Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year Skiing??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.

Looking for advice on skiing for the new year.

Been looking at various French resorts, Val thorens, Les arcs... Was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I have just got off the phone to a guy at iglu ski and he recommended waiting a few weeks to book as he thinks discounts will get bigger.

I have been looking at using TO’s to cut the hastle, but I booked Morzine last march independently (after a mate recommended a decent local estate agent) so I’m comfortable doing that too.

Any thoughts??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bambi on ice,

Am in the same boat as you .................am waiting a while longer as it does seem some 'better' offers are coming to the market. So my advise is to go t/o & wait .
Good luck

Mitch
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you mean skiing over New Year's eve - i.e going away on the 27th/28th Dec and coming back 3rd/4th Jan or do you mean a week commencing say 3rd or 10th Jan

If the former then there will be NO discounts and probably NO availability. If the latter then very likely to be able to pick up a 'last minute' cheap deal. We booked on 24th Dec for a trip departing around 5th Jan '08 if I recollect correctly BUT really only works if you are travelling as a couple as you might struggle to get deals if there are 4/6/8/10 of you, other than in perhaps a s/c apartment.

OTOH come 3rd Jan then the Euro will probably be worth £1.20 so any saving in TO prices will go in beer money Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett,

I,m talking new year week , going out 27th/28th .There are some discounts appearing , although limited...........however quite a 'few' of these are sticking so fingers crossed.

Mitch
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mitchell wrote:
bertie bassett,

I,m talking new year week , going out 27th/28th .There are some discounts appearing , although limited...........however quite a 'few' of these are sticking so fingers crossed.

Mitch

Good Luck then!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett,

Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett wrote:
Do you mean skiing over New Year's eve - i.e going away on the 27th/28th Dec and coming back 3rd/4th Jan or do you mean a week commencing say 3rd or 10th Jan

If the former then there will be NO discounts and probably NO availability. If the latter then very likely to be able to pick up a 'last minute' cheap deal. We booked on 24th Dec for a trip departing around 5th Jan '08 if I recollect correctly BUT really only works if you are travelling as a couple as you might struggle to get deals if there are 4/6/8/10 of you, other than in perhaps a s/c apartment.

OTOH come 3rd Jan then the Euro will probably be worth £1.20 so any saving in TO prices will go in beer money Laughing

WE are traveling as a couple and will be going on the 27th/28th for a week... I know a week later is a lot cheaper but I am a self employed contractor so the lost fees counteracts the cheaper prices!

I've been thinking Val Thorens because its got the rep for been snow sure, but i have had mixed reports from mates... any thoughts?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are also a couple looking to get away for the New Year

Searching through the catered chalet listings there still seems to be quite high availability so prices could well fall

Was thinking of maybe putting a listing on Snowheads to see if any other couples would be interested in taking a catered chalet. So if you are let me know, we are in our early / mid 30's based North West of Watford. One average and one novice skier who spend just as much time 'admiring the view' (or bar) as hitting the slopes! So if you are up for a bit of fun and a 'snowy' New Year PM me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bambi on ice wrote:
I've been thinking Val Thorens because its got the rep for been snow sure, but i have had mixed reports from mates... any thoughts?

Where to ski & snowboard say "For the enthusiast looking for the best snow available, it's difficult to beat Val Thorens. That wonderful snow lies on some pretty wonderful slopes suitable for everyone from beginner to expert. And the village - always one of the better-designed high-altitude stations - gets more attractive as it continues to develop, and gain more smart accommodation and restaurants. But we still prefer a cosier base elsewhere in the Three Valleys. That way, if a storm socks in, we can play in the woods; if the sun is scorching, we have the option of setting off for Val Thorens. The formula simply doesn't work the other way round. For a pre-Christmas or an April trip, though, it's the best base."

http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&desc=&id=102&go.x=19&go.y=11&go=Search

Or very own Johnnyboy was there for last season and posted a long thread here with regular updates: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=789303&highlight=hello+val+thorens#789303

Having skied it from Les M and also other parts of 3v, to my mind it's got a bit of potential for being 'stormed-in' - i.e lifts closed due to high winds. Yes you can get down to lower levels easily but it's quite barren, and as a result I opted to go for Paradiski for the upcoming season over Val T.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
barney2201,

We are mid / late 20's based in Manchester. Always good to meet people so I'd be intersted in the chalet option or even just arranging for a post ski drink if we end up in the same resort!

bertie bassett,
Thanks for the advice, The thread by Johhnyboy is an entertaining read (not got very far yet)... intresting that he stayed in Temples du soleil which gets roundly slated on the independent review sites!

Will read up on Paraddiski!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy