Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Footage!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm guessing this may possibly have appeared already but couldn't find it with a search so here it is... speaks for itself Shocked ...

http://video.mpora.com/watch/ic33twAKm/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's the one that was in the program on Virgin 1 a couple of weeks back. Scary.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Professional Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, wouldn't have happened to you then?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This was part of the program filmed by Gethin Jones for Virgin on dangerous hobbies.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steilhang wrote:

No, why do you ask?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

No, why do you ask?
Never mind.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, of course it wouldn't. Holland is flat rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hadn't seen that, heard about the slide but had poo-poo'd it a bit. He really nearly got rinsed, it strange because he was not buried by the time the slide came to a stop.

I like the fact he didn't let go of the camera!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm quite impressed that his beanie stayed on his head!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scarey !!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steilhang wrote:

Surely you don't believe stanton likely to be capable of skiing thaht sort of slope, avalanche risk or not?

I wouldn't imagine very many snowHead are actually capable of that sort of skiing - although probably a rather higher percentage than among skiers in general.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having watched the entire show (thanks to a download from another snowHead ), it was really odd for me to see Jonno Verity being serious, having got so used to seeing him in the Snowfix podcasts playing at being a total pratt.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm assuming here that stanton may be suggesting that, amongst other things, having 2 riders at once on an open, uncontrolled and seemingly uncut slope, one apparently up on a small ridge and the other filming him riding parallel but riding down in a v shaped depression is not wholly 'best practice'.

Damn lucky there was enough energy in it to carry him over that lump in the ground at the bottom of the slide, if it had all stopped there it would have been a whole other story.

Maybe not a lot of people could ski it well and pop off an air or two, but I reckon more than you give credit for could flail down it on clownshoe skis a la tranquilized girraffe.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sometimes I think these people actually want to get into this sort of thing Puzzled IMO
ski holidays
alex_heney, I think he came across very well in that clip then.
ski holidays
Topsmoke, to a certain degree you are right. There is a fine line between between safety and getting the most dramatic shot. There is no doubt that more risk is taken when you have a couple of choppers (for filming purposes) that happen to have a team of would be rescuers on board.
latest report
Quote:

Surely you don't believe stanton likely to be capable of skiing thaht sort of slope, avalanche risk or not

I didn't think the slope itself looked that steep, though the line they took over a few rocks made it look tough. But that's the problem, and that's what makes the clip (and avalanches in general) scary - the fact that a reasonable keen off-piste skier like many of us here could easily have skied the same slope and maybe been avalanched. I agree with alex_heney, the boarder came across well, he was very shaken up and upset and was not trying to glorify the danger as far as I could see.
snow report
I met Jonno several years ago (think it was 2000) when he was based in Meribel for the season - really nice, quiet almost shy guy, certainly not some big head border (that maybe you would think when you see some of the lines he tackled). An incredible rider even back then, sooooooo fast on the piste but always encouraging and helping newbies - his rapping after a few drinks wasn't pretty though.

Certainly will make me think twice about some runs this season...
snow report
This August new zealand Had some very gnarly avalanches all over the place.

There's a sketchy home vid clip on youtube of a size 4 at Craigieburn. They bombed via helicopter, you see the crown break and it carries all the way down to the valley floor. Which is about 500m above sea level, loads of the snow went through the forest and totally destroyed trees. It took them 3/4 days to dig the lifts out. It was quite humbling driving through the forest when they re opened through all the snow banks and looking down at the missing bits of forest and huge trees uprooted and scattered like twigs http://uk.youtube.com/v/sPzwSUPFKiY

The snowpack that was around in august in NZ was very unstable at times, with lots of light dry powder 8% density falling in big dumps over a week with barely any time for the layers to stabilise between dumps. yeah it wasn't probably ideal to go at it the way they did, they'll probably think about it abit more next time, but you can take all the precautions in the world and sometimes, somthing just goes wrong. Its mother nature and the mountains they're a cruel mistress.
ski holidays
cowdoo. He went through an avalanche and kept his hat on. Complete cowdoo. Tosser
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy