cook in cramped conditions after a hard day's boarding.

Camping's fun in summer but not winter...in the mountains!
latest report
There are camper van parking areas in Val d'Isere (La Daille), 2Alpes (entrance to resort) and Alpe d'Huez (Les Bergers). Don't know about the 3V, but I suspect that if you try it in Courchevel you will probably be shot for lowering the tone. Laughing
latest report
Quote:

It will certainly be a lot more comfortable than waking up in a dripping wet van, putting on damp clothes and having to cook in cramped conditions after a hard day's boarding.

and even with a heater (indeed especially with a heater) the van will certainly be dripping wet unless it's insulated to the spec required for very cold temperatures. As I noted above, vans built or converted in the UK are rarely insulated to that level.
snow conditions
There's really no need to avoid Paradiski on the snow basis - there's over 1m in la plagne at the top as of today.....and it'll now hopefully last until the start of the season proper...[/quote]

ok that sounds great!
I will have to research into the area a bit more.. and see how long it will take to drive. Do you know how much the lift passes are for a week?

We aren't too worried about the cost of getting there- its more of an adventure! We love travelling about in the van, cant wait for it to be our home over christmas! If the guys in caravans can do it so can we!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy