Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go 8th Dec for a week

Poster: A snowHead
I've got a week booked off work for week commencing 8th Dec... (just myself & a mate) so where is the best place to go for good snow/open lifts between 6th & 14th Dec in Europe.

My mate suggested Zermatt, but I'm finding difficulty finding anything online. I've never boarded so early in Dec, so any advice would be much appreciated.

I've trawled through various snow reports, but with some conflicting info...

PS. We are both fairly experienced boarders.

Thanks in advance. wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia? - and you can ski into Zermatt too...plus the food is cheaper
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
europa, Tignes? Val Thorens? Wherever you decide, it needs to be high or you need to be lucky!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The reason I suggested Cervinia is that they already have good snow cover down to the resort(I've been there last weekend), and with the low temps announced, I can't see that going away.

There are many others of course. St Anton will be open and they're now forecasting a solid snowfall. Saas Fee has good snow. I would be very surprised if you couldn't find accommodation in 95% of resorts that early. Zermatt may be booked because people know it offers early skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BMF_Skier, Look at the snow reports threads - no problem by the look of it this year above about 1600m

europa, LDA - It's clear we could be open to the Cretes right now, and with more snow forecast in the next 2 weeks, by the time we open on 29th Nov we should be laughing. don't fall into the trap of thinking that the highest resorts always have the highest skiing! Shock Easy transfers, room at the inn of Scuba Ski if interested, + other snowheads in town to meet - what could be better?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Obergurgl.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
europa, Tignes. Loads of deals on Crystal website. Have a utchers on ifyouski.com too - you'll find a deal for that week. Why not join myself and a few others in Val D'isere that week - £300 in a catered chalet with YSEski.com.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the advice guys/gals.

Specialman - Tignes/Val sounds good, but I've been there for the last 2 yrs, so would love to try somewhere else! - Thanks for the offer though Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would second horizon, as St Anton is just about to get a HUGE dump of snow starting Thursday
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PS Forgot to add that you'll be in town for the big annual party at the Mooserwirt www.mooserwirt.at
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
europa wrote:
... Tignes/Val sounds good, but I've been there for the last 2 yrs....

Lucky barsteward Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BMF_Skier wrote:
europa, Tignes? Val Thorens? Wherever you decide, it needs to be high or you need to be lucky!

all the glaciers over here in austria have been open for several weeks now, i have already had 2 great powder days - try http://www.glacier-skiing.com
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers - Austria does sound appealing :0)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
europa, If you are thinking about St Anton, this website is good for finding central accommodation http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/ You will need to contact owners direct but alle spiek perfekt Englisch. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski wrote:
alle spiek perfekt Englisch. wink

nice try Boabski wink
snow report
Thanks boabski

PS. Specialman - I didn't mean I've been living there for 2 yrs - just visited 2 yrs on the trot !!!!
ski holidays
ineedsnow, Ich kann auch ein bischen Deutsch sprechen (of sorts). Noch funf Bier bitte Razz
snow report
boabski wrote:
ineedsnow, Ich kann auch ein bischen Deutsch sprechen (of sorts). Noch funf Bier bitte Razz

well you seem to have the perfect grounding Smile

But in Tirol this is 'No funf Bier holbe' and you have to say it out of the very depths of your throat and with your mouth almost closed. I might be saying those exact words tonight as the markets have opened for action over here.
snow report
europa, Try Morzine, we have loads of snow forecast now so probably going to be open from 29th November. The locals are all fitting their snow tyres, sure sign.
snow report
Thanks everyone - managed to get a place sorted in St. Anton Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
europa, Nice one - you'll love it. Where are you staying? And ineedsnow, thanks for the local tip on beer ordering
snow report
boabski, somethings tells me that you might perfect it through practice. zeas aus tirol.
snow conditions
try

http://www.obertauern.com/Winter.54.0.html?&L=1

snow sure and cheap transfers fom Saalzburg
snow report
Obertauern is one of the most expensive resorts south of Salzburg, it is high though.
latest report
ineedsnow, Ok what does zeas aus Tirol mean then? I'm guessing greetings/regards from tirol Puzzled
latest report
boabski, I already have you down as a local. Yes:

Hi / Bye = Servus (Austrian dialect) = Zeas (Thick Austrian dialect) = Zzzzzzzeas (Table full of well oiled Austrian farmers dialect)

Hope this helps, run it by a barman when you are next over here, you will absolutely get a nod of approval
snow report
ineedsnow wrote:
Obertauern is one of the most expensive resorts south of Salzburg, it is high though.

I did not think it was that expensive especially before Xmas as they offer inclusive lift passes with accommodation
latest report
Hey DaveD, I am sure they offer some incentives but it is generally regarded as the most expensive resort in the region. It has a lot going for it but expect to pay more in the resort for most things. It is still a bargain compared to other leading resorts in other countries but it has definitely got a reputation over here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been twice ,both times the week before xmas, I feel that you have to look at the whole package...we booked a 4* hotel (the petersbuhel) in single rooms including ski pass and half board for €673(this year) and the transfer from salzburg €40 I must admit the apres ski was pricey but we skied all day so didnt do much....not a cheap holidaay but not too bad
snow report
easiski wrote:
BMF_Skier, Look at the snow reports threads - no problem by the look of it this year above about 1600m europa, LDA - It's clear we could be open to the Cretes right now, and with more snow forecast in the next 2 weeks, by the time we open on 29th Nov we should be laughing. don't fall into the trap of thinking that the highest resorts always have the highest skiing! Shock Easy transfers, room at the inn of Scuba Ski if interested, + other snowheads in town to meet - what could be better?

easiski: Point taken , but, at least having a high resort may mean you can ski to resort rather than have a queue to get off the mountain as well as get up it! I'm off to VT mid Dec so I hope that piste conditions above and to the resort are adequate. In mid Dec many lower resorts are not, unless snowfalls are exceptional. Here's hoping for an exceptional season for everyone! Very Happy
Freezing temperatures are now allowing snow cannons accross the alps to be fired up. Switzerland looks good for heavy snow falls in the next week at all levels. Bring on the real stuff! Very Happy
ski holidays
ineedsnow, Thanks for the tips.
(PS Entered your comp. even tough I'm off to Stuben in Feb. Nearly booked the Mondschein but opted for the Hubertushof instead.)
snow conditions
boabski, Karl, Rebecca, Bob, kIERON ? Thanks in any case for completing a review. Both really great hotels in a sensational resort. The snow record there is just unbelievable. I took a partner there last year who mainly operates in the French Alps and he was staggered at the snow pack at the end of April. I half want to keep Stuben a secret. It is widely regarded over here by those in the know as the best off piste in Austria, maybe beyond. Vorarlberg though.... they have a screwed up Dialekt but it is slightly different to the Tirolean one. Give me a few minutes and I will get you some handy phrases Smile
snow conditions
OK boabski, this should get you a small beer in Vorarlberg:

Klins bierle bittschö

And this will get you five big ones:

Bringsch uns no fünf halbe
snow report
Boabski - sorry for the late reply... staying at the Hotel Arlberg.. looks like a nice joint too!
latest report
ineedsnow wrote:
Klins bierle bittschö

Not that there'd be any Swiss influence in that one Wink Laughing
snow conditions
europa, Stayed there the 1st time I went to St Anton and have stayed at the sister hotel too - Rendlhof. Nice hotel, excellent food, good staff and nice facilities. You're equidistant from Nasserein bahn and Gallzig bahn and only a few mins walk from either. Enjoy
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
ineedsnow wrote:
Klins bierle bittschö

Not that there'd be any Swiss influence in that one Wink Laughing

Very Happy Exactly, German outside of Germany is one crazy language. I thought it was bad here in Tirol until I went to Valais last year, I had to ask them if they could speak 'High German'. In the end I just gave up defeated and none the wiser.
snow conditions
Well, St. Anton was amazing. Powder everywhere, only a handful of people on the slopes, 3 days of bluebird weather, Mooserwirt was great !!! Now thinking about doing a solo trip (no mates around, all doing boring family stuff) for the week immediately after Xmas! Anyone want to put me up for a week? (I'll pay of course!) !!! I forgot how damn good it was to be on the mountains!!!!!!

Edit - Stubens was a-mazing! Zurs was too - but no one there. Spent the day there, must have seen around 10-20 people!!!!!!!
ski holidays
europa, sooo jealous but glad you enjoyed it. Loving the apres cheese musik then???? Need to wait till 28th Feb before I head off to Stuben, mit Familie
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy