Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble Airport and Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Flying to Grenoble on Friday to try out the early season snow in VT, so I've a bit of a drive and by the look of the forecasts snowchains will be needed. I'm not too chuffed about getting ripped off with the extortionate charges from the hire car places so wondered if anyone knew of anywhere close by that sells them? Last time I flew to Grenoble there seemed to be a supermarket about to open close by, would they have them does anyone know? I know in Italy the supermarkets sell them at great prices and wondered if it was the same in France? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grimsby Ranger, you might be able to get them at the airport without extortionate charges (worth asking when you get there, it's tricky in advance). If not, any big French supermarket should have a choice of basic chains in all the ordinary sort of sizes. Or you might find a "Feu Vert" car accessory place, which could have a better range. It looks as though you might get very lucky with the snow. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grimsby Ranger, Who are you hiring the car from? Some agents have a compulsory 'winter pack' after certain dates. Alamo in Geneva has a compulsory 9e per day fee for their option.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grimsby Ranger, That supermarket at Grenoble airport is not far I guess you could drive over ans see if they have chains , if not pop back to the car hire place and pay their fees or drive into Grenoble checking each supermarket, but it does look although you may need them snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grimsby Ranger, there's a Super U just round the corner, should have them (turn right out of the airport, follow the signs). If not, then stop at the Geant shopping centre at Albertville and check out Feu Vert (Halfords type place) or Geant itself. You won't need them before you get to Albertville.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi All, thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated. I'll ask when I get there what they're going to charge me then compare to the supermarkets and/or stop off at Albertville, great info, thanks. Certainly looks like I'm going to need them snowHead , just hope the wind isn't too bad. Thanks again all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you get to Moutiers before 530 pm, they have them for 25 Euro in the supermarket (Hyper).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, Stansted flight in the morning so should be OK. €25 sounds good, gives me an idea on what to pay. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grimsby Ranger, don't waste too much time trying to knock off a few euro. and if you're stuck with buying more expensive ones because there's been a big rush on snowchains, with the weather coming in, you can console yourself with the thought that (generally speaking) the more expensive chains are easier to fit. Please tell us a nice snowy story when you return! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi pam w, I won't wink . It just winds me up how much the hire companies charge for them, especially as 9 times out of 10 they won't be used.....probably more wink . I know it sounds stupid but I'd rather pay a bit more for a set then give them to someone who needs them rather than pay the hire charge. Anyway enough of my moaning I can't wait for the weekend, it's been a long summer wink . I'll try and remember the camera and let you all know how it went, should be good with the snow that's forecast and the ski testing. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grimsby Ranger, Which company are you hiring a car from? What the rate they are charging? I hired from Holiday Autos, and the winterpack, inc chains, in included in the hire (actual hire is Alamo) and its much cheaper than direct with Alamo.
Have a good journey, and give us a few reports from VT. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BMF_Skier, I've booked through e-bookers and it's actually Avis, I know they're usually one of the more expensive but I've had it booked ages and got a decent deal on it. I'll ask at the desk when I pick the car up and see. I'll report back on the weekend snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi All

It was €30 to hire chains so I thought I'd buy a pair instead. The Super U near Grenoble airport didn't sell them, I tried a couple more supermarkets on the way and had no joy so stopped off at the Geant shopping centre in Albertville (thanks Lizzard), the only place selling them at the minute was the Feu Vert (the big supermarket will have some in about a week). They were €44 to fit the tyres we had so it worked out a bit more but I've now got some chains, though they don't fit my car Embarassed . It doesn't matter as they'll fit another hire car sometime. I didn't want to risk it to Moutiers as time was getting on. We needed them for the last few miles to VT but boy did we need them coming home on Monday Shocked . A big dump on the Sunday night so I thought I might need them for most of the way to the N90, it turned out I needed them all the way and when we got to the N90 it was snowing hard and the carriageways were chaos. Lorries were stranded with cars all over the place, thankfully mainly going in the other direction to us. Got the chains off just before Albertville Shocked . Had a great weekend in VT, the ski testing was spot on, well worth going to one. The trouble is it worked and I was bowled over by the new K2 Apache Xplorer, unfortunately I can't justify getting any yet.........but it's hard saying no wink .

Cheers all for your help.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grimsby Ranger, that's interesting. Glad you had a good time, and hope you were practising a bit. Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Please tell us a nice snowy story when you return! snowHead

That's what I said, and you did! Having to use chains all the way to Albertville is quite unusual but a useful antidote to all those people who've spent 6 days in 10 years driving to ski resorts and say "you'll only need chains in the resort".

I've got a spare set of chains too, from a previous car, and don't know what size they are any more. They sit looking at me in the garage. I'm happy to give them away (they fitted the standard issue wheels on an elderly Toyota Carina) but I can't bring myself to chuck them in the bin.
snow report
Hi easiski, hope you're well. A bit of practice but not as much as I should have done, also very rusty Embarassed . How's LDA, great I bet snowHead .

Well I must admit pam w, I've been as bad as anyone in the past and 'risked' times without chains etc. and fortunately got away with it. If I'd tried that last weekend I may have got to the resort but there's no way I'd have made it back to Grenoble for my flight. Due to the weather we left very early and I'm glad we did as it took us a long time to get to the airport. I did get a bit worried when I saw the state of the N90 that we'd be stuck on it for a while and risked missing the flight but fortunately our side kept moving on the outside lane. The inside was blocked with lorries.

I've put a couple of photos up on the mediazone, a couple on the Saturday showing some of the tents with the test skis and some on the Sunday when the sun came out. It was that blinking cold though the camera didn't come out for long, I just took a few snaps in the same place Embarassed then warmed up on the skis snowHead . I'll attach them when I can remember how to do it wink

A good old copy & paste, two showing the tents

And a few on the Sunday...from the same spot wink

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy